Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, today announced that the Company will be showcasing its most advanced wireless solutions at CTIA Wireless I.T.&Internet 2002, at the Sands Expo and Venetian Hotel on October 16-18, 2002, in booth # 1608.
Qualcomm will demonstrate wireless technologies that are helping to accelerate the adoption of third-generation (3G) CDMA voice and data services worldwide. In the United States, Qualcomm's products and solutions are helping to keep consumers "always on" with reliable remote access via CDMA2000 1X, a solution that enables consumers to be connected anytime, anywhere, wherever their carriers have 3G coverage. Additionally, 3G CDMA enables the growth of wireless enterprise solutions, allowing mobile professionals to access company information behind the firewall, thereby providing mobility to workers beyond the fixed telecommunications environment.
"3G is opening the door for the creation of a broad array of products and services that deliver greater choice for consumers and the wireless enterprise market," said Jeffrey K. Belk, senior vice president of marketing for Qualcomm. "CDMA2000 1X enables users in the United States to access the wireless Internet from any remote location at higher speeds than dial-up, creating a nationwide 3G 'hot spot.' Qualcomm will continue to develop and deliver advanced technologies and solutions to meet the demand for compelling, useful and enhanced wireless services."
Demonstrations at the Qualcomm booth will include new technologies supported by the Company's chipsets and system software and applications enabled by the Binary Runtime Environment for Wireless™ BREW™ solution, on various handsets and devices with the following capabilities:
- Live CDMA2000 1xEV-DO data calls using GTRAN Wireless' DotSurfer™ 6210 Dual Band 1xEV-DO PC Card with Airvana's all-IP Radio Access Network equipment
- Camera (VGA) phones for point and shoot picture taking
- Media player 15fps (frames per second) QCIF (handset screen size) or 24fps sub QCIF
- MP3 player
- BREW game, entertainment and photo-sharing applications
- Over-the-air provisioning via the BREW solution of a Java technology-based virtual machine and Java-language applications
- GpsOne™ position location - wireless tracking of a vehicle driving through the streets of Las Vegas
- MSM6100™ Advanced Multimedia solution demonstration featuring video on demand (VOD) and camera phone applications
- Enterprise applications enabled by the BREW platform
At the BREW Partner Pavilion booth (#1812), 10 application providers will demonstrate new, fun and useful applications on BREW-enabled handsets. Providers include:
- Comverse Technology, Inc
- eMbience Inc.®
- Faith West Inc.
- generationPIX Inc.
- JAMDAT Mobile Inc.
- Summus Inc. (USA)
Qualcomm management will share industry expertise in several educational panel sessions during the conference, including:
- Mike Yuen, senior manager of BREW Developer Relations, will participate in the "Making Money in Wireless Entertainment" panel at the Wireless Data University on Oct. 15 at 1 p.m. in room 502 of the Venetian Hotel.
- Yuen also will participate in the "Building the Toolkit" panel, which is part of the Mobile Entertainment Summit on Oct. 16 at 3:30 p.m. in room 503 at the Venetian Hotel.
- Jason Kenagy, senior director of BREW product management, will present on the "Platforms and Applications" panel on Oct. 16 at 11:30 a.m. in room 103 at the Venetian Hotel.
- Wireless Knowledge's vice president of marketing, Jeff Ross, is participating in a panel entitled, "Introduction and Panel Objectives: Wireless I.T.&Internet 2002: Use Cases I" on Oct. 17 from 11:30-1 p.m. Wireless Knowledge is a Qualcomm subsidiary.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company's CDMA digital technology. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in theS&P500 Index and traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the Company's ability to successfully design and have manufactured significant quantities of CDMA components on a timely and profitable basis, the extent and speed to which CDMA is deployed, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 30, 2001 and most recent Form 10-Q.