Jan 6, 2020LAS VEGAS
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Building on the global momentum of Cellular Vehicle-to-Everything (C-V2X), and to fulfill both the vehicle and the roadside infrastructure needs to address secure road safety, and mobility applications, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, today introduced the new Qualcomm® C-V2X reference platform for vehicular and roadside units (RSUs). The Qualcomm C-V2X reference platform complements C-V2X communication solutions by offering computational power to deliver a full suite of 4G and 5G wireless, and C-V2X, solutions, including multi-frequency GNSS location services for precise positioning, V2X message security, signing and verifications and V2X Intelligent Transport System (ITS) stacks. The Qualcomm C-V2X platform is based on Qualcomm Technologies’ high performance, low power architecture, and is optimized for use with software applications to further accelerate the deployment of C-V2X vehicular systems and RSUs in the US and globally.
“Qualcomm Technologies has prioritized development of comprehensive C-V2X on-board unit (OBU) automotive platforms as we help advance C-V2X for the connected car, and we are now extending these solutions to roadside infrastructure,” said Nakul Duggal, senior vice president, product management, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. “Leveraging the Qualcomm C-V2X reference platform, we are able to offer solutions that offer C-V2X connectivity, 4G and 5G wireless connectivity with application processing that pre-integrates Qualcomm® Aerolink™ technology, our proprietary V2X security, as well as signing and stacks, making our industry-leading turnkey connected car, and RSU platforms, easy to develop and deploy rapidly.”
C-V2X Platform Features and Benefits:
- Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 2150 Platform, Qualcomm Technologies’ application processor engineered for smart infrastructure RSUs and OBUs for vehicles
- Highly integrated V2X solution, which includes an application processor, ITS stack, Aerolink Security, message signing, up to 2500 message verifications per second, PC5/Uu modem connectivity, Wi-Fi 6 and BT 5.1 connectivity, MF-GNSS, and controller area network (CAN) support
- Clean architecture with modular, scalable and future-poof design
- Supports secure domain isolation between C-V2X and telematics stacks and applications
- Supports V2X functionality, including ITS stacks, Aerolink V2X security solution with integrated message verifications and signing
- Optimized communications with Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ Automotive 4G and 5G Platforms with integrated C-V2X technology, including simultaneous WWAN Uu network communication and C-V2X side-link PC5 direct communications
- Modem interface drivers and telematics/C-V2X software development kits for accelerated integration and apps/services development
- Driver support for Linux BSP
- Driver support for 3rd party hardware security modules
C-V2X Global Momentum
C-V2X is globally compatible with 5G and complements other Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) sensors, such as cameras, radar and Light Detection and Radar (LIDAR). C-V2X direct communication mode is designed to offer vehicles low latency communications to communicate directly with other vehicles, roadside infrastructure and pedestrians without the involvement of a cellular network, or cellular network subscription, by operating in the designated and harmonized 5.9 GHz ITS spectrum.
From the first demonstration in January 2017 and early activity in Europe, US, Korea, Japan, Australia in 2017 and 2018, to a demonstration showcase in China in November 2019, Qualcomm Technologies has collaborated with global automotive and other transportation leaders to extensively test and ascertain the advantages and capabilities of C-V2X. C-V2X is ready for commercial deployment through a community of suppliers at each stage of the global C-V2X ecosystem:
- Modules: 11 manufacturers have featured the Qualcomm® 9150 C-V2X chipset into modules
- Infrastructure: Over 12 RSU vendors around the globe have products in their pipeline portfolio that are built around these modules; several products from Qualcomm Technologies have been ready for commercialization to roadside operators since early 2019, including the Qualcomm 9150 C-V2X chipset, Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 4G and 5G Platforms, and the Snapdragon 2150 Platform
- Vehicle OBUs: More than 10 tier-1 suppliers and aftermarket OBU vendors worldwide are also market-ready with our Qualcomm 9150 C-V2X chipset
- Several system integrators support deployment with operations that span the globe
Looking ahead on the vehicle and infrastructure side, the Snapdragon 4G and 5G Platforms have concurrent C-V2X short-range and long-range connectivity, with the Snapdragon 4G Platform delivering LTE wide area communication, and the Snapdragon 5G Platform delivering sub-6 GHz 5G communication. The short-range communication, in conjunction with the Snapdragon 2150 Platform, offers the full suite of C-V2X, LTE and 5G connectivity, important processing power for security certificate verification and V2X applications – all in one Qualcomm Technologies reference solution.
Utilizing Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ Automotive Wireless Platforms and C-V2X solutions, Qualcomm Technologies has worked with leading automotive, road operators, infrastructure and technology companies across the globe to demonstrate the benefits and technological maturity of C-V2X technology, including trials and demonstrations throughout the United States, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Belgium, UK, Portugal, Austria, Luxembourg, and in China, Japan, Korea and Australia. Recent field tests using Qualcomm Technologies’ solutions have shown significant range, reliability, and performance advantage of C-V2X direct communications, with more than twice the range and most importantly improved reliability compared to 802.11p radio technology. Additionally, with its strong evolution to 5G New Radio-based C-V2X, the technology offers richer and differentiated experiences consumers continue to demand as we usher in the world of 5G and autonomy. C-V2X is now being commercially introduced, for more information on C-V2X global readiness, please review this blog on C-V2X momentum and the future of smart mobility.
Qualcomm invents breakthrough technologies that transform how the world connects, computes and communicates. When we connected the phone to the Internet, the mobile revolution was born. Today, our inventions are the foundation for life-changing products, experiences, and industries. As we lead the world to 5G, we envision this next big change in cellular technology spurring a new era of intelligent, connected devices and enabling new opportunities in connected cars, remote delivery of health care services, and the IoT - including smart cities, smart homes and wearables. Qualcomm Incorporated includes our licensing business, QTL, and the vast majority of our patent portfolio. Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, operates, along with its subsidiaries, substantially all of our engineering, research and development functions, and substantially all of our products and services businesses, including our QCT semiconductor business. For more information, visit Qualcomm’s website, On Q blog, Twitter and Facebook pages.