Mar 17, 2003SAN DIEGO
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
NEW ORLEANS -- March 17, 2003 - Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, today demonstrated a suite of new enhancements for CDMA2000 1xEV-DO, a third-generation (3G) wireless technology optimized for data, at CTIA Wireless 2003 in New Orleans. In line with the Company's vision of technology innovation, these advanced enhancements will provide time to market advantage and will further build on the momentum of CDMA2000 1xEV-DO deployments worldwide.
The enhancements shown in live demonstrations today continue the natural evolution of CDMA2000 1xEV-DO by providing the capability for richer multimedia experiences, faster data rates and higher system capacity for network operators. These capabilities will benefit enterprises and mobile consumers, as well as fixed residential users of CDMA2000 1xEV-DO service.
"Qualcomm is continuously looking for ways to improve and advance CDMA's capabilities, and in the case of CDMA2000 1xEV-DO, the addition of new and differentiating features will provide subscribers an even greater wireless experience," said Dr. Roberto Padovani, chief technology officer, Qualcomm. "The enhanced features also enable new revenue streams for operators. Operators across the globe can benefit from a suite of leading edge features, while minimizing system upgrade costs."
The CDMA2000 1xEV-DO enhancements demonstrated at CTIA in Qualcomm's booth are currently in various stages of implementation and standardization. These key feature enhancements include:
- Quality of Service (QoS): The Quality of Service (QoS) feature enables the system to treat various users and applications with different levels of priority. The system has the ability to recognize traffic with higher priority and send those packets ahead of others. Operators can thereby offer tiered services and multiple pricing plans for different user classes.
- Instant Multi-Media (IMM): The Instant Multi-Media (IMM) concept can be used to implement conferencing with the additional capability to send video images to the entire group. The IMM concept is unique in that both audio and video can come from the same user or from two different users.
- Location Based Services (LBS): When in need of Location Based Services (LBS), CDMA2000 1xEV-DO can quickly download an array of multimedia images that are relevant to the specific location of the user in the wide area network.
- Equalizer: Advanced signal processing in user devices enables the Equalizer feature to significantly increase user data rates and capacity in a given CDMA2000 1xEV-DO network. The Equalizer enables devices to provide faster Internet access, quicker downloads and broader applications usage.
- Receive Diversity: Receive Diversity uses additional antennas and associated receive chains to enable a device or network to have improved signal reception. Building on Receive Diversity techniques pioneered by CDMA2000 1xEV-DO, the improved signal reception translates into higher data rates for CDMA2000 systems. The receive diversity techniques can also be utilized to provide an additional doubling of CDMA2000 voice capacity.
- 2X Multicarrier: The initial capability demonstration of 2X Multicarrier shows the possibility in the future of having devices with the ability to access two CDMA2000 1xEV-DO RF carriers simultaneously, thereby doubling the available data rates. The peak data rate on the forward link can in effect be up to 5 Mbps. In addition, simultaneous voice and high-speed data are possible in the future with devices able to access both CDMA2000 1X and CDMA2000 1xEV-DO at the same time.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company's CDMA digital technology. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in theS&P500 Index and traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the Company's ability to successfully design and have manufactured significant quantities of CDMA components on a timely and profitable basis, the extent and speed to which CDMA is deployed, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 30, 2002 and most recent Form 10-Q.