Nov 7, 2006SAN DIEGO
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leading developer and innovator of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) and other advanced wireless technologies, today announced the selection of finalists for the Company's Wireless Reach™ BREW® Application Funding Program. As part of Qualcomm's Wireless Reach initiative, the USD1 million fund is designed to increase the availability of useful wireless applications in countries around the world.
Qualcomm's Wireless Reach BREW Application Funding Program challenged companies to create the most innovative BREW public service application in one of five areas: healthcare; education; public safety; governance; and the environment. Qualcomm will award five grants in varying amounts for up to a total of USD500,000 for the most innovative proposals for BREW applications. The remaining amount will be used to put one or more of the winning proposals into action through new or existing Wireless Reach projects.
Finalists were selected based on a careful review of all applications and include 21 developers from 19 organizations in six countries (in alphabetical order):
- Activepackets - Vipul Sawhney, president (Copiague, N.Y., U.S.A)
- Agrocom Software Technologies Pvt. Ltd, IIT Bombay - Dr. Krithi Ramamritham, dean of research and development, IIT-B and director, Agrocom and Anil Bahuman, managing director, Agrocom, IIT-B (Mumbai, India)
- Astute Systems Technology Pvt. Ltd. - Vijay Kumar Jain, founder and CEO (Indore, India)
- Bandung Institute of Technology - Ria L. Moedomo, PhD student (Bandung, Indonesia)
- Beijing InfoQuick SinoVoice Speech Techology Corp. - Rita Lee, business development manager (Beijing)
- Beijing Justel Technologies Co., Ltd. - Guoran Sun, technology director (Beijing)
- BeWell Mobile Technology, Inc. - Sarah DeYoung, director (Walnut Creek, Calif., U.S.A)
- BookBox India Pvt. Ltd. - Brij Kothari, founder and CEO (Pondicherry, India)
- Digital Ignite - Tamer Ali, president and founder (Vienna, Va., U.S.A.)
- Exclaim - Samuel Kolodney, senior manager, content and entertainment applications (West Trenton, N.J., U.S.A.)
- MOBSYS Informatica Ltda - Joao M. Raimundo, CEO (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- MyFoodPhone - Michele Morin, director, product management (Ste-Foy, Quebec, Canada)
- Spiral Jungle, LLC - Toby Cohantz, CEO (Carlsbad, Calif., U.S.A.)
- SquareLoop, Inc. - Joe Walsh, COO (Reston, Va., U.S.A.)
- Tata Consultancy Services - Dr. Arun Pande, head of advanced technology and applications (Thane, India)
- Tata Consultancy Services - Gian Sunder Singh, head, BREW Center of Excellence (Mumbai, India)
- UC Berkeley - A. Richard Newton, dean and professor, college of engineering (Berkeley, Calif., U.S.A.)
- UC Berkeley - Dr. John Canny, professor, college of engineering (Berkeley, Calif., U.S.A.)
- UCLA Center for International Emergency Medicine/Project HOPE/Konami Digital Entertainment - Eric A. Savitsky, MD, executive director, UCLA CIEM, associate clinical professor of medicine (Los Angeles)
- Zaxis Technologies - David Buckley, president and CEO (San Diego)
- ZMQ Software Systems - Subhi Quraishi, CEO (New Delhi)
“Qualcomm is proud to recognize these finalists on their dedication to creating BREW applications that will have a positive impact on people's lives,” said Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, chief executive officer of Qualcomm. “We are committed to helping increase the availability of useful BREW applications worldwide and we're pleased to note that the applications we received are creative, inspiring and show a true consideration for the challenges that underserved communities face today. Our goal is to have Wireless Reach BREW applications from one or more of the grant recipients in action by the summer of 2007.”
The 21 finalists have been contacted individually to submit a more in depth proposal by Dec. 31, 2006. From these proposals, Qualcomm will announce the recipients of the five individual grants by mid-February 2007.
Qualcomm's Wireless Reach initiative seeks to connect communities that have limited or no telecommunications access through the use of 3G technologies. The objective of this initiative is to strengthen economic and social development with a focus on education, governance, healthcare and public safety. Wireless Reach creates sustainable 3G projects through partnerships with non-governmental organizations, universities, government institutions, development agencies and other private sector companies.
The BREW solution drives the discovery and delivery of data services. BREW operators and their subscribers benefit from several offerings, which include: uiOne™ for rich, integrated and dynamic user experiences with fast access to high revenue services on wireless devices; deliveryOne™ for differentiated and tightly integrated, operator-managed support and delivery of advanced wireless data content and services; and marketOne™ for a quick-to-market, hosted, scalable content delivery service that includes media titles, flexible management and monetization, content provider settlement and business intelligence services. Qualcomm offers this comprehensive set of BREW offerings to meet the needs of companies delivering mobile products and services around the world.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on CDMA and other advanced technologies. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in the S&P 500 Index and is a 2006 FORTUNE 500® company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the Company's ability to successfully design and have manufactured significant quantities of CDMA components on a timely and profitable basis, the extent and speed to which CDMA is deployed, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 24, 2006, and most recent Form 10-Q.