Apr 27, 2020
Qualcomm products mentioned within this post are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Today Qualcomm Technologies introduced Qualcomm Quick Charge 3+ Technology, our latest addition to the Quick Charge family, the biggest fast-charging ecosystem in the world with 1000+ accessories and devices worldwide. With Quick Charge 3+’s faster charging and affordability, there’s now the opportunity to enrich lives around the world with the convenience of Quick Charge technology.
Quick Charge 3+ will be available first on Qualcomm Snapdragon 765 & Snapdragon 765G, followed by other new Snapdragon platforms across tiers in 2020. Xiaomi’s Mi 10 Lite Zoom, powered by the Snapdragon 765G, is the world’s first smartphone with both Quick Charge 4+ and Quick Charge 3+ charging technology.
Quick Charge 3+ focuses on bringing advanced fast charging at a lower price point:
- Fast Charging and better efficiency: 0%-50% in 15 minutes, 35% faster and 9 degrees Celsius cooler comparing to previous generations*
- Quick Charge 3+ will support industry standard USB type A-to-type C cables and accessories that support scalable voltage with 20mV steps from Quick Charge 4, which are more affordable for OEMs and consumers
- Quick Charge 3+ is backward compatible with previous-generation Quick Charge devices and newer devices can work with Quick Charge 3+ accessories thereby always providing the most flexible charging experiences
- Other key features: Integrated cable power capability/identification, various safety mechanisms
Quick Charge 3+ supports new PMICs such as SMB1395/SMB1396, meaning:
- Scalable architecture to allow OEMs to a move to higher charge power with the same software implementation and address different system requirement in terms of PCB design, charger IC location, etc.
- Support of ultra-fast charging with lower-cost, variable voltage charging accessories such as Quick Charge 3+
- Eliminating the need for external components such as OVP (Over Voltage Protection) chip, sense resistor and others
- Support of two input, wireless and wired (SMB1396)