Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leading developer and innovator of advanced wireless technologies, products and services, today unveiled its newest showcase of mobile devices and services at GSMA Mobile World Congress 2009 (Booth B53, Hall 8), Feb. 16-19 in Barcelona. The Company's demonstrations feature technologies that go beyond mobile telephony to enable a variety of new markets and business models. Highlights of the exhibit include demonstrations of advanced HSPA+ technology, LTE, devices based on the Snapdragon™ mobile computing platform, the Plaza mobile Internet solution and Xiam discovery and recommendation technology, devices featuring mirasol™ displays and the MediaFLO™ broadcast mobile TV platform.
“The convergence of the wireless world with consumer electronics, the Internet, digital content and services is changing the way people interact with each other and with their environment,” said Andrew Gilbert, executive vice president of Qualcomm and president of Qualcomm Internet Services, MediaFLO Technologies and Qualcomm Europe. “Qualcomm's continued focus on innovation is leading this transformation in Europe and around the world. We are excited to once again showcase Qualcomm's latest technology innovations at Mobile World Congress.”
Qualcomm's technology exhibits and live demonstrations during the conference include:
· Video streaming on HSPA+ MIMO enabling peak rates of 28 Mbps on the downlink
· Mobile computing devices from leading manufacturers based on Qualcomm's Snapdragon chipset, including Toshiba's TG01 Smartphone and Wistron's PBook and CP610 devices
· A variety of commercial laptops equipped with the embedded 3G Gobi™ module for Internet connectivity
· A wide range of commercial handsets based on Qualcomm's MSM7xxx™-series chipsets supporting major mobile operating systems
· A live demonstration of standards-compliant LTE technology interoperable between third-party infrastructure and Qualcomm device platforms
· HSPA+ R8 multicarrier technology, which enables operators to deliver doubled data rates to all users with a significantly enhanced broadband experience
· A citywide demonstration of the MediaFLO broadcast mobile TV platform, including 30 channels of international content and interactive applications that allow users to chat, vote, rate shows and update their social networking site while watching TV
· Qualcomm's wireless network services for telehealth, asset tracking and other applications, and a display showcasing commercial products using these services, including the Peek mobile email device and CardioNet mobile cardiac monitoring diagnostic device
· Various consumer products based on Qualcomm's mirasol display technology, which extends battery life and enables clear viewing in nearly any light; products featured include the newly revealed Inventec V112 smartphone and the Cal-Comp iT810 handset, as well as the Hisense C108, Skullcandy's MFM Pro Headphones featuring the color mirasol display and a UMTS camera monitoring system
· Demonstrations of Qualcomm's Plaza, which helps users take their online lives mobile via widgets from both the handset and Web, the Plaza Publisher experience including the Mobile Portal and Publisher Web Portal and additional monetization opportunities for operators with Plaza
· Xiam's discovery and recommendations platform, which allows mobile consumers to intuitively discover exciting content that is relevant to their individual interests and tastes; Xiam also will showcase its recently announced algorithms that make location-aware and assisted mobile Internet recommendations
· Qualcomm's Wireless Reach™ initiative, which creates programs and solutions that demonstrate how wireless technology can improve people's lives, will be featuring the system for “3G for All Generations,” a pilot project in Spain that uses 3G to connect elderly people to their caregivers and families
Qualcomm executives also will discuss wireless industry trends during the following speakerships:
· Flavio Mansi, senior vice president and president of Qualcomm Latin America, will participate in the Mobile Broadband for All Workshop showcasing the economics of deploying HSPA for growth on Monday, Feb, 16 from 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m. in Hall 5, Level 3, Office 6
· Andrew Gilbert, executive vice president and president of Qualcomm Internet Services, Qualcomm MediaFLO Technologies and Qualcomm Europe, will speak during the “New Embedded Mobile Economy” panel on Monday, Feb. 16 from 1:15-2 p.m. in Hall 5, Auditorium 3
· Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, CEO of Qualcomm, will participate in a panel discussion during the “Telecom Industry's Response to the Economic Crisis” panel at the Leadership Summit and Government Mobile Forum taking place on Monday, Feb. 16 from 2:30-4 p.m. at the National Palace above Halls 6 and 7
· Alex Katouzian, vice president of product management, will speak at the Mobile Broadband Evolution seminar on Monday, Feb. 16 from 2:30-5 p.m. in Hall 5, Level 3, Office 6
· Kevin Hunter, director of product management for Plaza, will participate on a panel at “The Mobile Application Developer Garage” on Monday, Feb. 16 from 4-4:45 p.m. in Hall 5, Level 0, Auditorium 3
· Bill Bold, senior vice president of government affairs, will participate in a regulatory panel on Tuesday, Feb. 17 from 2:15-3:45 p.m. in the Verdi Room of the Fira Convention Center
· Fram Akiki, senior director of product management, will speak at the GSMA Mobile Broadband Seminar - MBB Notebooks Guidelines on Tuesday, Feb. 17 from 10:30 a.m.- 1 p.m. in Hall 5, Level 3, Office 6
· Noam Raffaelli, managing director of Plaza, will participate in a panel discussion on “The Business of Mobile 2.0” on Tuesday, Feb. 17 from 3-3:45 p.m. in Hall 5, Level 0, Auditorium 3
· Dr. Paul E. Jacobs will give a keynote speech during the Mobile Broadband panel on Wednesday, Feb. 18 from 9-10:30 a.m. in Hall 5, Level 3, Auditorium 1
· Roberto Di Pietro, vice president of marketing for Qualcomm Italy, will participate in a panel discussion on “Key Technical & Business Aspects of NW Evolution” as part of the “Technology Evolution Developed with NGMN” session on Thursday, Feb. 19 from 3:40-4 p.m. in Hall 5, Level 0, Auditorium 2
· Colm Healy, vice president and general manager of Qualcomm subsidiary Xiam Technologies, will participate in the panel discussion “Mobile Advertising - Moving to the Strategic Level” on Thursday, Feb. 19 from 3:15-4 p.m. in Hall 5, Level 0, Auditorium 3
Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on CDMA and other advanced technologies. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in the S&P 100 Index, the S&P 500 Index and is a 2008 FORTUNE 500® company. For more information, please visit www.qualcomm.com.
Qualcomm is a registered trademark of Qualcomm Incorporated. Gobi, MediaFLO, MSM, Snapdragon and Wireless Reach are trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated. mirasol is a trademark of Qualcomm MEMS Technologies Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Nothing in this press release is an offer to sell any of the parts referenced herein. This press release may reference and/or show images of parts and/or devices utilizing parts whose manufacture, use, sale, offer for sale, or importation into the United States are subject to certain injunctions against Qualcomm. This press release is intended solely to provide information for those products and uses of products that are outside the scope of the injunctions. Any device utilizing 1x-EVDO parts that are intended for activation on a U.S. wireless network (other than Verizon Wireless) must utilize Qualcomm's hybrid mode alternative solution.
February 16, 2009
February 16, 2009Qualcomm Demonstrates Wireless Communications Beyond the Mobile Phone at GSMA Mobile World Congress 2009Qualcomm Demonstrates Wireless Communications Beyond the Mobile Phone at GSMA Mobile World Congress 2009