Mar 14, 2005NEW ORLEANS
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, today announced that the Company will showcase a variety of leading 3G CDMA wireless products and solutions at CTIA Wireless 2005 in New Orleans, March 14-16 in booth number 2631, Hall C at the Morial Convention Center. Qualcomm continues to lead the advancement of multimedia convergence by offering innovative 3G CDMA-based products and services.
On the show's opening day Qualcomm will host a press conference at 3 p.m. CST in Room 253 on the 2nd floor above Hall F. Participating Qualcomm executives will be Dr. Irwin M. Jacobs, chairman; Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, CEO-elect; and Dr. Sanjay K. Jha, president of Qualcomm CDMA Technologies.
“With high-speed networks, advanced services and applications, and full-feature devices in place, wireless multimedia services stand to gain significant momentum in the United States and around the globe,” said Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, CEO-elect. “At CTIA, we will demonstrate Qualcomm's products and technologies enabling our partners to provide rich, engaging entertainment and information whenever their customer desires.”
Demonstrations of Qualcomm's advanced technology solutions and products featured at the Company's booth include:
- A host of enhancements to CDMA2000 1xEV-DO technology, including the first live demonstration of 1xEV-DO Platinum Multicast, which allows operators to increase network capacity and reduce the cost of delivering video, audio and other multimedia content to large numbers of users simultaneously over EV-DO Rev. A-based cellular networks. Other demonstrations include 1xEV-DO VoIP, 1xEV-DO Rev. A with pilot interference cancellation.
- Network-scheduled delivery over EV-DO of high-quality short format video content viewed through MediaFLO's intuitive user interface on today's 3G handsets. The MediaFLO system is designed to scale over time with operator requirements, including deployments of dedicated multimedia multicasting networks such as the FLO (Forward Link Only) technology-based network being deployed by MediaFLO USA Inc. Demonstration will include content from leading content providers.
- The latest multimedia capabilities on mobile phones enabled by Qualcomm's highly integrated chipset solutions, including high-speed video downloads, video playback and advanced 3D gaming capabilities. Show attendees will be able to see, hear and listen to commercial handsets powered by the Company's Multimedia Platform chipsets and “Slingshot” test handset, based on the MSM6550 Enhanced Multimedia Platform chipset. The Company is also showcasing a broad range of WCDMA handsets and devices.
- Multiple publishers and developers demonstrating the latest applications and services developed for Qualcomm's BREW® solution, including AccuWeather.com, Digital Orchid, eMbience Inc., Enorbus Technologies, ESPN Wireless, FusionOne, Immersion Corporation, IN-FUSIO, Intellisync, ITOCHU/NANO Media, JAMDAT Mobile, Namco America Inc., Novarra, OPERA Software, Orative, Sorrent, Summus, Vindigo, XRinger, TeleCommunication Systems, WaveMarket, WIZ Technologies, Zapptrio Inc. and 9 Squared Inc.
- QChat® push-to-talk solution running seamlessly between CDMA2000 and iDEN air interfaces.
- The recently announced BREW uiOne, offering an open and flexible combination of products and services to enable customized user interfaces (UIs) for mobile phones.
- Demonstrations of an interactive BREW Zone web site, BREW Zone retail cards and a BREW Zone Enterprise Portal web site. BREW Zone extends the marketplace for BREW consumer and enterprise applications beyond a user's handset, enabling users to purchase applications in a variety of ways, including from Web sites or using gift cards.
Qualcomm will also demonstrate a new, standards-based wireless digital rights management (DRM) solution for securely managing and distributing media content between mobile and consumer electronics devices. This technology is the result of joint development activity between Philips and Qualcomm that enables users to manage personal digital media rights from their mobile phones for use on various smart consumer electronic devices in their home environments. The demonstration of Qualcomm and Philips' joint technology and products will be shown by invitation only from March 14-16 in Room 228, second floor. If you are interested in viewing the DRM demo you can sign-up at the Qualcomm booth.
Qualcomm executives will also speak on key wireless industry trends at CTIA Wireless 2005:
- Dr. Sanjay K. Jha will participate in the “Mobile Device Trends and Challenges” panel on Tuesday, March 15, from 1-2:30 p.m. in Room 260-262.
- Bill Davidson, vice president of investor relations, will participate in the Analyst Roundtable on Tuesday, March 15, from 3:30-5 p.m. in Room 265-266.
For additional information about the Company's activities at CTIA Wireless 2005, please visit www.qualcomm.com/news.
Qualcomm Incorporated is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company's CDMA digital technology. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in the S&P 500 Index and is a 2004 FORTUNE 500® company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the Company's ability to successfully design and have manufactured significant quantities of CDMA components on a timely and profitable basis, the extent and speed to which CDMA is deployed, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 26, 2004, and most recent Form 10-Q.