Feb 25, 2019BARCELONA
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM), today announced the Qualcomm® QCA6390 Connectivity system-on-a-chip (SoC), the company’s most advanced integrated offering yet, providing superior Wi-Fi and Bluetooth performance for mobile and computing devices. The QCA6390 is the world’s first announced 14nm integrated SoC to support the full feature suites of both Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1. Built to meet the surging connectivity demands of today's world, the QCA6390 is designed to deliver faster, more secure and robust Wi-Fi experiences and enable new Bluetooth audio capabilities such as ultra-high-definition voice and low-latency gaming over wireless headphones, earbuds and speakers.
“The Qualcomm QCA6390 Connectivity SoC sets a new industry benchmark by marrying state-of the art Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 capabilities with extended features and leading-edge design,” said Dino Bekis, vice president and general manager, mobile and compute connectivity, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. “As consumer expectations for always-on, flawless streaming video and crystal-clear audio everywhere continue to dramatically grow, these applications face increasing challenges with respect to battery life, data rates, range and security. The QCA6390 reflects our continuing commitment to leadership in the 5G era by delivering low-power resilient multi-gigabit connectivity with unprecedented range and Qualcomm Technologies’ best-in-class security.”
"Microsoft is excited to be working with Qualcomm Technologies on Wi-Fi 6, allowing more Windows customers to benefit from the latest improvements in security, speed, and robustness of Wi-Fi networks as part of the rich suite of connectivity support already available in Windows,” said Erin Chapple, corporate vice president, platforms engineering, Microsoft Corporation.
“We see this announcement from Qualcomm Technologies as a positive step forward for Wi-Fi 6,” said Dan Rabinovitsj, Facebook’s vice president of Connectivity. “Last May, we announced a joint effort with Qualcomm Technologies to improve connectivity in urban areas with Terragraph and the 60Ghz band, and we look forward to continuing this cooperation to enable new wireless ecosystems and expand access to digital services.”
“Advanced Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities are core to Vivo’s focus of creating the surprising and pursuing perfection in our products. Qualcomm Technologies has always helped enable our vision and success with their commitment to leading-edge, innovative products. With the introduction of QCA6390, Qualcomm Technologies once again delivers on this commitment by setting new capability and performance benchmarks that will allow us to extend our market position in the 5G era,” said Zhou Wei, software R&D vice president, Vivo.
“Qualcomm has been a fantastic collaborator developing the industry’s 5G Ecosystem,” said Chris Emmons, executive director of product management and development at Verizon. “As 5G evolves and connectivity demands continue to grow, consumers expect Wi-Fi performance to keep pace with mobile performance and deliver the same experiences. The new Wi-Fi 6 standard and QCA6390 from Qualcomm will support the experiences that Verizon customers will expect.”
“Acer’s customers demand high performance solutions where Wi-Fi performance and robust security are critical components. Through our longstanding relationship with Qualcomm Technologies, we’ve utilized their advanced Wi-Fi technology to continually evolve connected experiences and delight our joint customers,” said James Lin, general manager, commercial & detachable notebooks, IT Products Business, Acer Inc. “We are excited about the launch of the Qualcomm QCA6390 Connectivity SoC with its advanced Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 capabilities and look forward to bringing it to the industry soon.”
“With the pent-up demand for the speed and capacity benefits Wi-Fi 6 brings to the market, we are seeing an exciting new dynamic, and rapid adoption cycle,” continued Bekis. “Whereas standards used to take three-four years to percolate into industry products, with operators typically coming in later, with Wi-Fi 6 we are seeing across the board adoption, with operators moving first which is in turn driving accelerated network device specifications. By bringing our product to market in such a swift timeframe, we are well positioned to gain from this expected accelerated growth.”
Qualcomm® Wi-Fi 6 for Mobile and Computing
Building on Qualcomm Technologies’ history of delivering game-changing technologies like MU-MIMO and 8-stream sounding, the QCA6390 is a high performance, full-featured, Wi-Fi 6 certifiable mobile SoC (based on the latest 802.11ax standard). Qualcomm Technologies’ enhanced implementation of Wi-Fi 6 features in the QCA6390 deliver differentiation to customers with
Unprecedented Data Rates – Gigabit-class speed redefines mobile user experiences.
- Approaching 1.8 Gbps - the highest throughput of any comparable smartphone chipset to date.
- 1024 QAM - higher order modulation across 2.4 and 5 GHz bands combined with Dual Band Simultaneous (DBS) operation.
High Efficiency to Maximize Capacity – Performance across more connected devices.
- 8-Stream sounding - an essential mechanism that allows Wi-Fi 6 mobile and computing devices to take full advantage of the growing base of 8x8 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi 6 Access Points being commercially deployed.
- OFDMA and MU-MIMO – Qualcomm Technologies multi-generational, field-proven capabilities extend beyond competitive solutions to improve spectral efficiency, capacity and help ensure seamless experiences across congested networks.
Ultra-Long-Range Performance – Improved experiences at the edge of the network.
- Extended range - Dual-band simultaneous 2x2 MIMO operation and 8-stream sounding, combined for the first time in Qualcomm Technologies’ mobile and compute solutions, enables up to double the throughput performance and up to 50 percent extended range and coverage compared to Wi-Fi 5 mobile devices.
Advanced Technology and Power Efficiency – Smaller footprint and longer battery life.
- 14nm process node combined with advanced power-management architecture provides up to 50 percent improvement in power efficiency, compared to previous generation solutions.
- Target Wakeup Time (TWT) – Qualcomm Technologies’ implementation supports up to 67 percent lower power consumption for streaming, Wi-Fi calling and other network intensive applications.
Qualcomm Technologies’ Best-In-Class Security – Broadest and most secure protocol suite available.
- WPA3 – support goes far beyond baseline requirements, with all optional and mandatory elements of the latest Wi-Fi Security protocol (WPA-3), including WPA3-Personal, WPA3-Enterprise, WPA3-Enhanced Open and WPA3-Easy Connect supported.
Leading-Edge System Latency – Quicker, more responsive, and better quality of service.
- OFDMA and MU-MIMO - leveraged across both 2.4 and 5GHz band, is designed to deliver significant latency reduction due to more efficient use.
- Additional latency benefits from extensive innovation and leadership in LTE and 5G for systemwide performance and co-existence that only Qualcomm Technologies can deliver.
Qualcomm® Bluetooth 5.1
The resurgence of audio and voice as primary user interfaces is driving significant Bluetooth innovation. The QCA6390 introduces several notable enhancements including ultra-high-quality voice, low latency audio, enhanced link resilience and support for smaller, more power-efficient wireless ear buds. When paired with the premium Bluetooth features of Qualcomm® QCC5121, QCC3026 and QCC3020 SoCs, the QCA6390 provides a highly-optimized, out-of-the-box audio experience. Key technology features include:
Qualcomm® aptX™ audio technology
- aptX adds premium Bluetooth audio quality and low latency
- Ideal for video conferencing, gaming, video streaming and other applications where wireless quality and low latency are essential.
Qualcomm TrueWireless™ Stereo Plus
- QCA6390 with Qualcomm TrueWireless Stereo Plus supports the trend of removing the headphone jack, supporting up to 2x the range of legacy products and up to 75 percent battery life improvement, without compromising audio quality.
Resilience & Range
- Back pocket or on the table, inside or outside the house, QCA6390 can support up to 18dB of additional Bluetooth link margin compared to previous generations – with only a single antenna, translating to a much more resilient connection with larger coverage area and lower cost of implementation.
The QCA6390 Connectivity SoC is currently sampling to customers. For more information, please visit .
Qualcomm invents breakthrough technologies that transform how the world connects, computes and communicates. When we connected the phone to the Internet, the mobile revolution was born. Today, our inventions are the foundation for life-changing products, experiences, and industries. As we lead the world to 5G, we envision this next big change in cellular technology spurring a new era of intelligent, connected devices and enabling new opportunities in connected cars, remote delivery of health care services, and the IoT — including smart cities, smart homes, and wearables. Qualcomm Incorporated includes our licensing business, QTL, and the vast majority of our patent portfolio. Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, operates, along with its subsidiaries, all of our engineering, research and development functions, and all of our products and services businesses, including, the QCT semiconductor business. For more information, visit Qualcomm’s , , and pages.