Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, today announced that the Company will showcase a variety of leading third-generation (3G) CDMA wireless products and solutions at CTIA Wireless 2004 in Atlanta, March 22-24 in booth number 3931, Hall B4 at the Georgia World Congress Center. Qualcomm’s innovative wireless technologies, coupled with the increasing adoption of 3G CDMA around the world, are making it possible for consumers to stay connected, anytime and anywhere, while businesses are able to increase productivity and gain a competitive edge.
On the show’s opening day, Dr. Irwin Mark Jacobs, chairman and CEO of Qualcomm, will lead a press conference at 2 p.m. EST in Room B403 to introduce the Company’s roadmap for multimedia convergence. Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, president of Qualcomm Wireless & Internet Group, will discuss Qualcomm’s new multimedia services and applications. Dr. Sanjay K. Jha, president of Qualcomm CDMA Technologies, will discuss Qualcomm’s strategy for bringing to market chipset solutions that integrate multimedia support for advanced audio, video, imaging and graphics in wireless devices.
"The high-speed delivery of rich multimedia content, such as video and audio, is one of the true promises of 3G. Qualcomm’s entire family of products and solutions is evolving to meet the need for such services, while continuing to enrich the overall wireless experience for consumers and businesses," said Dr. Paul Jacobs. "As 3G CDMA data rates increase, Qualcomm once again is at the forefront in providing operators the technology and expertise to deliver new compelling applications and services as we’ve seen through the success of the BREW solution."
"Today, an increasing number of high-quality multimedia handsets based on Qualcomm’s MSM6xxx series chipsets are being brought to market from our leading base of handset manufacturers," said Dr. Sanjay Jha. "Through extensive collaboration with these partners and our specific initiatives in integrating imaging, graphics, audio and video in our single-chip solution, Qualcomm continues to provide market-leading products for the wireless world."
Delivering the industry’s best solutions for accelerating wireless multimedia usage, Qualcomm’s next-generation multimode, multimedia platform, supporting leading 2G and 3G standards, enables power-efficient, high-resolution wireless devices with larger screens and impressive multimedia capabilities. Backed by Qualcomm’s Launchpad™ suite of integrated advanced features, the platform enables not only high-intensity multimedia applications, but also superior position location, connectivity, user interface, and removable storage capabilities.
Demonstrations of Qualcomm’s advanced technology solutions and products featured at the Company’s booth #3931, Hall B4 include:
- Next-generation multimedia capabilities enabled by Qualcomm chipsets, including 3D graphics and gaming, advanced imaging and audio/video functionality. Feature-rich applications and services running over a high-speed CDMA2000 1xEV-DO airlink, on wireless card-equipped devices.
- The low-latency QChat® push-to-chat solution featuring an interactive “Push-to-Pursuit” trivia game.
- Multiple developers and publishers demonstrating the latest applications developed for Qualcomm’s BREW™ system, including - Airborne Entertainment, AOL®, Datumcom, Enorbus, Followap, JAMDAT Mobile, Kanematsu, mPortal, Networks In Motion™, Ofoto/Kodak, Rocket Mobile®, Sharp Electronics, Superscape, waymobile.com, Weathernews and Xpherix™.
- The new QPoint™ solution, which leverages the power of Qualcomm’s BREW system and gpsOne™ hybrid Assisted GPS wireless location technology for mobile phones, provides the most complete end-to-end mass-market Location-Based Services (LBS) solution available today.
- A host of significant enhancements to CDMA2000 1xEV-DO shown publicly on a live network with devices for the first time — faster data speeds of 3.1 Mbps on the forward link and 1.8 Mbps on the reverse link; Gold Multicast (one-to-many) that enables operators to greatly improve the efficiency of multimedia content delivery and Quality of Service (QoS) enhancements that provide support for high network priority services such as video telephony, VoIP and low-latency games.
- Demonstrations of Qualcomm’s OmniOne® mobile communications system, a low-cost transportation application for digital mobile phones that provides trucking companies, affiliate fleets and subcontractors with Qualcomm fleet management solutions.
- Live, over-the-air demonstration of an IP-based, compact, modular CDMA base station system over CDMA2000 1X and 1xEV-DO networks. Based on open published standards, this is a reference design base station that Qualcomm is making available to selected licensees.
Qualcomm executives will discuss key wireless industry trends during CTIA Wireless 2004:
- Dr. Paul Jacobs will participate in the “Overcoming Fragmentation” panel on Tuesday, March 23, from 1 – 2:30 p.m. in Room B313.
- Bill Davidson, vice president of investor relations, will participate in the Analyst Roundtable on Monday, March 22, from 3:30 – 5 p.m. in Room B314.
- Gary Koerper, director of product management, will speak at the World’s Smallest Film Festival on Tuesday, March 23 at 11:30 a.m. on the CTIA main stage in Hall B5.
- Jing Wang, senior vice president and chairman for Qualcomm China, will give a keynote presentation on “Understand the Chinese Wireless Market and Capture Growth Opportunities” on Tuesday, March 23, from 1:30 – 2 p.m. in Room B310, followed by a panel discussion entitled “Seize the Golden Opportunities as the Chinese Wireless Market Migrates to 3G” at 2:30 p.m.
- Benson Lam, senior director of business development, will give a talk on “How to Successfully Tap the Wireless Market in China” on Tuesday, March 23, from 3:30 – 4 p.m. in Room B310.
Dr. Irwin Jacobs will receive the IEEE Communications Society Distinguished Industry Leader Award at a ceremony on Monday, March 22, from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. at the 755 Club at Turner Field.
For additional information about the Company’s activities at CTIA Wireless 2004, please visit www.qualcomm.com/CTIA2004. Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company’s CDMA digital technology. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in the S&P 500 Index and is a 2003 FORTUNE 500® company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the Company’s ability to successfully design and have manufactured significant quantities of CDMA components on a timely and profitable basis, the extent and speed to which CDMA is deployed, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company’s SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 28, 2003, and most recent Form 10-Q.