Qualcomm Labs Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM), today announced Gimbal™, a mobile context SDK for Android and iOS operating systems. Gimbal enables content providers and developers to make applications smarter and deliver a more personal experience to end users in real-time, based on their location, interests and situational context.
“As smartphones become ubiquitous, they cultivate our digital ‘sixth sense’, said Peter Marx, vice president of Business Development, Qualcomm Labs. “By leveraging the multiple sensors in your phone, Gimbal opens up new opportunities for developers to innovate and create intuitive apps that deliver bespoke experiences for consumers.”
Qualcomm Labs’ Gimbal context awareness SDK for Android and iOS enables application providers to deliver timely, personalized and relevant content to mobile audiences. Developers can choose to include software libraries from the SDK in their apps. The SDK includes:
- Gimbal Geofence, designed to provide low-power, geofence-based location awareness. This enables applications to be “contextually aware.” Applications are able to adapt to what makes sense to the user based on where they are.
- Gimbal Interest Sensing enables applications to adapt based on the end user’s profile/learned interests. This allows the application to be tailored to specific audiences.
- Gimbal Image Recognition enables end users to trigger interactive experiences through their smartphone camera.
- Gimbal Communicate allows for personalized communication via push notification and/or show custom content within an application.
- Gimbal Manager is a web-based tool to manage geofences, profile rules, image targets, content, distribution and analytics.
- Gimbal Privacy allows end users to manage Gimbal and its features. Gimbal is designed to protect the user’s personal information while putting the end user in command over what and when they share their contexts and interests.
“Qualcomm Labs is focused on creating products like Gimbal as catalysts to enable and accelerate new opportunities,” said Peggy Johnson, executive vice president and president, Global Market Development at Qualcomm. “Today’s release of Gimbal will enable the delivery of more personalized content to end users while also providing them more control over their privacy settings and information shared.”
Gimbal will be available June 27, 2012. For a limited period, the SDK for Android and iOS operating systems will be available at no cost. For regular Gimbal updates and more information on accessing the SDK, please follow @Gimbal on Twitter and visit www.gimbal.com. Gimbal will be demonstrated at Uplinq™ 2012.
About Qualcomm Labs Inc.
Qualcomm Labs Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated and serves as an incubator focused on addressing new opportunities. Over time, many products and services commercialized through Qualcomm Labs become new subsidiaries, transfer to other Qualcomm business units or potentially exit as independent companies. Qualcomm Labs transforms emerging ideas and technologies into viable businesses that move the wireless industry forward. To learn more visit http://www.qualcommlabs.com.
Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) is the world leader in 3G and next-generation mobile technologies. For more than 25 years, Qualcomm ideas and inventions have driven the evolution of digital communications, linking people everywhere more closely to information, entertainment and each other. For more information, visit Qualcomm’s website, OnQ blog, Twitter and Facebook pages.