Apr 24, 2006LAS VEGAS
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leading developer and innovator of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) and other advanced wireless technologies, today announced that the Company is providing citywide coverage of FLO technology during NAB2006, April 24-27 in Las Vegas. FLO technology, a multicast innovation and key component of the MediaFLO™ system, is an air-interface technology designed to increase capacity and coverage, and reduce cost for multimedia content delivery to mobile handsets. The NAB2006 demonstration will feature multicast of 16 channels of QVGA-quality video content, audio content and data transmissions for IP datacasting applications across the city of Las Vegas, using two high-powered FLO transmitters. NAB2006 attendees will be able to view the MediaFLO demonstrations at the Qualcomm/MediaFLO Booth SL2407H, in the South Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center.
“A key design advantage of FLO technology, versus competing multicast technologies, is that capacity does not have to be sacrificed for quality or coverage. We view all three of these factors - capacity, quality and coverage - as 'must-haves' for a successful wireless multimedia offering and FLO technology was specifically engineered to optimize performance in each of these areas,” said Rob Chandhok, vice president of engineering and international market development for Qualcomm MediaFLO Technologies. “Our demonstration at NAB2006 is intended to show how FLO technology can enable up to 16 channels of video content at QVGA quality, all while being delivered in a cost-effective manner, using fewer transmitters than competing technologies to cover an entire market.”
In addition to demonstrations of FLO technology, Qualcomm executives will speak on key industry trends at NAB2006:
- Chandhok will take part in the executive panel entitled “Becoming the Hybrid Network: What Must Broadcasters Do?”on Monday, April 24, 11 a.m.-12 p.m., Las Vegas Convention Center Room S222. From 1-1:45 p.m., he will give a MediaFLO technology overview in Room S108/109.
- Chandhok also will present “Broadcasting in the Mobile World: Choosing the Right Technology for the Job” as part of the “Viewers on the Move” session on Tuesday, April 25, 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m., Las Vegas Convention Center Room S221.
- Omar Javaid, senior director of business development for Qualcomm MediaFLO Technologies, will participate in the panel entitled “The Race to Broadcast TV to Mobile Phones” on Tuesday, April 25, 12:00-1:00 p.m., Las Vegas Convention Center Room S219/220.
Engineered specifically for the mobile environment, FLO technology offers several advantages over other mobile multicast technologies, including higher-quality video and audio, faster channel switching time, superior mobile reception, optimized power consumption and greater capacity than other multicast technologies. Specific performance features of FLO technology in a 6 MHz channel include:
- Support for transmitting up to 20 streaming channels of QVGA-quality (320x240 pixels) video at up to 30 frames per second, 10 stereo audio channels (HE AAC+ parametric stereo) and up to 800 minutes of distributed Clipcast™ content per day (short-format video clips)
- An average channel switching time of less than two seconds
In addition, FLO technology-based multimedia multicasting will complement wireless operators' CDMA2000®/EV-DO and WCDMA/HSDPA cellular network data and voice services, delivering content to the same cellular handsets used on these 3G networks.
The MediaFLO system is an end-to-end solution that enables multicasting of high-quality video, audio streams, Clipcast media and IP datacasting to mobile handsets. It is comprised of the MediaFLO Media Distribution System (MDS) and FLO technology. The MediaFLO system is a manageable, scalable, subscription-based distribution system and an efficient over-the-air network solution that provides wireless operators a way to cost-effectively deliver the high-quality audio and video content their subscribers desire. More information about the MediaFLO system is available at www.mediaflo.com.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on CDMA and other advanced technologies. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in the S&P 500 Index and is a 2006 FORTUNE 500® company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.