Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, today announced that it will highlight the next phase of its Binary Runtime Environment for Wireless( (BREW() initiative at the CTIA Wireless I.T.&Internet 2001 show, Sept. 11-13, 2001, at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, Calif. Qualcomm Internet Services (QIS), a division of Qualcomm responsible for the BREW platform for wireless devices and part of the Wireless&Internet Group, will showcase new applications developed by third-party developers and share insight into the progress the BREW platform has achieved since its introduction at the beginning of this year.
"We're excited about our progress in advancing the BREW platform as a standard applications environment for wireless devices," said Gina Lombardi, senior vice president of marketing and product management, Qualcomm Internet Services. "We have several developments about the deployment of the BREW platform to share with the wireless industry at this year's show."
QIS and Verizon Press Briefing
QIS will kick off CTIA Wireless I.T.&Internet Show with a press briefing co-hosted with Verizon Wireless. The press briefing will be held on Sept. 11 at 11 a.m. in the CTIA Media Center (Room Number 23A) at the San Diego Convention Center. For more information about the press briefing, see related media advisory (dated Sept. 10, 2001).
BREW Partner Pavilion
New applications for the BREW platform will be on display in the BREW Partner Pavilion on the exhibit hall floor in Booth Number 1631. Wireless industry insiders at the CTIA Wireless I.T.&Internet 2001 show will want to stop by the BREW Partner Pavilion to see the latest applications that BREW developers are creating. Eight BREW-developer companies will feature demonstrations of their applications on a variety of handsets, including the following:
- Chasma - Chasma will unveil two new games for the BREW platform. Gem Jam is an exciting puzzle game, and Desert Raid is a military simulation game that allows players to test their skills with several "training missions."
- Eyematic - Eyematic will demonstrate its wireless authoring tools, Eyematic Xpression and Eyematic Avatar Editor, which offer character creation and real-time content authoring to professional wireless content developers.
- OmniSky - OmniSky will showcase its Hollywood.com application that enables users to find times, locations and reviews of the latest movies. This is the first in a suite of BREW applications OmniSky is making available to carriers and other wireless service providers through its Oxygen platform, which offers a rich and compelling wireless data experience.
- NuvoStudios - NuvoStudios will demonstrate several game titles including Blackjack, Linkem, Brain Check and Tic Tac Toe.
- Summus - Summus will demonstrate the multimedia capabilities of its new BlueFuel( architecture.
- Togabi - Togabi will exhibit its streaming multimedia platform consisting of a thin-client media player, which allows consumers to run audio and video clips on wireless handsets.
- Visto - Visto will demonstrate its mLynx™ Sync for BREW messaging application for wirelessly accessing and managing corporate emails and contacts.
- Webraska - Webraska will debut its new wireless location-based applications, including dynamic directions, maps and real-time traffic services.
QIS representatives will also be participating in educational sessions at the conference. Rob Chandhok, senior director of business development for QIS, will be speaking on a panel entitled, "Content Creation, Repurposing and Transcoding." The panel, scheduled for 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. on Sept. 11, will discuss why and how to create new content for the wireless Internet.
Chandhok's discussion will explain how easy it is for content developers to create applications for the BREW platform - offering them the opportunity to develop new content and make it available to customers on multiple BREW-enabled devices. Chandhok will describe how the BREW platform is poised to become the applications platform of choice for wireless carriers, handset manufacturers, applications developers and consumers.
On Sept. 12, Mike Yuen, QIS product manager, will speak on a panel at the iWireless Forum entitled, "The Future of Mobile Entertainment." Qualcomm is sponsoring this event, which will be held from 6-9 p.m. at the Westin Horton Plaza Hotel in San Diego. The event is expected to draw approximately 200 attendees to discuss the issues facing the wireless industry.
Yuen will be discussing how the BREW platform provides an optimal environment for the development of mobile entertainment applications, such as games, music delivery and entertainment news. He will highlight the benefits of the BREW platform for carriers and developers of entertainment applications - including the transportability of BREW-enabled applications and the platform's unique revenue model for developers.
Live CTIA Web Updates
Live daily reports about QIS activities at CTIA Wireless I.T.&Internet 2001 will be available each afternoon at http://insertlink.com. Visitors will be able to view photographs of QIS activities and read updated QIS news at the end of each day throughout the conference.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company's Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital technology. The Company's business areas include CDMA chipsets and system software; technology licensing; the BREW applications platform; Eudora® e-mail software; digital cinema systems; and satellite-based systems including portions of the Globalstar™ system and wireless fleet management systems, OmniTRACS® and OmniExpress™. Qualcomm owns patents that are essential to all of the CDMA wireless telecommunications standards that have been adopted or proposed for adoption by standards-setting bodies worldwide. Qualcomm has licensed its essential CDMA patent portfolio to more than 100 telecommunications equipment manufacturers worldwide. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in theS&P500 Index and is a 2001 FORTUNE 500® company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the Company's ability to successfully design and have manufactured significant quantities of CDMA components on a timely and profitable basis, the extent and speed to which CDMA is deployed and the BREW platform is adopted, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 24, 2000, and most recent Form 10-Q.
Qualcomm, OmniTRACS and Eudora are registered trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated. OmniExpress and BREW are trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated. Globalstar is a trademark of Loral Qualcomm Satellite Services, Incorporated. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
September 10, 2001September 10, 2001