Oct 27, 2016
Qualcomm products mentioned within this post are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Sustainability at Qualcomm
Oct 11, 2016 | 1:59
What does sustainability mean to Qualcomm? It’s a question I love to answer, and it’s a question I’m surprised I’m not asked more often.
At Qualcomm, we define sustainability as a strategy that drives long-term growth and profitability. This means including environmental, social and corporate governance issues in our business decisions as they relate to our key spheres of influence: our workplace, our supply chain, local communities, our industry and the public policy realm.
In 2013, we strengthened our approach to sustainability by undertaking our first materiality assessment to prioritize our efforts on the issues of greatest importance to Qualcomm, the mobile industry and our stakeholders. We expanded our Qualcomm Sustainability and Reporting (QSR) governance structure to reflect these priorities, introduced new reporting processes and enhanced our efforts in key areas such as science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education and conflict minerals.
We updated this materiality assessment in 2015 to reflect global sustainability trends and developments, technology innovations and the evolving expectations of our stakeholders. Based on the outcomes of this project, we will continue to focus our resources, programs and reporting on the following priority areas:
- Transformative Technology: Sustainability at Qualcomm means using our technology to empower people and transform life around the globe, through smarter cities, efficient transportation, cost-effective healthcare, and economic development. Qualcomm Wireless Reach is one example of how we are using mobile to improve social and economic development. Over the last 10 years, Wireless Reach has positively impacted nearly 10 million beneficiaries.
- Sustainable Product Design: We design products in a way that protects people and the planet and sustainably procure rare and precious materials and minerals.
- Privacy and Security: Sustainability at Qualcomm means promoting privacy and data protection across the mobile ecosystem. In our company, in our products and in the mobile industry, we’re working to process personal data responsibly and to make data more secure.
- STEM Education: We are cultivating tomorrow’s workforce, by supporting science, technology, engineering and math education at all levels, and we work to expand these educational opportunities to underrepresented students globally. The Qualcomm Thinkabit Lab is the combination of a lab, makerspace and classroom for 6-8th grade students from all cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Inclusion and Diversity: We embrace a range of perspectives, which is why we are creating a company that reflects the world.
- Ethical Governance: Whatever we do, we believe in doing business “The Qualcomm Way,” by acting with the highest level of integrity and respect for everyone.
Sustainability at Qualcomm means inventing for the future, and we will continue to invent, build and share solutions to challenges that have yet to arrive.