Feb 11, 2008BARCELONA, Spain
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leading developer and innovator of advanced wireless technologies and data solutions, today announced that during Mobile World Congress 2008 (Booth B53, Hall 8) in Barcelona, Spain, Feb. 11-14, it will showcase some of the most advanced personal mobile devices and services that are changing the way people live and work. The demonstrations will include broadcast technologies such as Universal Broadcast Modem (UBM), Multimedia Broadcast Multicast Services (MBMS), Gobi™ global mobile Internet and GPS solutions, HSPA roadmap, mobile consumer wallet solutions, direct-to-consumer offerings for brands and affinities, and live demonstrations of the MediaFLO™ mobile broadcast platform. This year also marks the tenth anniversary of Qualcomm's operational presence in Europe, which began with the 1998 opening of its office in Sophia Antipolis, France and has grown to include 15 offices spanning more than a dozen countries across the region.
“Qualcomm is committed to serving the diverse needs of its European partners, and this is reflected in both our expanded presence and in our groundbreaking products based on the UMTS/HSPA and LTE roadmaps,” said Jeff Jacobs, chief marketing officer for Qualcomm. “Around the world, Qualcomm is proving that there is more to wireless, and we are helping to redefine the way people interact with their world by creating solutions that are more personal, affordable and accessible to people everywhere. We are proud to be showcasing some of Qualcomm's newest innovations at Mobile World Congress 2008.”
During Mobile World Congress 2008, Qualcomm and its partners will be conducting a number of live demonstrations, including:
- MediaFLO Technologies' 8 MHz mobile broadcast platform, featuring 30 channels comprised of a mix of international TV programming; radio; IP datacasting applications for sports, news and weather; Clipcasting™ media and interactive services
- Two handset prototypes that highlight the multi-mode capabilities of Qualcomm's Universal Broadcast Modem™ (UBM™) solution by streaming content over FLO™ and DVB-H networks
- A test handset with dual-mic technology that demonstrates Qualcomm's Fluence™ noise cancellation solution
- The Gobi global mobile Internet demonstration and a display showcasing designs from leading notebook manufacturers, including HP, Lenovo and Panasonic Computer Solutions Company
- Qualcomm's open software strategy with test equipment running the Android platform, as well as handsets running a future version of Windows Mobile
- Qualcomm's integrated gpsOne® solution on commercially available handsets with navigation, mapping and gpsOneXTRA Assistance™ technology applications
- HSPA Evolved (HSPA+) demonstration showcasing the multi-carrier HSPA feature, which doubles data rates throughout the cell
- Optimized OFDMA technology demonstration of concurrent high-speed data, VoIP and multimedia services
- Mobile consumer wallet solutions demonstration
- BrandXtend™ off-portal content discovery and distribution demonstration
- Best-in-class gaming demonstrations
- mirasol™ Display technology demonstrated on the newly announced design from Hisense - the C108 Handset - as well as on Audiovox's commercially available Acoustic Research Bluetooth Stereo Headset and Korea Telecom's SHOW Monitoring Device. Additional proof of concept color and bichrome statics also will be available
- High-quality VoIP over HSPA, which can triple voice capacity over Release 99 while maintaining equal or better quality, being demonstrated in Huawei's booth (Booth A115, Hall 8)
- The HSPA Experience Zone, located in Booth C37, Hall 2, will demonstrate strong ecosystem support through HSPA applications and devices
Qualcomm executives also will discuss wireless industry trends during the following speakerships:
- Steve Mollenkopf, senior vice president of Qualcomm CDMA Technologies, will speak at the HSPA Evolution Seminar on Monday, Feb. 11, from 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. in Hall 5, Level 3, Office 6
- Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, CEO of Qualcomm, will speak at the keynote session on Ubiquitous Networks on Tuesday, Feb. 12, from 2:15-3:45 p.m. in Hall 5, Level 3, Room 7
- Greg Raleigh, vice president of Qualcomm CDMA Technologies, will speak at the Wireless Broadband Solutions session on Wednesday, Feb. 13, from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. in Hall 2, Office A
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on CDMA and other advanced technologies. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in the S&P 500 Index and is a 2007 FORTUNE 500® company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.