Feb 12, 2010BARCELONA, Spain
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leading developer and innovator of advanced wireless technologies, products and services, today announced that it will showcase some of the most advanced innovations in the wireless space, transforming the way individuals and communities live, learn, work and play during the GSMA Mobile World Congress 2010 (Booth 8B53, Hall 8), Feb. 15-18 in Barcelona. The Company’s demonstrations will feature next-generation mobile technologies and services designed to drive wireless growth and develop new markets, new segments and new business models. Highlights of the exhibit include LTE, LTE Advanced, dual-carrier HSPA+, Brew Mobile Platform™, devices based on the Snapdragon™ mobile computing platform and FLO™ mobile broadcast technology, Plaza Mobile Internet™ and Plaza Retail™.
“Last year, Qualcomm invested over $2 billion in research and development and we are looking forward to showing the ongoing results of that investment in Barcelona,” said Andrew Gilbert, executive vice president of Qualcomm and president of Qualcomm Internet Services and Qualcomm Europe. “Qualcomm’s continued dedication to innovative ideas and inventions is helping to connect Europe and people around the world to information, entertainment and one another.”
Qualcomm’s technology exhibits and live demonstrations during the conference will include:
• HSPA+ Evolution: A live demonstration of HSPA+ coverage and capacity improvements using uplink transmit diversity.
• Dual-carrier HSPA+: A live demonstration of 42 Mbps dual-carrier HSPA+ using MDM8220 and commercial infrastructure equipment. Dual-carrier HSPA+ doubles the data rate for all users in the network.
• LTE Advanced: A live demonstration of LTE mobility enhancements with seamless forward handoff using Qualcomm’s LTE Advanced test bed.
• LTE: A live demonstration showing the data connection on both the network and user equipment for both the uplink and downlink.
• FLO Technology: Commercial FLO TV devices, a range of concept mobile TV receivers, and a first-time smartbook demo integrating live TV with advanced mobile media applications.
• Smartphones: A wide range of compelling mobile handsets and smartphones powered by Qualcomm’s integrated chipsets and system software, featuring innovative applications on leading operating systems, including Brew Mobile Platform, Android and Windows Mobile.
• Expanded chipset capabilities: Including Giesecke & Devrient’s MobiCore© secure application environment, which turns a smartphone into a secure, point-of-sale direct payment device; enhanced multimedia capabilities being leveraged for video, mobile gaming and 3D user interfaces; and mobile devices translating surrounding contextual information into smarter applications and better user experiences.
• Snapdragon platform: A variety of smartbooks and other advanced mobile devices based on Qualcomm’s Snapdragon chipsets from leading device manufacturers.
• eZONE charging technology: Enables mobile handsets and other eZONE-equipped devices to be charged wirelessly without the need for precise device alignment.
• Plaza Mobile Internet: Demonstration will show how to deploy widgets quickly across mobile devices.
• Plaza Retail: Exhibit will show the complete application retail solution.
• Xiam™: Showcasing the mobile discovery and recommendations solution.
• 3G Femtocells: Simulations illustrating the benefits of self-calibration, range tuning, uplink adaptive attenuation and femtocell discovery, highlighting advanced interference management techniques that enhance femtocell deployments.
• mirasol®: e-reader-sized displays in color, and three commercial products that incorporate Qualcomm MEMS Technology Inc.’s bichrome mirasol displays.
• 1X Advanced & DO Advanced: The strong evolution paths of CDMA2000® 1X and EV-DO, which quadruple voice capacity and maximize performance of EV-DO.
• Sponsored Connectivity: A new business model to accelerate embedded 3G in computing and consumer electronic devices, offering convenient 3G access to content without a traditional data plan.
• 3G/Wi-Fi Seamless Offload: A live demonstration of seamless offloading of operator-defined data services from 3G to Wi-Fi.
• PixSense: A leading mobile services platform provider that enables mobile operators to create social networks around mobile photos and videos.
• Wearable Mobile Devices: A demonstration of wireless devices based on Qualcomm’s low cost, low power and compact wireless 3G data module design – an initiative reflecting Qualcomm’s vision of the “Internet of things.”
• InvenSense: The world’s first Motion Processing Unit, MPU-3000, through pedestrian navigation/location-based services, authentications/character recognition and motion gesture user interface applications.
• Location-based Services: A sample of location-enabled devices and live demonstrations of Family Locator and the location privacy management platform.
• Wireless Reach™: A wireless video conferencing system via HSPA, demonstrating remote monitoring and social inclusion of the elderly in Spain.
Qualcomm executives also will discuss wireless industry trends during the following speaking sessions:
• Mitch Oliver, vice president of ecosystem development for Qualcomm Internet Services, will participate in the panel discussion “Leveraging Alternative Distribution Channels” on Monday, Feb. 15 from 2:45-3:30 p.m.
• Noam Rafaelli, vice president of product management for Qualcomm Internet Services, will participate in the panel discussion “Creating a Secure Widget Experience from Development to Deployment” on Tuesday, Feb. 16 from 2-3:30 p.m.
• Peter Carson, senior director of product management for Qualcomm CDMA Technologies, will take part in the “HSPA+ and LTE Mobile Broadband – Building Global Momentum” technology seminar on Wednesday, Feb. 17 from 9-10:30 a.m.
• Steve Pazol, president of nPhase, a Qualcomm and Verizon Wireless joint venture, will participate in the panel discussion “Success Factors in Taking Machine 2 Machine 2 Market” on Wednesday, Feb. 17 from 2:45-3:30 p.m.
Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on CDMA and other advanced technologies. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in the S&P 100 Index, the S&P 500 Index and is a 2009 FORTUNE 500® company. For more information, visit Qualcomm around the Web: