Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, today announced that the Company will showcase advanced wireless products and solutions reflecting CTIA Wireless 2003's theme of "Live Well, Play Hard and Work Smart," on March 17-19 in booth number 5331 (Hall F) at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans. These products and solutions are key to the migration and adoption of third-generation (3G) CDMA wireless services. 3G CDMA is making it possible today for business professionals to work smart, increasing their efficiency and productivity, and is allowing consumers to live well and play hard, enriching the overall wireless experience for everyone.
"3G CDMA is here and thriving. Carriers around the globe are offering consumers a wide variety of advanced features, including gpsOne position-location services such as mapping and navigation, and applications downloaded via the BREW platform such as games, ring tones and business management tools," said Jeffrey K. Belk, senior vice president of marketing for Qualcomm. "Qualcomm will continue to drive mainstream adoption of 3G CDMA to open doors for operators to generate revenue and improve the way we work, live and play."
Commercial deployments by 37 operators in 19 countries are a true testament to the reality of 3G. Enabled by Qualcomm CDMA chipsets and system software, over 50 manufacturers have brought more than 200 phones and wireless devices to the marketplace. These phones and devices are allowing millions of consumers worldwide to take advantage of the features and capabilities that 3G CDMA offers, including high-speed wireless data cards, phones with color displays and integrated cameras, built-in MP3 and video players, downloadable games and graphics, e-mail and Web browsing, and new location-based safety and security services. The combination of higher data rates, more powerful capabilities, and attractive devices and applications are driving the demand for 3G, making it a very compelling business model for operators to deliver productive and fun wireless services that drive profit and performance.
Demonstrations of Qualcomm's advanced technology solutions and products that will be featured at the Company's booth include:
- The latest games, entertainment, e-mail, productivity and other wireless applications developed for the BREW™ platform will be demonstrated by 16 publishers and developers in the BREW Partner Pavilion.
- A profile of the Launchpad™ suite of integrated applications enabled by the MSM6100™ Mobile Station Modem (MSM™) chipset solution. Handset demonstrations include gpsOne position location technology plus a variety of multimedia applications: Qtv™ streaming video, Compact Media Extension (CMX™) multimedia applications, MP3 Player, 3D Java games and Bluetooth™.
- Streaming video demonstrations on WCDMA customer handsets that are enabled by Qualcomm chipsets.
- Handset demonstrations of the MSM6300™ MSM chipset and system software solution, to enable development of small form factor, multimode handsets that operate in either CDMA2000 1X (3G) or GSM/GPRS (2G) networks.
- New enhancements for CDMA2000 1xEV-DO that include Instant Multi-Media (IMM), Quality of Service (QoS) and location-based applications. Capabilities for further enhancing CDMA2000 1xEV-DO including 2X Multicarrier, Equalizer and Receive Diversity will also be demonstrated.
- The GlobalTRACS™ equipment management system for the transportation industry, showing how equipment and location data can be accessed via an easy-to-use Web application or can be integrated into leading industry software applications.
Qualcomm executives will discuss key wireless industry trends during CTIA Wireless 2003:
- Dr. Irwin Mark Jacobs, CEO and chairman, Qualcomm, will present his keynote on Tuesday, March 18 at 8:20 a.m. in Hall I.
- Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, group president of Qualcomm Wireless and Internet Group, will present on a panel entitled, "Multimedia&Next Generation Applications," on Monday, March 17, from 1-2:30 p.m. in Room 271.
- Peggy Johnson, president of Qualcomm Internet Services, will give the keynote address at Wireless Week's "Executive Women in Wireless" invitation-only breakfast, on Tuesday, March 18.
For additional information about the Company's activities at CTIA Wireless 2003, please visit www.qualcomm.com/ctia2003.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company's CDMA digital technology. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in theS&P500 Index and traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the Company's ability to successfully design and have manufactured significant quantities of CDMA components on a timely and profitable basis, the extent and speed to which CDMA is deployed, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 30, 2002, and most recent Form 10-Q.