Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, today announced an expanded HSDPA roadmap and expedited schedules to support the industry’s first deployments of higher-data rate networks and multimedia devices for WCDMA operators and device manufacturers. Qualcomm has the industry’s largest customer base of device manufacturers and provides the most extensive UMTS interoperability testing programs for its infrastructure and operator partners. The Company’s new solutions will enable a significant portion of the industry to accelerate roll-outs of WCDMA and HSDPA networks to meet market demand for 3G wireless multimedia.
“These solutions extend our leadership position in WCDMA to deliver the industry’s first commercial HSDPA devices,” said Dr. Sanjay K. Jha, president of Qualcomm CDMA Technologies. “We’re leveraging our partnerships with customers, operators and infrastructure providers to enable the broad adoption of more compelling wireless multimedia services over high-speed data networks.”
Qualcomm’s completion of live HSDPA calls with several partners at 3GSM further punctuates the Company’s ability to enable the rapid deployment of HSDPA worldwide, using Qualcomm’s TM6275™ test mobile powered by the MSM6275™ chipset solution. Calls demonstrating voice and data service were conducted in all commercial 3G frequency bands— 800, 850, 1900 and 2100 MHz.
Updates to Qualcomm’s WCDMA product roadmap include:
- An HSDPA solution available today: the MSM6275 chipset sampled to customers on-time in December 2004; first interoperability testing with customers completed using Qualcomm’s TM6275 test mobile device, actively supporting near-term commercial network roll outs; live demonstrations featured at 3GSM;
- Accelerated sampling date for higher data rates of HSDPA: the MSM6280™ 90nm chipset, featuring data rate support for up to 7.2 Mbps; expected to sample third quarter of calendar year 2005;
- Accelerated sampling date for EGPRS/WCDMA solutions: engineering samples of the MSM6255™ chipset expected to be available second quarter of calendar year 2005;
- 90 nm WCDMA solution: the MSM6250A™ leverages the market-proven MSM6250™ chipset, increasing the speed of the ARM9™ core to 180MHz for increased multimedia capability, while remaining pin and software compatible with the MSM6250 chipset; expected to be available second quarter of calendar year 2005;
- Next-generation chipset solutions: the MSM7200™ leverages the dual-processor architecture and multimedia features of Qualcomm’s Convergence Platform, with support for 7.2 Mbps or higher HSDPA, Enhanced Uplink (EUL) and Multimedia Broadcast Multicast Service (MBMS); expected to be available first quarter of calendar year 2006;
- Tri-band WCDMA (UMTS)/HSDPA (850/1900/2100 MHz) and quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (EGPRS) (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) radio frequency solution: These solutions enable true global WCDMA roaming on Qualcomm’s MSM6255 chipset (EGPRS and WCDMA support) and the MSM6275 chipset (WCDMA/HSDPA and EGPRS support) (please see February 14, 2005 announcement for more information).
Qualcomm’s chipset solutions support Qualcomm’s Launchpad™ suite of advanced multimedia, connectivity, position location, user interface and removable storage functionality, including Qualcomm’s gpsOne® solution, the world’s most broadly deployed assisted-GPS handset technology.
Qualcomm’s chipsets support the Company’s BREW® ecosystem, which enables the development and monetization of advanced applications and content, allowing operators and OEMs to differentiate their products and services and increase revenues. Qualcomm’s chipsets also are compatible with the Java™ runtime environment; J2ME™ can be built entirely on the chipset as an extension to the BREW solution.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company’s CDMA digital technology. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in the S&P 500 Index and is a 2004 FORTUNE 500® company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the Company’s ability to successfully design and have manufactured significant quantities of CDMA components on a timely and profitable basis, the extent and speed to which CDMA is deployed, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company’s SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 26, 2004, and most recent Form 10-Q.