Oct 12, 2003SAN DIEGO
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
SAN DIEGO -- October 12, 2003 -- Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, will be exhibiting a multitude of innovative wireless products and solutions at ITU Telecom World 2003 on October 12-18 in booth 205 (Hall One) at the Geneva Palexpo in Geneva, Switzerland. Qualcomm's third-generation (3G) CDMA2000 and UMTS (WCDMA) products and solutions demonstrate how the Company's partnerships have resulted in a broad range of enhanced wireless data devices, applications and services, independent of wireless network interfaces and standards. These efforts underscore Qualcomm's commitment to helping wireless operators across the globe transition to 3G networks, resulting in expanded customer offerings and increased revenue opportunities.
"Third generation wireless is continuing to thrive around the world, and Qualcomm continues to work across the entire mobile value chain to support the development of innovative products, services and applications," said Jeffrey K. Belk, senior vice president of marketing for Qualcomm. "As tens of millions of global CDMA2000 users and the increasing pace of UMTS adoption can attest, the promise of 3G is being delivered with truly differentiated devices, services and applications."
Qualcomm is committed to 3G and accelerating the rollout of UMTS (WCDMA) and CDMA2000 1X. The Company's solutions, including UMTS (WCDMA)/GSM/GPRS, CDMA2000 and GSM1x chipsets and the Launchpad™ suite of technologies, are driving handset and subscriber volumes. 3G has been a success when manufacturers and operators have delivered differentiated wireless products and services to market at attractive consumer price points.
Qualcomm's BREWTM system supports the deployment and download of wireless data applications. The BREW solution's air interface, whether run on UMTS (WCDMA), GPRS, CDMA2000 or cdmaOne networks, and its support for multiple programming languages and wireless operating systems, delivers significant increase in ARPU for network operators worldwide.
Qualcomm's advanced technology solutions that will be exhibited at the Company's booth during ITU Telecom World 2003 include:
- Video telephony and enterprise applications demonstrated via UMTS (WCDMA) networks on customer handsets and data cards using the MSM6200™ chipset solution
- A profile of the Launchpad suite of integrated applications enabled by Qualcomm's MSM6250™ chipset, a multimedia and gpsOne™ position location solution that operates on GSM, GPRS and UMTS (WCDMA) networks worldwide
- Handset demonstrations include applications using gpsOne position location technology
- Live demonstrations of the BREW solution running over CDMA, GPRS and UMTS (WCDMA) networks, and BREW-enabled mobile enterprise applications running on PDA and iPAQ wireless devices
- A BREW partner area featuring six European developers: esmertec, Gameloft, Interzen, Macrospace, Teleca and Webraska; and a device display featuring approximately 100 BREW-enabled devices from around the world
- Rich multimedia applications and services running over a high-speed CDMA2000 1xEV-DO airlink, on a variety of devices including wireless card equipped laptops and PDAs
Qualcomm will host a press briefing on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 at noon in Palexpo, Room E. Dr. Irwin M. Jacobs, chairman and CEO of Qualcomm, will discuss the state of 3G CDMA around the globe. Additionally, Dr. Jacobs will participate on a keynote panel entitled, "3G vs. Wireless LANs: Competition or Collaboration?" on Wednesday, October 15 from 4:30 - 6 p.m. in Palexpo, Room B.
For examples of 3G devices, services and applications, please visit Qualcomm's newly revised site atwww.3gtoday.com.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company's CDMA digital technology. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in theS&P500 Index and is a 2003 FORTUNE 500® company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the Company's ability to successfully design and have manufactured significant quantities of CDMA components on a timely and profitable basis, the extent and speed to which CDMA is deployed, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 30, 2002, and most recent Form 10-Q.