Appointment of Dedicated European BREW Staff, Growing Community of European-Based Developers Signal Increased Interest in BREW Products and Services in EuropeGENEVA
Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, today announced an enhanced commitment in the European wireless market for the Company's BREW system. Qualcomm's BREW system provides products and services that connect the mobile marketplace value chain, which includes application developers, publishers, content providers, device manufacturers, operators and consumers. The BREW system of products and services will be on display at ITU Telecom World 2003, on October 12-18 in booth 205 (Hall 1) at the Geneva Palexpo in Geneva, Switzerland.
During the past year, Qualcomm has taken several steps to increase support of the BREW system in Europe. Most recently, Qualcomm assigned a dedicated BREW team to the Company's London office to support operator trials and launches of BREW-based services, in addition to providing increased assistance to developers located in Europe. Qualcomm has named Johan Lodenius as senior vice president of European business relations, Qualcomm Internet Services, to lead the European BREW team. Lodenius previously served as senior vice president of marketing for Qualcomm CDMA Technologies.
"We believe there is plenty of opportunity for the BREW system to have a positive impact on the value added services and content being offered to European wireless subscribers," said Lodenius. "Qualcomm is making a long term commitment to work closely with operators, developers and handset manufacturers in Europe with the goal of helping them realize the significant results already being experienced with the BREW solution in other regions around the world."
Joining Lodenius in London are several key employees with significant experience and accomplishments supporting the successful commercialization of BREW-based products and services around the world, including Jan Lezny, senior director of European business relations and operations; Vicki Mealer, director of product management; and Jim Callanan, director of engineering.
At ITU Telecom World 2003, a number of European developers will demonstrate their latest applications for the Binary Runtime Environment for Wireless™ (BREW) platform, including the following:
- esmertec, a global company headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland, will demonstrate its esmertec Mobile Foundation for BREW, a small and powerful TRUE BREW™ tested and Java™ certified MIDP 2.0 Java Virtual Machine (JVM) solution for BREW devices, delivering application performance approximately 10-times faster than typical KVM.
- Teleca, a leader in software applications for information-enabling mobile phones, based in Stockholm, Sweden, will be showing its Obigo browsing and messaging solution for BREW and Mobile Station Modem™ (MSM™) chipsets.
- Interzen, a leading Italian developer, will demonstrate two BREW-based applications: Traffico, a real-time traffic information application, and Tempo, an easy to use weather station application that covers major European cities.
- Macrospace, a London-based market leader in mobile games, will demonstrate select BREW-based games including: Dragon Island, Detonate!, The Flintstones Grocery Hunt and Yogi Bear's Pic-a-Nic.
- Webraska Mobile Technologies, a Paris-based provider of integrated wireless location-based services (LBS), telematics applications, navigation and mobile enterprise solutions, will demonstrate Webraska Maps & Directions, an integrated, easy-to-use application combining proximity-based point-of-interest searching and address book storage with driving and walking directions and map display. Webraska is also demonstrating live precision LBS applications enabled by Qualcomm's gpsOne™ Assisted-GPS wireless location system, and powered by Webraska's Smartzone™ Geospatial Platform.
- Gameloft, a Paris-based international publisher and leader in the wireless gaming market for mobile phones, will demonstrate several of its BREW-based games, including: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell®, Siberian Strike, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six®, Prince of Persia: Harem Adventures, Skate & Slam and Cartel Wars.
In support of the European developer community and the growing interest in creating content for the BREW platform, Qualcomm has established a BREW Developer Lab in the United Kingdom to provide hands-on training and support for developers. The Company also plans to host a regional developer conference to provide additional information for developers on deploying BREW-based applications to operators offering BREW-based services in other countries.
Publishers and developers worldwide are generating revenue from BREW-based applications and content, and 18 manufacturers have offered more than 90 BREW-enabled device models to consumers. BREW is successfully enabling the commercial wireless data services of many very successful operators, including Verizon Wireless, ALLTEL, Midwest Wireless and U.S. Cellular in the United States, China Unicom, KDDI in Japan, KTF in South Korea, Telstra in Australia, VIVO in Brazil and BellSouth International in Colombia.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company's CDMA digital technology. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in the S&P 500 Index and is a 2003 FORTUNE 500® company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the Company's ability to successfully design and have manufactured significant quantities of CDMA components on a timely and profitable basis, the extent and speed to which CDMA is deployed and the BREW solution is adopted, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 30, 2002, and most recent Form 10-Q.
October 13, 2003October 13, 2003