BEIJING -- October 28, 2002 -- Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, today announced that the Company will be featuring its most advanced and innovative wireless technologies and solutions at PT/Expo Comm China 2002, Oct. 29-Nov. 2, at the China International Exhibition Center. The Company will demonstrate how its product offerings are helping to drive the adoption of advanced voice and data services and will highlight the success of CDMA2000 1X in Asia, and future CDMA2000 1X opportunities for China.
"Qualcomm is excited to be at PT/Expo Comm again this year to demonstrate how consumers in China and other parts of the world can leverage advanced wireless applications such as position location, photo exchange and multi-player games," said David Hind, vice president of business development for Qualcomm in China. "Advanced CDMA networks have already been commercially deployed in 11 countries by 21 carriers, bringing new levels of wireless services to millions of subscribers worldwide. CDMA2000 1X has brought high-speed, powerful wireless data applications to Asia and will deliver the same opportunities to China."
Demonstrations at the Qualcomm booth (#1006) will feature applications enabled by the Binary Runtime Environment for Wireless™ (BREW™ ) solution and Qualcomm integrated chipsets and system software, including:
- Live over-the-air downloads of Compact Media Extension (CMX™) files from the China Unicom server. This demonstration will also consist of ringers, animated ring tones, advertisements, cartoons and greeting cards.
- Video clips on the MSM6050™ solution will be demonstrated with MPEG-IV and QCELP.
- Qualcomm's 2D Sprite engine on the MSM6050 SURF, which features several icons in a 2D fashion with games exhibiting the capabilities of the Sprite engine.
Following is a list of the BREW-based applications on exhibit in Qualcomm's booth:
- Anyka: EMS client, which gives EMS functionality to non-EMS, BREW-enabled handsets; and MobileFlash, an animation player that can convert content from Macromedia Flash™ to make it suitable for mobile devices.
- E4E Wireless Company Ltd: E4E BREWStock, an m-commerce application that will connect BREW users to content providers, securities companies and banks to provide real-time stock quotations with technical charts in addition to stock news, reports, analysis and other market information.
- Magus Soft: Instant Weather, which provides weather conditions and three-day forecasts for all major cities in China; Mahjong, a mobile version of the popular Asian game where players race to form series of various suits from 136 tiles; and Mobi Escape, a puzzle game that requires players to guide a dog through a mysterious castle.
Qualcomm Internet Services will present a seminar titled "The Road to Profit is Paved with Data Revenue" on Tuesday, Oct. 29, 1:30-4:30 p.m. Charles Yu, director of product management, Qualcomm Internet Services China, will discuss successful BREW-based services from around the world and offer insights into how BREW provides developers, handset manufacturers and carriers with a complete technical and business solution and consumers with a compelling mobile experience. The seminar will be in Room 208 of the Service Building at the China International Exhibition Center.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company's CDMA digital technology. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in theS&P500 Index and traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the Company's ability to successfully design and have manufactured significant quantities of CDMA components on a timely and profitable basis, the extent and speed to which CDMA is deployed, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 30, 2001 and most recent Form 10-Q.
Qualcomm is a registered trademark of Qualcomm Incorporated. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
October 28, 2002October 28, 2002Qualcomm Demonstrates Advanced Technologies atPT/Expo Comm China 2002Qualcomm Demonstrates Advanced Technologies atPT/Expo Comm China 2002