Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leading developer and innovator of advanced wireless technologies and mobile data solutions, today announced the successful conclusion of the BREW® 2006 Developers Conference - India, held on November 29 in Mumbai. With more than 250 attendees from industry leading operators, handset manufacturers, publishers, developers and content providers, the conference delivered on its theme of “BREW Your Way.” BREW 2006 Developers Conference - India brought together key players to highlight the state of the wireless industry in India, while also exploring the endless opportunities that the BREW solution presents in the wireless marketplace to increase both revenue and market share.
- Andrew Seybold, president of Andrew Seybold Group LLC, in his presentation on the “State of the Wireless (Data) Industry,” stated that superior content will drive 3G adoption. He highlighted that 3G networks deliver voice, messaging and applications faster and less expensively than 2G networks. He also emphasized the potential of games, photos, video, audio and other applications to grow wireless operators' revenue.
- In his presentation focused on the “BREW Success Story at Tata,” Pankaj Sethi, president of the value-added services business unit at Tata Teleservices, discussed the tremendous potential of the low-end handset segment and BREW's versatility in enabling content across a wide range of devices. He addressed how the low- and mid-tier handset segments are going to drive volume sales in the Indian wireless market.
- Mahesh Prasad, president of the applications solutions and content group (ASCG) at Reliance Communications Ltd., discussed the growth of the mobile content and data market in India compared to the U.S. and the rest of the world. He commended the developer community in India for their role in creating innovative mobile applications and evolving beyond ringtones and music applications. Talking about new areas of focus for the industry in the wireless space, he elaborated on the challenges of enabling enterprise and transactional applications on mobile devices and the opportunities in e-governance.
- In his session on “BREW Gaming,” Mike Yuen, senior director of the gaming group at Qualcomm Internet Services, emphasized BREW's leadership as a gaming platform due to its inherent speed advantages, standardized set of APIs and ability to attract the world's best game publishers and developers. Adding that half of the world's population is expected to use mobile phones by 2009 with more than a billion users expected in India and China, he spoke of the need for more gaming-friendly form factors. Yuen noted that this will be especially relevant in markets where the mobile phone will be used as a wireless phone for business and personal use by day, and a home entertainment and personal computing platform by night. He also stressed the ongoing importance of cross-platform design, emphasizing that the convergence of wireless and console/PC game design would result in fully integrated features and gameplay experience across different platforms.
- Astute Systems Technology announced the launch of the Astute Stock Mania application, a compelling mix of education and entertainment that allows both avid and aspiring investors to experience stock market trading without having to invest real money.
- Indiagames announced the launch of six new mobile games: X'mas Loot, Star Wars®, Happy Feet, Worms, Cricket World and Skating Challenge.
- Webdunia unveiled its innovative learning application, Pre School Education, an application aimed at facilitating primary education using a mobile device.
As part of the conference, Qualcomm conducted the BREW 2006 Developer Awards - India. The awards recognize publishers and developers of mobile content who are creating innovative BREW applications and services that propel wireless data to the next level. Qualcomm congratulates the BREW 2006 Developer Awards winners:
- Best Business Application: Remo Mail by Remoba
- Best Information Application: Dainik Samachar by Webdunia
- Best Gaming/Entertainment Application: Bruce Lee by Indiagames
- Special Mention: Hindi Calendar by Phoneytunes
“The rapid growth of the wireless data industry in India has presented members of the wireless community with a wide range business opportunities,” said Kanwalinder Singh, president, Qualcomm India and SAARC. “Empowered by the BREW solution, content developers and publishers globally have earned revenues exceeding USD$700 million cumulative since the platform's introduction, which reflects the remarkable potential that BREW holds. At Qualcomm, we are continually working to create new opportunities to energize the wireless ecosystem, and we remain committed to our vision of enabling the development and delivery of compelling technology and services.”
“The BREW 2006 Developers Conference - India has reinforced yet again the success that content providers can achieve in a market where it is imperative to offer wireless data services that are as scalable and diverse as the market itself,” said Vishal Gupta, senior director, sales and business development, Qualcomm India and SAARC. “The reasons behind the success achieved by the BREW community are exemplified by this year's Developer Awards nominees and winners, whose applications are both creative and useful. We congratulate all the winners of the BREW 2006 Developer Awards - India.”
The BREW solution drives the discovery and delivery of wireless data services. BREW operators and their subscribers can benefit from several offerings, which include: uiOne™ for rich, integrated and dynamic user experiences with fast access to high-revenue services on wireless devices; deliveryOne™ for differentiated and tightly integrated, operator-managed support and delivery of advanced wireless data content and services; and marketOne™ for a quick-to-market, hosted, scalable content delivery service that includes media titles, flexible management and monetization, content provider settlement and business intelligence services. Qualcomm offers this comprehensive set of BREW offerings to meet the distinct needs of companies delivering mobile products and services around the world.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on CDMA and other advanced technologies. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in the S&P 500 Index and is a 2006 FORTUNE 500® company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.