Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leading developer and innovator of advanced wireless technologies and data solutions, today announced that during CTIA Wireless 2008 at the Las Vegas Convention Center (LVCC) in the Central Exhibit Hall, Booth #1948, the Company will showcase a range of wireless innovations that are transforming and redefining the way people interact with their world. Qualcomm's demonstrations at CTIA will include the MediaFLO™ mobile broadcast platform on mobile phones and alternative devices; Firethorn's mobile wallet services; BREW® solution, BrandXtend™ and mobile retailing solutions for operators; airlink technology demonstrations of HSPA+, EV-DO Rev. B and OFDMA; and prototypes of next-generation pocketable computing devices.
“Qualcomm is committed to serving the wireless industry with breakthrough technologies that are enabling the convergence of mobile communications and consumer electronics, and bringing the world's most advanced and personal mobile devices and services to life,” said Jeff Jacobs, chief marketing officer for Qualcomm. “The Company's inclusive approach to partnership is spurring the growth and development of the entire wireless value chain and bringing its wireless expertise to new markets, including the mobile Internet, mobile commerce, wireless healthcare and mobile TV.”
Qualcomm will host a media and analyst briefing in Room N239, North Hall of the LVCC on April 1 at 11:30 a.m. PDT (event will be available live via Qualcomm's website, www.qualcomm.com). Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, chief executive officer of Qualcomm and other Qualcomm executives will provide an update on the state of the industry, share their vision for the future of wireless, and highlight key announcements the Company is making at the show.
During CTIA Wireless 2008, Qualcomm and its partners will be conducting a number of live demonstrations, including:
- MediaFLO Technologies 6 and 8 MHz mobile broadcast platform featuring a mix of U.S. and international TV programming; radio; IP datacasting applications for sports, news and weather; Clipcasting™ media; and interactive services shown on mobile phones and alternative devices
- MediaFLO USA's award-winning mobile TV service, FLO TV™, featuring top-rated entertainment, news, sports and children's programming - including men's college basketball tournament games - on stylish handsets from LG Electronics, Motorola and Samsung
- Prototypes of a pocketable computing device with the type of form factor envisioned for the Snapdragon™ platform, as well as a next-generation connected portable entertainment device based on the QST1100™ chipset
- The advanced Adreno™ graphics platform for mobile devices
- Fluence™ noise reduction and echo cancellation technology
- Optimized mobile OS enablement with mobile applications running on Qualcomm's dual-core chipsets with Android and Windows Mobile 6.1
- Laptop computers with the embedded Gobi™ global mobile Internet solution
- The inGeo™ dedicated monitoring and recovery solution, combining gpsOne® position-location technology and cellular signals
- The Firethorn mobile wallet application and future wallet expansion, including advanced payment capabilities
- BREW Solution, BrandXtend direct-to-consumer content discovery and downloads, and Xiam Technologies' My Personal Offers System targeting and personalization technology; developers will also showcase social networking, retailing, gaming, mobile enterprise, innovation and location/public safety applications
- The low-power Hisense C108 handset with a 1.2-inch mirasol™ display from Qualcomm MEMS Technologies; also on display will be Audiovox's commercially available Acoustic Research Bluetooth stereo headset and Korea Telecom's WCDMA camera monitoring
- Multi-carrier HSPA+ technology, which aggregates multiple HSPA carriers to provide significantly higher data rates and faster response times throughout the cell
- EV-DO Rev. B technology, which provides significantly higher data rates and faster response times by aggregating multiple Rev. A carriers and adopting higher order modulation
- OFDMA technologies, a virtual experience through a HD Video Conference link to a drive-test van in San Diego, connected through Qualcomm's live trial OFDMA system
- Interference Cancellation and its significant improvements to the capacity of a EV-DO Rev. A system; Interference Cancellation benefits all 3G technologies (CDMA2000® 1X, EV-DO Rev, A/B and HSPA/HSPA+)
- Rich VoIP services enabled by EV-DO Rev. A, illustrating users seamlessly switching between one-way video and two-way video telephony during an ongoing Telco-quality VoIP call.
Qualcomm executives also will discuss wireless industry trends during the following events:
- Gina Lombardi, senior vice president of Qualcomm and president of MediaFLO USA, will present at the Mobile Video / TV / IPTV session on Tuesday, April 1 from 1:00-2:30 p.m. in the LVCC, Room North 119
- Mitch Oliver, vice president of solutions and marketing for Qualcomm Internet Services, will speak at the Mobile Blueprint Session scheduled for Tuesday, April 1 from 2:30-3:45 p.m. in the LVCC, Room North 115
- Luis Pineda, senior vice president of marketing and product management for Qualcomm CDMA Technologies, will present at a session entitled “Any Device: The Panacea of Open Networks” on Tuesday, April 1 from 3:30-5:00 p.m. in the LVCC, Room North 113
- Steve Wan, director of technical marketing for Qualcomm, will speak at the session entitled “The 'Pro-sumer' - Leveraging the Overlap between Professional and Consumer Subscribers” on Tuesday, April 1 from 3:30-5:00 p.m. in the LVCC, Room North 101
- Tripp Rackley, CEO of Firethorn, a Qualcomm company, will speak at a session entitled “mCommerce, Leveraging New Technologies to Facilitate Mobile Shopping” on Wednesday, April 2 from 1:00-3:00 p.m. in the LVCC, Room North 101
- Brian Dunphy, senior director and head of brand & affinity relations for Qualcomm Internet Services, will speak at the session entitled “Selling Mobile Content: Bundles or a la Carte?” taking place on Wednesday, April 2 from 3:30-5:00 p.m. in the LVCC, Room North 119
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on CDMA and other advanced technologies. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in the S&P 500 Index and is a 2007 FORTUNE 500® company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.