Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leading developer and innovator of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) and other advanced wireless technologies, today announced the promotions of Kanwalinder Singh and Dr. Sung W. (S.W.) Kim to the positions of senior vice president of Qualcomm, William Bold to the position of senior vice president of government affairs, Jeff Belk to the post of Qualcomm senior vice president for strategy and market development, and Bill Davidson to Qualcomm vice president of global marketing and investor relations. Singh and Kim continue as presidents of Qualcomm India Ltd. and Qualcomm Korea Ltd., respectively.
As president of Qualcomm India, Singh continues to lead Qualcomm's significant ongoing business initiatives in India and the SAARC countries, including the Company's support for these markets' transition from 2G wireless to 3G CDMA-based services. Similarly, Dr. Kim continues, as president of Qualcomm Korea, to oversee business development and strategic initiatives for the Korean market to further accelerate advanced 3G CDMA wireless services and applications for Korea and the global market. As senior vice president of government affairs, Bold will continue to manage the Company's public policy agenda and its relationships with government entities and related organizations at the international, federal, state and local levels in order to support the acceleration of 3G wireless telecommunications services around the globe.
Belk, who previously managed Qualcomm's global marketing efforts, will, in his new role, be responsible for the formulation of a set of company- and industry-wide programs and initiatives designed to enhance Qualcomm's partnerships in the wireless industry and beyond, and to help drive the adoption of the Company's products and technical innovations. Davidson will continue in his investor relations responsibilities and will now also be responsible for leadership of Qualcomm's marketing and public relations efforts.
“I want to congratulate Kanwalinder, S.W., Bill Bold, Jeff and Bill Davidson on these well-deserved promotions and appointments,” said Steve Altman, Qualcomm president. “These executives are vital members of the management team, working to drive the growth of next-generation wireless globally; these changes demonstrate and further solidify the strength of our Company's leadership team.”
- Singh has more than 20 years of telecommunications industry experience and joined Qualcomm in September 2004. Prior to joining Qualcomm, Singh was the chief technical officer of Lucent Technologies India Ltd., where he helped Lucent create a strong presence in the Indian telecom market. He also held high-level technical and managerial positions in Bell Laboratories and product units at AT&T and Lucent Technologies in New Jersey, United States. Singh holds a master of science degree in electrical engineering from Bucknell University, bachelor of science degree in electronics and electrical communication from Punjab Engineering College, and attended an executive development program at Wharton School of Business, Pennsylvania.
- Dr. Kim joined Qualcomm in 1998 with more than 10 years of successful management experience with Korean companies and has brought to the position a broad range of operations, business development, marketing, and research and development experience. Prior to joining Qualcomm, Dr. Kim served as managing director of LG Electronics Inc. in Seoul. Additionally, Dr. Kim served as managing director of Zenith Electronics Corp.'s Network Systems Division, a wholly owned subsidiary of LG Electronics, based in Chicago. Dr. Kim holds a bachelor's of science in mathematics from Seoul National University and a master's of science in computer science, a master's in business administration and a Ph.D. in management information system from the University of Minnesota.
- Prior to joining Qualcomm, Bold worked as director of public policy for the California Health Care Institute, a trade association representing California's biomedical industry and certain multinational pharmaceutical and medical device companies. He developed the Institute's public advocacy program and was responsible for industry relations with federal and state public officials. Prior to that, Bold served as legislative director to Congresswoman Lynn Schenk (D-CA), and managed the Congresswoman's entire legislative agenda. Bold graduated from the University of California, Berkeley in 1990 with a bachelor of arts degree in political economies of industrial societies.
- Belk, a 23-year tech industry veteran, joined Qualcomm in early 1994, and worked in business development roles prior to being named to lead marketing for Qualcomm's handset division. In 1998 his role expanded to include overall responsibility for corporate marketing and communications as vice president of marketing for Qualcomm. In 1999-2000, Belk served as senior vice president and general manager of Qualcomm Eudora Products, Qualcomm's award-winning email product line, prior to returning as senior vice president of marketing in Fall 2000. Prior to joining Qualcomm, Belk spent nearly 11 years in the PC industry in sales, distribution, product/marketing management and international positions. Belk holds a bachelors of arts degree in economics from University of California San Diego, and masters of business administration from University of California Irvine.
- Davidson joined Qualcomm in 2002 as vice president of carrier relations for Qualcomm Internet Services. Prior to Qualcomm, he served as senior vice president of corporate affairs and carrier relations at Aether Systems. Davidson has more than 20 years of experience in technical sales, marketing and general management roles in the telecommunications industry. He spent 13 years at Bell Atlantic that included substantial experience within the wireline business at New Jersey Bell, as well as serving subsequently as vice president of wireless data sales and marketing for Bell Atlantic Mobile. Davidson's experience also included serving as vice president of commercial sales operations for GE Capital's telecommunications financial services division.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on CDMA and other advanced technologies. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in the S&P 500 Index and is a 2006 FORTUNE 500® company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.