Mar 13, 2003SAN DIEGO
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, today announced its continued commitment to the wireless game and entertainment industry by highlighting recent milestone announcements and by looking ahead to the accelerated adoption of BREW-enabled game and entertainment products and services. As the industry's only complete end-to-end wireless data applications solution that solves billing and payment issues for operators, publishers and developers, and provides consumers with the ability to download applications over the air, the proliferation of Qualcomm's cutting-edge BREW solution will be a key contributor to the growth of mobile games and entertainment.
"Qualcomm's BREW solution provides us with the most flexible technology for the creation and delivery of entertainment content," said Masao Ohata, vice president, Bandai Network Entertainment. "We look forward to our continued work on BREW-enabled applications as we continue to create compelling content for operators and their subscribers."
"The past year has been a breakthrough year for the wireless gaming industry. Now that advanced handsets are on the market, users worldwide are rapidly adopting next-generation wireless gaming as a real, truly engaging source of entertainment," said Mitch Lasky, CEO of JAMDAT Mobile Inc. "As a leading publisher in this space, JAMDAT has achieved success well beyond our expectations, thanks in great part to BREW. BREW enables us to publish the exciting games that users want, an integral part of our excellence."
"Qualcomm has proven itself as one of the leaders in the mobile game and entertainment industries by giving content providers like SEGA an end-to-end solution to successfully bring wireless games to market," said Ryoichi Shiratsuchi, CEO of Sega.com and general manager, Network Business Division, SEGA Corporation. "Working with BREW to create compelling mobile games like SEGA Snowboarding and classic SEGA titles like Pengo and Flicky, SEGA and Qualcomm continue to push wireless data services and mobile games themselves to new heights and into new markets."
"BREW's revenue model is one of the most ingenious things that has ever been done," said John Smedley, president, Sony Online Entertainment. "They are helping fuel the market."
"Gamers demand state-of-the-art quality in each new game release," said Isaac Babbs, president of worldwide distribution and marketing for Sorrent. "The BREW platform and the advanced handsets it supports, allow Sorrent to push the envelope and create an unparalleled game experience for wireless users. The upcoming launch of the BREW version of our FOX Sports Basketball game will feature 3D-rendered animations, realistic sounds and Sorrent's smartest application interface yet."
"The BREW solution has dramatically changed the landscape of the mobile game and entertainment industries," said Doug Dyer, general manager of THQ Wireless. "We believe that it provides a rapidly developing global outlet for our games, complementing our existing distribution channels. THQ is actively developing new games for BREW-powered handsets with at least five more titles planned for launch over the course of the next few months."
Highlights of recent announcements:
- Bandai America is developing a variety of BREW-enabled games and entertainment applications, including 3D Bass Fishing, 3D Bowling and 3D Darts. Bandai will also showcase many of its well-known franchises later this year.
- Blue Lava Wireless announced the development of the official version of the classic and perennially favorite Tetris® for the BREW platform. It is targeted for commercial launch in the coming weeks.
- Dwango® Wireless is developing BREW versions of STAR EXCEED™, a top down vertical shooting game where players lock on to targets, track and shoot; and dwango Racing™, a car driving game in which players race against up to eight different computer rivals. Both games are expected to be released this spring.
- Gameloft™ currently offers a variety of titles for BREW users including the wireless version of the classic PC game Prince of Persia®, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® and a number of other games. Gameloft will also be releasing Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell® in the near future.
- JAMDAT and Verizon Wireless currently offer a suite of four games and entertainment applications based on New Line Cinema's "The Lord of the Rings, Two Towers" film, available through Verizon Wireless' Get It NowSM service. The company is also announcing three new titles at CTIA Wireless 2003, March 17-19. In addition to the current slate of JAMDAT games, BREW users will enjoy the video game classic, Pitfall!®, an original sports title in JAMDAT Racing, and JAMDAT Fudomyo, a martial arts combat game with deep, compelling multiplayer functionality and community features.
- Mforma will offer two BREW-enabled titles based on the hit movie franchises, Star Trek® Nemesis and Top Gun™.
- Mobliss® has brought BREW users multi-player action with Family Feud™ based on the classic TV game show. The company also developer the fast-pace card game, Wild West Blackjack.
- SEGA Mobile is currently offering adrenaline-pumping excitement via BREW-exclusive SEGA Snowboarding as well several classic and action-packed games including Flicky, Pengo and SEGA Fast Lane.
- Sony Online Entertainment will soon launch the much-anticipated mobile phone debut of EverQuest®: Hero's Call™ on BREW-enabled handsets.
- Sony Pictures Digital will offer favorite arcade classics like Q*bert and additional wireless games based on popular game TV shows, as well as titles based on the studio's latest hits such as "XXX Triple Threat" and "Stuart Little 2." BREW-enabled games currently available from Sony Pictures Digital include "Wheel of Fortune" and "JEOPARDY!"
- Sorrent will offer BREW-enabled games and entertainment applications based on FOX Sports branded sports titles; basketball star and rookie sensation Yao Ming; the hit television series "THE X-FILES;" and DuraTrax radio controlled cars.
- Thumbworks is offering BREW operators entertainment and game applications that include Etch A Sketch® and Suzuki® Motocross Challenge™.
- THQ Wireless will launch a range of wireless games on Verizon Wireless' Get It Now service. The first game, available immediately, is THQ's successful WWE Mobile Madness. THQ is also developing a large suite of applications to be rolled out over the next several years.
- ESPN has developed a number of ESPN-branded sports applications for the BREW platform including ESPN's 2-Minute Drill™, based on the popular, sports-trivia TV quiz show of the same name, as well as ESPN X Games Skateboarding and ESPN X Games Snowboarding.
Mobile Entertainment Summit
Building on the increasing popularity of BREW-enabled game and entertainment applications, Qualcomm will share its insights in two speaking engagements at the Mobile Entertainment Summit at CTIA Wireless 2003, being held March 16 at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans.
- Gina Lombardi, senior vice president of marketing and product management, Qualcomm Internet Services, will participate in an executive panel titled "Mobile Entertainment: State of the Union" to be held from 10:30-11:20 a.m.
- Mike Yuen, director of product management, BREW Developer Relations, Qualcomm Internet Services, will participate in a panel titled "Technology Shootout," scheduled from 5-6 p.m.
Deployments of the BREW solution continue as operators throughout the world join Verizon Wireless and ALLTEL in the United States, KTF in South Korea, KDDI in Japan, and China Unicom in commercializing BREW-based services. The joint venture between Telefónica Móviles and Portugal Telecom plans to roll out BREW services to subscribers in Latin America this month. More than 40 BREW-enabled handset models have been offered to consumers worldwide and more than 40 device manufacturers have indicated their interest in the Binary Runtime Environment for Wireless™ (BREW) platform.
Qualcomm's BREW solution is a complete product and business ecosystem for the development and over-the-air deployment of data services on wireless devices. The BREW solution provides the necessary tools and value-added services to developers, device manufacturers and wireless operators for applications development and distribution, device configuration, and billing and payment.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company's CDMA digital technology. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in the S&P 500 Index and traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the Company's ability to successfully design and have manufactured significant quantities of CDMA components on a timely and profitable basis, the extent and speed to which CDMA is deployed and the BREW solution is adopted, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 30, 2002, and most recent Form 10-Q.