Qualcomm Enterprise Services Europe BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) and a leading provider of business-to-business wireless enterprise applications and services, today announced that it will showcase its new insurance telematics and driver safety solution for the automobile insurance market and commercial fleet industry at the GSMA Mobile World Congress, Feb. 14-17 in Barcelona. The solution is now commercially available for the auto insurance market and will be released for commercial fleets in June 2011.
“By providing real-time driver feedback and actionable reporting, our new insurance telematics and driver safety solution provides fleets with a closed loop process for their drivers to improve safety,” said Bill Karnazes, managing director of Qualcomm Enterprise Services Europe. “We are dedicated to developing new ideas that enhance in-vehicle connectivity, and we look forward to showcasing these innovative new services designed to help improve driver safety on the road.”
Qualcomm Enterprise Services’ technology exhibits and live demonstrations are featured in the “Embedded Mobile House,” Hospitality Suite CY21, the Courtyard (Hall 3), and will include:
• A driving behavior analysis solution designed to correlate the cost of auto insurance directly to vehicle use measured against time, distance, location and driving behavior for use with consumers that opt in to Pay As You Drive (PAYD) or Pay How You Drive (PHYD) insurance programs. Insurance companies are able to access a set of features, ranging from standard data, such as accurate kilometers/miles reporting, to complete accounts of the time of day and types of roads driven, as well as reports, statistics and alerts on driving behavior, such as acceleration or deceleration.
• A driver safety solution for traditional commercial fleets, such as transport or service companies. The solution offers a closed loop process that includes driving profiles, back-office reporting and coaching and training, which will enable fleets to improve safety.
The main features of both solutions include:
• Crash management – an additional service that provides Qualcomm customers with access to reliable and accurate data that enables reconstruction of the speed, acceleration, braking, impact and deviation before, during and after a crash.
• Anti-theft service – a manual, embedded sensor-based or geo-based alerting mechanism to help prevent theft and facilitate stolen vehicle recovery.
• Geo-fencing service – consisting of a user-defined geo-fence zone that sends out an alert when crossed by a vehicle. It also can be used in conjunction with anti-theft services.
• Video training/eco driver reports – reports delivered to the driver on driving behavior characteristics to help educate and train them in safe driving and security.
• Real-time driver coaching – monitors driving to automatically identify high-risk behavior as it happens and provides an audio alert and/or flashing LED to notify the driver so he or she can correct the behavior immediately.
About Qualcomm Enterprise Services
Since 1988, Qualcomm Enterprise Services has provided integrated wireless systems and services to transportation and logistics companies around the world. With more than 1.3 million mobile units shipped to businesses in 39 countries on four continents, Qualcomm Enterprise Services delivers the business insight these companies need in order to operate at peak performance and provide superior customer service. Backed by a global, 24/7, world-class technology infrastructure, Qualcomm Enterprise Services is positioned to meet and exceed the increasingly complex and business-critical needs of its more than 2,500 clients with superior customer care and professional services. ABI Research ranked Qualcomm Enterprise Services No. 1 on its bi-annual Commercial Vehicle Telematics Vendor Matrix in 2010, 2008 and 2006. For more information about Qualcomm Enterprise Services Europe, please visit us at: www.qualcomm.eu
Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) is a world leader in 3G and next-generation mobile technologies. For 25 years, Qualcomm ideas and inventions have driven the evolution of wireless communications, connecting people more closely to information, entertainment and each other. Today, Qualcomm technologies are powering the convergence of mobile communications and consumer electronics, making wireless devices and services more personal, affordable and accessible to people everywhere. For more information, visit Qualcomm around the Web: www.qualcomm.com
Corporate Blog: www.qualcomm.com/blog