Sep 10, 2014HONG KONG
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM), today announced a range of new products and technologies designed to drive high-performance computing and connectivity to entry-level and mainstream smartphones and tablets. The newest addition to its Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 200 tier, the Snapdragon 210 processor, will offer integrated multimode 3G/4G LTE and LTE Dual SIM for entry-level smartphones. QTI also today unveiled the company’s first LTE-equipped tablet reference design, enabling OEMs and ODMs to create and introduce a new class of multimode 3G/4G LTE connected tablets. Initial versions of the tablet reference design will be available with the Snapdragon 410 and 210 processors. Lastly, QTI announced its newest 28 nm transceivers which are optimized to support LTE and LTE Advanced devices in the mid and entry tier, as well as its next-generation Qualcomm RF360™ front-end solutions which enable device makers to easily customize LTE Advanced products for global or regional band combinations with enhanced performance and power efficiency.
“We are committed to delivering high-performance connected mobile experiences across all tiers of our product portfolio,” said Jeff Lorbeck, senior vice president and chief operating officer, Qualcomm Technologies, China. “These announcements further cement our commitment in broadly driving LTE and LTE Advanced to enable our customers the flexibility to deliver high-speed connectivity and an advanced mobile experience at affordable prices.”
Additional features of the Snapdragon 210 processor include:
- Seamless, advanced LTE connectivity with fully integrated 4G LTE-Advanced Cat 4 Carrier Aggregation, LTE Broadcast and LTE Dual SIM/Dual Standby — all firsts in this category of products.
- High-quality yet cost-effective multimedia experiences with Full-HD (1080p) playback with hardware HEVC.
- Enhanced performance and power efficiency in the entry-level tier with quad CPU and Qualcomm® Adreno™ 304 graphics.
- Superior camera capabilities, including up to 8 megapixel camera support and leading enhanced computational camera functionalities, including Zero Shutter Lag, high dynamic range (HDR), autofocus, auto white balance and auto exposure.
- Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 2.0 support, enabling up to 75% faster battery charging than devices without fast-charging technology.
Additional features of the Qualcomm Reference Design (QRD) version of the Snapdragon 210 processor, available in both smartphone and tablet configurations, include all of the aforementioned features in the processor as well as:
- Advanced connectivity capabilities, including integrated 4G LTE-Advanced Cat 4 Carrier Aggregation, RF transceiver chip WTR2955, and the Qualcomm RF360 front end solution for multiband and multimode support.
Additional features of the QRD based on the Snapdragon 410 processor, also available in both smartphone and tablet configurations, include:
- High-performance, low-power consumption mobile computing with quad-core and 64-bit capabilities and the latest Android™ mobile operating system.
- Stunning multimedia and graphics with the Adreno 306 GPU.
- Seamless communications virtually anytime, anywhere with an integrated 4G LTE World Mode modem with CAT4 speeds of up to 150 Mbps.
To date, more than 525 QRD-based devices have been launched commercially by more than 40 OEMs and IDHs in 21 countries, including more than 30 QRD-based devices launched with LTE. In addition, there are more than 160 QRD-based LTE designs in the pipeline. Among the first expected to launch a tablet based on this new 4G LTE Snapdragon 410 reference design will be FOXDA Technology industrial Co. Ltd., an EMS and ODM service provider for consumer electronics brands worldwide.
“We are pleased to use Qualcomm Technologies’ expertise in connectivity to help us offer a 4G LTE tablet for the high-volume tier,” said Danny Zheng, CEO, FOXDA. “With such a robust reference design, we will be able to create advanced connected devices with rich features and functionality, and do so in a more cost- and time-effective manner, to the benefit of consumers.”
Additional features of the next generation 28nm transceivers and Qualcomm RF360 front end solutions include:
- Two new 28 nm transceivers, the WTR4905 and WTR2955, which pair with the Snapdragon 410 and 210 respectively, and are optimized to support LTE and LTE Advanced multimode devices in the mid and entry tier.
- Next generation Qualcomm RF360 CMOS power amplifier and antenna switch solutions – in both integrated and modular architectures – designed to address the growing complexity of carrier aggregation and allow device makers to easily customize LTE advanced products for global or regional band combinations with a 30% reduction in footprint, with enhanced performance and power efficiency, over the previous generation.
- Next generation Qualcomm RF360 integrated power amplifier and antenna switch, the QFE3320, a configurable carrier aggregation solution that can be optimized for regional band combinations for mid- and entry-tier devices to address the immediate need of the LTE Advanced ecosystem.
- New modular Qualcomm RF360 front end solution based on separate power amplifiers – the QFE3335/3345 – and antenna switches – the QFE1035/1045 – that add design flexibility and simplify routing for 2x and 3x carrier aggregation to support all 3rd Generation Partner Project (3GPP) approved LTE carrier aggregation band combinations that are commercial or soon-to-be launched by operators worldwide in a single SKU.
- Next generation Qualcomm RF360 antenna matching tuner – the QFE25xx – with higher linearity and enhanced modem control for stronger LTE connections in the presence of physical impediments such as the user’s head or hand.
The Snapdragon 210 processor and QRD reference tablet are expected to be available in commercial devices in the first half of 2015. The new RF360 front end products are expected to be available in commercial devices in the second half of 2014.
About Qualcomm Incorporated
Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) is a world leader in 3G, 4G and next-generation wireless technologies. Qualcomm Incorporated includes Qualcomm’s licensing business, QTL, and the vast majority of its patent portfolio. Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, operates, along with its subsidiaries, substantially all of Qualcomm’s engineering, research and development functions, and substantially all of its products and services businesses, including its semiconductor business, QCT. For more than 25 years, Qualcomm ideas and inventions have driven the evolution of digital communications, linking people everywhere more closely to information, entertainment and each other. For more information, visit Qualcomm’s website, OnQ blog, Twitter and Facebook pages.