Apr 4, 2006LAS VEGAS
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leading developer and innovator of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) and other advanced wireless technologies, today announced that the Company will showcase a variety of leading next-generation wireless products and solutions at CTIA Wireless 2006 in Las Vegas, April 5-7 in Booth #2047, Central Hall at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
3G wireless technologies are used around the globe and, with more than 266 million reported* 3G subscribers worldwide, the convergence of comprehensive wireless voice and data connectivity via 3G devices is defining the future of wireless communications. As Qualcomm drives the long-term evolution of mobile wireless technology, it invests significantly in advanced wireless R&D every year and makes these advances broadly available to companies in the wireless value chain. This strategy enables the Company's customers and partners to rapidly bring state-of-the-art wireless products to market and enhances competition, which makes possible the kinds of innovative applications of wireless technology being demonstrated at CTIA.
“We are witnessing a transformation in the delivery of multimedia services, enabling each of our partners throughout the wireless value chain to play a critical role in accelerating mainstream adoption of high-speed wireless data applications such as video, music and gaming,” said Jeffrey K. Belk, senior vice president of marketing for Qualcomm. “At CTIA this year, Qualcomm will demonstrate some of the innovative solutions that enable our customers and partners to create a comprehensive mobile communications experience, while greatly expanding the boundaries of the wireless lifestyle.”
On the show's opening day, Wednesday, April 5, Qualcomm will host a press briefing at 2:30 p.m. PDT in the North Hall, Room N242, where Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, Qualcomm's chief executive officer, will discuss the 3G roadmap, Qualcomm's news at CTIA and the MediaFLO™ system, the Company's mobile TV solution.
Demonstrations of Qualcomm's advanced technology, products and solutions featured at the Company's booth include:
- Live demonstrations of the MediaFLO system, including live video and audio on devices from leading handset manufacturers, and an IP datacasting demonstration featuring content from Major League Baseball Advanced Media's Gameday and a Stock Portfolio Tracker application.
- Wide-area coverage capabilities of FLO™ technology, featuring citywide coverage in Las Vegas during CTIA.
- Advancements to the latest semiconductor and software technologies for wireless markets, including: the Qualcomm Single Chip™ (QSC™) solutions, integrating multiple components to bring cost efficiency and slim form factors to entry-level and mainstream mobile devices; the rich multimedia capabilities of the Company's Enhanced Multimedia and Convergence Platform solutions; and gpsOne® technology for accurate and ubiquitous positioning capabilities to enable location services that add new value to the mobile experience.
- Increased data rates on HSDPA networks of 7.2 Mbps, enabled by Qualcomm chipsets and further enhanced with receive diversity technology for dramatically improved network capacity.
- The latest notebooks equipped with embedded CDMA2000® 1xEV-DO modules running on Verizon Wireless' BroadbandAccess network, making ultra-convenient high-speed, wide-area wireless broadband service for laptop users a reality. Notebooks include models from Dell, HP and Lenovo.
- Full duplex telco-quality VoIP services on a CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev. A system. EV-DO Rev. A enables the efficient deployment of converged Internet protocol service offerings and VoIP services for richer and more integrated voice, data and video capabilities.
- Low-latency gaming will be demonstrated over an EV-DO Rev. A system and live multiplayer gaming sessions will be performed illustrating advanced techniques to enhance the performance of delay-sensitive applications. EV-DO Rev. A significantly reduces latency and improves performance of delay-sensitive applications.
- Demonstrations of Qualcomm's advanced content management and delivery offerings, deliveryOne™ and marketOne™, which facilitate unified content delivery and enable fully scalable content services for operators seeking to provide advanced mobile data in the most efficient way possible.
- Upgraded 3G software applications, including uiOne™ 3D graphics user-interface capabilities for handsets. The uiOne solution provides a rich, integrated user experience for end users seeking to customize mobile devices.
- QPoint™ location-based services developed for the BREW® solution from Autodesk, Bones in Motion, Networks in Motion and WaveMarket.
- Multiple publishers and developers showcasing the latest applications, content and services developed for the BREW solution, including: AccuWeather.com; AG Interactive; EA Mobile; eMbience; FusionOne; GAMEVIL, Inc.; Gesturetek Inc.; Glu Mobile; Immersion Corporation; JumpTap, Inc.; LOC-AID Technologies; MobiTV, Inc.; Namco Networks; Novarra; Obopay; Orative Corporation; Punchcut; Remoba Inc.; Rocket Mobile; Scanbuy; Sega of America, Inc.; SkyZone Entertainment; ViVa! Vision; and Xringer Inc.
- The new multi-tasking capabilities of Qualcomm's QVM™ solution, a software application from the Launchpad™ suite that now supports the concurrent execution of multiple Java™ applications.
Qualcomm executives also will speak on key wireless industry trends at CTIA Wireless 2006 and Billboard MECCA (in conjunction with CTIA Wireless):
- Michael Boyd, senior director of programming, MediaFLO USA, will take part in the “Ask an Expert: Mobile Entertainment Body Commerce & Applications” session on Tuesday, April 4, 11:30 a.m.-12 p.m., Las Vegas Hilton Center, Barron Room at Billboard MECCA.
- Mike Yuen, senior director of the Gaming Group, Qualcomm Internet Services, will participate in the “Get Your Game On” panel on Tuesday, April 4, 3-4 p.m., Las Vegas Hilton Center, Barron Room at Billboard MECCA.
- Mitch Oliver, vice president of product management, Qualcomm Internet Services, will participate in “The Battle for the Mobile Platform” session on Tuesday, April 4, 5:30-6:30 p.m., Las Vegas Hilton Center, Breakout Room E at Billboard MECCA.
- Rob Chandhok, vice president of engineering and international market development for Qualcomm MediaFLO Technologies, will participate in the “Mobile TV Technology Choices” panel on Wednesday, April 5, from 3:30-5 p.m. in Room N111, Las Vegas Convention Center.
- Chandhok also will participate in “The Future of Mobile Video & TV: European Usage and Best Practices” session on Thursday, April 6, from 2-3 p.m. in Room N256, Las Vegas Convention Center.
- Dean Brenner, vice president of government affairs, will participate in the “Facilitating Next Generation Wireless Services” panel on Thursday, April 6, from 4-5 p.m. in Room N110, Las Vegas Convention Center.
For additional information about the Company's activities at CTIA Wireless 2006, please visit www.qualcomm.com/press/ctia2006.html
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on CDMA and other advanced technologies. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in the S&P 500 Index and is a 2005 FORTUNE 500® company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.