May 25, 2004San Diego
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, today announced the finalists for its annual BREW Developer Awards, which recognizes outstanding applications developed in the past year for the Company’s BREW solution. Qualcomm will reveal the award-winning applications during the BREW 2004 Developers Conference, June 7-9, held at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina.
"With 27 operators in 20 countries offering compelling BREW-based applications to their subscribers, it was exciting to see an overwhelming amount of submissions for the BREW 2004 Developer Awards come in from global publishers and developers responsible for creating innovative content," said Gina Lombardi, senior vice president of marketing and product management for Qualcomm Internet Services. "The applications selected as the finalists stood out among the competition, and we’re pleased to recognize these developers who are leveraging the power of the BREW solution to create exceptionally useful and fun services and applications for subscribers worldwide."
The BREW Developer Awards recognizes applications in six different categories. The finalists were chosen by an anonymous panel of industry experts based on several criteria including originality, ease-of-use, "cool factor" and features.
BREW 2004 Developer Awards finalists:
- Best Entertainment Application: EZ-FM by ITOCHU Corp. & NanoMedia, Inc. (Japan); Magic Photo by IBSnet Co., Ltd. (South Korea); Taiko no Tatsujin by Namco® Ltd. (Japan)
- Best Games Application: Battle Baseball 2004 by GAMEVIL Inc. (South Korea); JAMDAT® Bowling 2 by JAMDAT Mobile, Inc. (North America); Sword of Troodon by Troodon Entertainment Technology Co., Ltd. (China)
- Best Information Application: JTB Norikae Jikokuhyou by Edia Co., Ltd. (Japan); Mobile Movies.com by Walt Disney Internet Group (North America); Weathernews by Weathernews Americas Inc. (North America)
- Best Communication Application: RocketMMS™ by Rocket Mobile Inc. (North America); Tencent QQ by Tencent Technology Ltd. (China); Wmail 2.0 by WIZ Technologies (Brazil)
- Best Productivity/M-Commerce Application: 2D Code Reader by MediaSeek Inc. (Japan); Mobile Banking by China M-World Co. Ltd. (China); Smart Traffic™ by Pharos Science & Applications (North America)
- Best Location-Based Services Application: EZnaviwalk by Navitime Japan Co. Ltd. (Japan); OKMap by Chengdu ChinaOK Network Technology Corp. (China); Vindigo® City Guide by Vindigo Studios (North America)
Qualcomm’s BREW system provides products and services that connect the mobile marketplace value chain, which includes application developers, publishers, content providers, device manufacturers, operators and consumers.
Publishers and developers worldwide are generating revenue from BREW-based applications and content and 26 manufacturers have offered more than 135 BREW-enabled device models to consumers. There are many successful operators that have deployed commercial BREW-based wireless data services around the world, including Verizon Wireless, ALLTEL, Cellular One, MetroPCS, Midwest Wireless and U.S. Cellular in the United States, China Unicom, KDDI in Japan, KTF in South Korea, Hutch in Thailand, Telstra in Australia, VIVO in Brazil, BellSouth Chile, BellSouth Colombia, BellSouth Ecuador, BellSouth Panama, BellSouth Perú, Movicom in Argentina, Telcel and Movilnet in Venezuela, Verizon in the Dominican Republic, Verizon Wireless Puerto Rico, Pelephone in Israel and Zapp in Romania.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company’s CDMA digital technology. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in the S&P 500 Index and is a 2003 FORTUNE 500® company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the extent and speed to which the BREW solution is adopted and deployed, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company’s SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 28, 2003, and most recent Form 10-Q.