Mar 13, 1997HANNOVER, Germany
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ:QCOM), a leader in wireless communications and advanced electronic messaging solutions for the Internet, today announced at CeBIT in Hannover, Germany, the availability of French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish language versions of Eudora Pro™ 3.0 Internet e-mail software for Macintosh® and Windows® platforms. The introduction of the five new versions expands the Eudora® division's reach into the worldwide Internet e-mail market, where its Eudora Pro and Eudora Light™ products already have industry leadership with 18 million users across the globe.
"The Eudora division is taking a leadership position in bringing open, standards-based Internet e-mail solutions to the global marketplace," said Jeff Jacobs, vice president and general manager of Qualcomm's Eudora division. "The five language versions announced today are the first steps in providing our worldwide user base with highly functional, Internet-based solutions for communicating across international borders and time zones." Jacobs noted that the Eudora division is approaching the globalization of e-mail from several perspectives, including Eudora software's Extended Messaging Services API, which allows for development of third-party applications, such as natural human language translation.
The Internet's most robust messaging solution, Eudora Pro 3.0 software offers powerful, productivity-enhancing features to deliver the highest functionality, interoperability and usability possible. Key features of Eudora Pro 3.0 include:
- Powerful Filters: Greater power and flexibility to organize and manage e-mail automatically. Users can also employ filters for automatic reply and forwarding.
- Enhanced Text Formatting: Users can incorporate various fonts, font sizes, styles, colors, and layout options to give messages the look of word-processed documents.
- Drag-and-Drop Capabilities: Simplifies making file attachments and manipulating mailboxes, messages, and large amounts of text.
- Configurable Toolbar: It is now even easier to access key commands and customize the toolbar to suit each individual user. Users can create new buttons for many Eudora commands.
- Multiple E-mail Accounts: Users can now access different Internet mail server accounts from within a single copy of Eudora Pro 3.0. (Windows platform only).
- Floating Dockable Mailbox Window: Provides users with a simple graphical interface for message, mailbox, and folder management (works with Windows95 or Windows NT™ only).
- Multiple Address Books: Users can create multiple address books that include e-mail addresses, group lists, physical addresses, telephone and fax numbers.
- Capability-Enhancing Plug-ins: The new Extended Messaging Services API allows other applications that support the API to work directly with Eudora Pro software. Plug-in applications could include human language translation, data compression, image format conversion, content analysis, and data security services.
- Support for Stationery: Users can now create templates for outgoing messages and use them in automatic responses.
- Enhanced Mail Server Control: Allows control of mail transfers and storage on the e-mail server. Users can limit the size of messages they want automatically downloaded or limit how long they want deleted messagesto stay on the server.
- Multiple Signatures: Users can create and use many different signatures to personalize messages.
- Active Internet Hotlinks: Users can double-click a URL in an e-mail message to have Eudora Pro software signal your browser to jump to that webpage.
The Eudora division has dramatically increased its international presence with the assistance of a global distribution network. Master distributor Ingram Micro N.V.-S.A. will be offering the new localized version to its international resellers. Three major department store chains in Europe will carry the product, El Corte Ingles in Spain, Exell Maxima in Belgium and FNAC in France. A complete listing of authorized Eudora Pro resellers can be found on the Eudora website at http://www.eudora.com/channel.html. The Eudora division is also actively seeking additional resellers worldwide. Resellers interested in getting additional information can send inquiriesto [email protected].
With over 18 million users, the Eudora family of software products is the world's most widely-used Internet e-mail solution, providing comprehensive client/server solutions for Internet/intranet messaging. Available for the Windows®, Macintosh® and Newton® platforms, Eudora Light™ and Eudora Pro™ are best-of-class Internet e-mail client software products. Eudora Pro 3.x has powerful features that deliver exceptional levels of productivity, ease-of-use and flexibility for users who process high volumes of Internet e-mail, while Eudora Light 3.0.1 software sets new standards for Internet e-mail freeware with a wide range of enhanced capabilities. Eudora WorldMail™ Server is a powerful server software that provides fast, reliable messaging services for the Windows NT platform.
OEM and bundling agreements include industry leaders such as Microsoft, IBM, NETCOM and 3Com. Eudora Pro software has been licensed to a wide range of corporations including MCI, Cisco, GTE, Lockheed Martin and Schlumberger. Many of the world's leading universities, including MIT, Stanford, The University of California, Brown and Cornell, also use Eudora Internet e-mail software.
For more information regarding the Eudora family of products, visit the division's World Wide Web site at http://www.eudora.com.
Headquartered in San Diego, Qualcomm develops, manufactures, markets, licenses and operates advanced communications systems and products based on its proprietary digital wireless technologies. The Company's primary product areas are the OmniTRACS® system (a geostationary satellite-based, mobile communications system providing two-way data and position reporting services), CDMA wireless communications systems and products and, in conjunction with others, the development of the Globalstar™ low-earth-orbit (LEO) satellite communications system. Other Company products include the Eudora family of electronic messaging software, ASIC products, and communications equipment and systems for government and commercial customers worldwide. For more information on Qualcomm products and technologies, please visit the Company's web site at http://www.qualcomm.com.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including timely product development and commercial implementation of the Company's CDMA technology, continued growth in the CDMA subscriber population and the scale up and operations of CDMA systems, timing and receipt of license fees and royalties, the Company's ability to successfully manufacture significant quantities of CDMA or other equipment on a timely and profitable basis and those related to performance guarantees, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 29, 1996 and most recent Form 10-Qs.
# # #