Jun 8, 2005SAN DIEGO
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, today announced the close of its successful BREW 2005 Conference, held June 1 - 3 in San Diego. This year's conference delivered on its theme, "BREW for More," as more than 2,200 members of the BREW community gathered from around the world at the sold-out show to collaborate, network and form strategic relationships with leading operators, handset manufacturers, publishers, developers and technology providers in the mobile marketplace.
"The success of this year's conference highlights the impact the BREW solution is having on every player in the mobile industry. More and more operators, handset manufacturers, publishers and developers are leveraging new technologies and product offerings to differentiate themselves in this space," said Peggy Johnson, president of Qualcomm Internet Services. "From the impressive line-up of speakers and presentations to the overwhelming number of applicants for the BREW 2005 Developer Awards, it's clear that the BREW community is harnessing the power of the BREW solution to propel the wireless industry forward."
The BREW 2005 Conference featured nearly 100 speakers, who focused on the global BREW community's advancements and opportunities in the areas of mobile gaming, customizable user interfaces, location-based services, multimedia, mobile messaging, business applications and a host of other segments. In Johnson's welcome remarks to conference attendees, she emphasized Qualcomm's commitment to delivering more value, innovation, support, flexibility and revenue to the BREW community and the explosive growth of new areas such as mobile gaming and customization through Qualcomm's uiOne™ solution.
This year's keynote addresses included "BREW for More. BREW for You" by Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, CEO-elect for Qualcomm. In his keynote address, Dr. Jacobs discussed the ubiquity of feature-rich devices and tasked publishers and developers with the creation and delivery of BREW content that will drive the industry forward.
"Mobile phones are turning out to be the all-in-one devices people carry with them all the time in large part because of the creative applications and services being delivered by BREW publishers and developers," said Dr. Jacobs. "The future holds an amazing amount of promise for us all. Qualcomm promises you, the BREW community, the resources you need to be successful, and we're counting on you to deliver the next great BREW applications."
Additional speakers and topics included:
- Makoto Takahashi, vice president and general manager for KDDI Corporation, on "KDDI Content and Business Strategy"
- Manish Jha, senior vice president for ESPN Mobile, on "Why Sports Fans will Drive Adoption of Wireless Data"
- John Stratton, vice president and chief marketing officer for Verizon Wireless, on "Get It Now!® (WOW!)"
- Don McGuire, chief marketing officer for Amp'd Mobile, on "Developing Breakthrough Content for Amp'd Mobile"
- Ian Clarke, head of group devices and president of Asia Pacific for O2, on "Device DNA -- the core of a great customer experience"
- John Batter, vice president and general manager for EA Mobile, on "Why Mobile Matters"
"The BREW platform will be central to our expansion into new markets. It will also be central to our ability to leverage and take advantage of new technologies," said Stratton. "Most important, the creative energy, power and skill amongst BREW publishers and developers are absolutely critical to our success moving forward."
"We love BREW. Its open platform allows Amp'd Mobile the flexibility to provide endless customization and personalization options that our customers want and need," said McGuire. "Through the BREW solution, we have the opportunity to realize our goal of becoming the first mobile entertainment company targeted for the youth market."
"It is about a brand and individualization, and being able to keep that brand and individualization across the devices we sell," said Clarke. "From a consumer point of view it is about that consistency of experience in a changing world and that's where we see BREW uiOne coming into play for us within our own branded device portfolio."
Key Qualcomm and industry announcements included:
- BREW publishers and developers have earned more than $350 million to date from the sale of wireless applications and services developed for the BREW solution.
- A global distribution agreement with ELATA to launch the deliveryOne™ Content System for operators, providing a full-featured device and content agnostic delivery platform for wireless content.
- Electronic Arts, the world's leading independent publisher and developers of interactive entertainment software, announced an agreement to become a publisher of wireless games developed for Qualcomm's BREW solution.
- Macromedia, a leading software company empowering business users, developers and designers to create and deliver effective, compelling and memorable experiences, announced an agreement to develop commercial Flash-based services for the U.S. market using the BREW solution.
Qualcomm's BREW solution is designed to meet the distinct and varied needs of wireless operators, handset manufacturers, publishers, developers and end users around the world. BREW products and services include: an open, extensible client platform that supports robust systems and application software including personalized and branded user interfaces for mass market devices; a J2EE(TM)-based, modular delivery system that enables the distribution of content, applications and user interfaces to wireless devices across all air interfaces; a dedicated professional services team that supports the integration of customized implementations; and the wireless industry's first global marketplace to support the monetization of applications and services developed in all programming languages. The BREW solution can make the wireless visions of innovative companies a reality.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company's CDMA digital technology. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in the S&P 500 Index and is a 2005 FORTUNE 500(R) company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market(R) under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the extent and speed to which the BREW solution is adopted and deployed, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 26, 2004, and most recent Form 10-Q.