Nov 12, 2002SAN DIEGO
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
SAN DIEGO -- November 12, 2002 -- Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, today announced the MSM6250™ Mobile Station Modem (MSM™) chipset and system software, a highly integrated solution that supports GSM, GPRS and the Frequency Division Duplex (FDD) mode of WCDMA - also known as UMTS. Offering support for numerous multimedia functions and position location capabilities, the MSM6250 solution will enable handsets that support rich multimedia data applications and operate on all GSM, GPRS and UMTS networks worldwide.
The MSM6250 solution incorporates the advanced feature set of Qualcomm's Launchpad™ suite of technologies, including MPEG-4 video encoding/decoding, fast JPEG encoding/decoding, MP3 audio decoding, a 2D/3D graphics accelerator for advanced gaming applications, a MIDI synthesizer and a megapixel digital camera interface.
"The MSM6250 chipset and system software will facilitate cost-effective handsets that combine all of the data capabilities and multimedia functionality of our CDMA2000 1X solutions, including advanced position location technology, with global GSM/UMTS network compatibility," said Don Schrock, president of Qualcomm CDMA Technologies. "The MSM6250 solution continues Qualcomm's leadership in driving the worldwide rollout of 3G technology, enabling UMTS operators to offer consumers new multimedia-based applications, graphic-rich games and other products and services."
The MSM6250 solution integrates the ARM926EJ-S processor, offering the ARM® Jazelle™ Java™ hardware accelerator, two low-power, high-performance QDSP4000™ Digital Signal Processor (DSP) cores and a wideband stereo codec for support of enhanced digital audio applications and other sophisticated 3G technologies. The QDSP4000 core eliminates the need for the multimedia companion processors normally required for video and audio-based applications, playing MP3 music files, MIDI synthesizer and 2D/3D graphics functions. By removing the need for costly application co-processors and memory subsystems, the MSM6250 solution reduces bill-of-materials costs and improves current consumption. This permits the development of smaller handsets with superior talk and standby times.
Sample shipments of the MSM6250 chipset and system software are expected to begin in Q2/03.
Key features of the MSM6250 solution include:
- Support for 3GPP Release 99 March 2002 Release
- Support for WCDMA data rates of up to 384 kbps
- High-performance ARM926EJ-S microprocessor core with memory management unit (MMU)
- ARM Jazelle Java hardware acceleration for faster Java-based games and other applets
- QDSP4000 high-performance DSP cores
- Integrated WAP 2.0 compliant browser with support for Multimedia Message Service (MMS)-based applications
- Integrated MPEG-4 encoder/decoder for MMS applications, streaming Video-on-Demand (VOD) and Video Chat
- Integrated JPEG encoder/decoder for content creation and MMS applications
- Integrated 2D/3D graphics accelerator engine for more realistic game play
- Integrated Bluetooth baseband processor for wireless connectivity to peripherals
- Integrated wideband stereo codec for digital audio applications
- Direct interface support for the cost-effective low-voltage, high-performance memory
- Direct interface with advanced color LCD controllers and displays
- Direct interface to digital camera modules
- Advanced 0.5mm pitch packaging technology
- Voice Recognition (PureVoiceVR™), including speaker-independent digit dialing
- Multimedia Card (MMC) or Secured Digital (SD) interface
- Universal Serial Bus (USB) On-The-Go (OTG)
- UMTS Subscriber Identity Module (USIM) card interface
- 48-polyphony MIDI wavetable synthesizer for high-quality music playback through the MSM6250 integrated wideband codec
- Support for location-based services without the need for a separate chip through integration of Qualcomm's MGP6200™ multimode GPS processor capabilities.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company's CDMA digital technology. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in theS&P500 Index and traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the Company's ability to successfully design and have manufactured significant quantities of CDMA components on a timely and profitable basis, the extent and speed to which CDMA is deployed, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 30, 2002 and most recent Form 10-Q.