Mar 17, 2003NEW ORLEANS
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, today announced that the Company - along with 16 BREW application publishers and developers - will demonstrate the latest offerings for the BREW solution at CTIA Wireless 2003, March 17-19 at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans. These demonstrations provide a peek into the success of the international community of application providers who are realizing business growth and profit from the growing adoption of the BREW solution by wireless operators and subscribers worldwide.
BREW is a complete end-to-end wireless solution that provides the necessary tools and value-added services to publishers, developers, device manufacturers and wireless operators for applications development and distribution, device configuration, and billing and payment.
"The companies who are joining us at CTIA Wireless 2003 provide a great representation of the community of BREW partner companies who are realizing success and revenue from their adoption of the BREW solution," said Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, group president, Qualcomm Wireless and Internet Group. "The BREW solution is continuing its significant momentum and is rapidly establishing itself as the premier solution for the development and delivery of wireless data services."
BREW Partner Pavilion
Sixteen application providers will share exhibit space and demonstrate their latest applications on BREW-enabled handsets in the Qualcomm booth (Hall F, Booth # 5331) at CTIA Wireless 2003, including:
- ACCESS, a global communications software provider, will unveil its NetFront v3.0 browser for use on BREW-enabled handsets.
- Comverse Technology demonstrates the messaging handset clients application for the BREW solution.
- dotPhoto will demonstrate a new version of its cutting-edge Pictavision application, which allows BREW subscribers to download, view, e-mail and store color photos on their handsets; in addition to its new Blabtones™ application, which enables users to create customized ringtones with a PC microphone or download pre-recorded sounds, quotes and music from the Blabtones library.
- Faith West will share a demonstration of its popular Modtones™ application, a hip polyphonic ringtone offering for the BREW solution.
- Logitech and generationPIX will shine the spotlight on the Logitech® Mobile Video service, a product that allows BREW subscribers to view live video on their handsets.
- Insignia Solutions will demonstrate its Insignia Mobile Foundation™ Java®-enabling software technology, a MIDP-compliant virtual machine (VM) which has been written as an extension to the BREW client. The Mobile Foundation VM can be downloaded over the air and provisioned on BREW-enabled handsets, opening up the BREW business and distribution model to Java developers.
- JAMDAT Mobile, a leading publisher of wireless entertainment content, will demonstrate its current and new applications including an advanced martial arts combat game that features deep multiplayer functionality. JAMDAT applications enjoy great popularity among subscribers of BREW-enabled services in the United States and Asia.
- Magus Soft, a leading application developer in China, will provide CTIA attendees with a preview of its popular game and information applications, including Mobi Escape, a puzzle game; Chinese Mahjong; Lake Fishing, a game scored by number of fish caught; Instant Weather; and Daily Fortune.
- Mforma Group will preview its newest games for the BREW solution, including two games based on hit movie franchises, Star Trek® Nemesis and Top Gun™.
- Rocket Mobile will highlight its RocketMMS™ application, a BREW-based Multimedia Messaging Services (MMS) client that allows users to compose, send and receive messages filled with rich multimedia content.
- Sony Pictures Digital will showcase various game and entertainment applications based on the studio's latest film hits and popular television game shows.
- Sorrent will demonstrate a variety of its distinctive games for the BREW solution, including branded sports games that deliver the rush of live action sports synonymous with FOX Sports.
- Tourmaline Networks will demonstrate its e-mail solutions for BREW-enabled devices, including its Email Executive and Soda-Pop Email applications.
- Vindigo will highlight its "Vindigo 2.0 for BREW" application, a local information service that lets customers find the best and closest places to eat, shop and play in over 60 U.S. markets, using a BREW-enabled handset.
- Wiz Technologies, a leading application developer in Brazil, will demonstrate its latest BREW applications soon to be available on the BREW services offered by the joint venture between Telefónica Móviles and Portugal Telecom.
- Xpherix will showcase its integrated iPhonebook™ application with iCalendar functionality, which connects mobile phone users to the critical information they keep on their computers and other electronic devices — all at the touch of a mobile phone button.
Qualcomm, joined by ALLTEL, Kyocera and PalmSource, will hold a press conference on Tuesday, March 18 at 2 p.m. in Room 253 to unveil a new element to the BREW-based services for ALLTEL subscribers. Room 253 is located on the second level of the convention center near the CTIA Wireless 2003 media center.
On Tuesday, March 18, Peggy Johnson, president of Qualcomm Internet Services, will deliver the keynote address at Wireless Week's "Executive Women in Wireless Breakfast." This breakfast is an annual, invitation-only event for women executives in the wireless industry. Sponsored by Wireless Week, a leading trade publication, the event encourages attendees to network with influential peers and be inspired and motivated by the brightest minds in the business.
Deployments of the BREW solution continue as operators throughout the world join Verizon Wireless and ALLTEL in the United States, KTF in South Korea, KDDI in Japan, and China Unicom in commercializing BREW-based services. The joint venture between Telefónica Móviles and Portugal Telecom plans to roll out BREW services to subscribers in Latin America this month, and U.S. Cellular has launched a BREW user trial. More than 40 BREW-enabled handset models have been offered to consumers worldwide and more than 40 device manufacturers have indicated their interest in the Binary Runtime Environment for Wireless™ (BREW) platform.
Qualcomm's BREW solution is a complete product and business ecosystem for the development and over-the-air deployment of data services on wireless devices. The BREW solution provides the necessary tools and value-added services to developers, device manufacturers and wireless operators for applications development and distribution, device configuration, and billing and payment.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company's CDMA digital technology. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in theS&P500 Index and traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the Company's ability to successfully design and have manufactured significant quantities of CDMA components on a timely and profitable basis, the extent and speed to which CDMA is deployed and the BREW solution is adopted, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 30, 2002, and most recent Form 10-Q.