Apr 19, 2001SAN DIEGO
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leader in digital wireless communications and advanced electronic messaging solutions for the Internet, today announced the commercial release of Eudora® 5.1 software, the popular e-mail program for Windows® and Macintosh® users. The new version offers support for the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) Internet security standard, enabling more secure connections for sending and receiving e-mail. Users of the new Eudora software will have greater levels of privacy and security when using e-mail and conducting online transactions from their home computers.
Qualcomm's Eudora 5.1 e-mail program provides time-saving tools to better manage e-mail and communicate more effectively and securely. Eudora 5.1 e-mail software introduces the following new features:
- Support for RSA SSL Security - Includes the widely used RSA SSL security for heightened privacy. Allows secure connections through POP, IMAP or SMTP servers for sending and receiving e-mail.
- Support for Apple Computer's Mac OS X - Provides users with a native solution for e-mail under Mac OS X. Eudora is the first third-party e-mail client available natively for Mac OS X. This version of Eudora is currently in beta test and can be downloaded at www.eudora.com.
- Improved Eudora Sharing Protocol Feature - Enhanced Wizard guides users through the set-up process for file sharing. Supports file moves and illustrates share group file updates in an activity log in the user interface.
- Netscape Messenger Importing - Supports importing of e-mail, settings and address book to the desktop client version of Netscape Messenger (Windows Eudora 5.1 only).
- Address Book Syncing - Mac users are now able to synchronize address book entries between their desktop e-mail client and their Palm OS-based device via the EudoraMail conduit.
Eudora 5.1 is available in Sponsored and Paid modes. Consumers can access the full-featured Eudora 5.1 program for free when used in Sponsored mode, which displays advertising in the user interface. For Paid mode, in which no ads are displayed, there is a charge of $49.95 (MSRP). Eudora 5.1 e-mail software can be downloaded atwww.eudora.com.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company's Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital technology. The Company's business areas include CDMA integrated circuits and system software; technology licensing; the Binary Runtime Environment for Wireless™ (BREW™) applications platform; Eudora® e-mail software; digital cinema systems; and satellite-based systems including portions of the Globalstar™ system and wireless fleet management systems, OmniTRACS® and OmniExpress™. Qualcomm owns patents that are essential to all of the CDMA wireless telecommunications standards that have been adopted or proposed for adoption by standards-setting bodies worldwide. Qualcomm has licensed its essential CDMA patent portfolio to more than 100 telecommunications equipment manufacturers worldwide. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in theS&P500 Index and is a 2000 FORTUNE 500® company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the Company's ability to successfully market and distribute the Eudora software, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 24, 2000, and most recent Form 10-Q.