Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leader in digital wireless communications and advanced electronic messaging solutions for the Internet, today announced the commercial release of Eudora Internet Suite™ (EIS™) 2.0 for the Palm Computing™ platform. EIS 2.0 software enables users of Palm OS™-based handheld devices to send and receive email and browse the Internet with a wireless or wireline modem. It also synchronizes with Windows® desktop email via the HotSync™ feature.
EIS 2.0 software gives users the power to manage multiple email accounts on their Palm OS-based handheld device. The software also features an enhanced email user interface that supports multiple signatures, an expanded sort capability, and the ability to beam messages and browser bookmarks to other Palm OS-based devices.
"Qualcomm is meeting consumers' growing demands for faster, more flexible technology," said Jeffrey K. Belk, senior vice president and general manager of Qualcomm Eudora Products. "As a leader in wireless and Internet technology, Qualcomm continues to evolve the Eudora product line to give consumers powerful new tools that allow for greater flexibility in how, when and where they access email and the Web."
Powerful New Features Manage Email Efficiently, Enhance Communication
Eudora Internet Suite 2.0 bundles three components to deliver the best email and browser combination for the Palm OS. These components are Eudora® email software for the Palm OS platform, the Eudora Mail Conduit™ (Windows only) and EudoraWeb™ browser for the Palm OS platform. A mail conduit for Mac OS is currently under development.
Eudora for the Palm OS platform - EIS 2.0 software allows users to send and receive email from their Palm OS-based device. Email management is made easier with the following new features:
- Support of multiple email accounts which allows users to check and/or send mail one account at a time or several at once, to select which account a message is sent by, and to filter by account.
- An enhanced user interface lets users perform filing and deleting actions on multiple messages. Users can resize and reorder mailbox columns, including sender, date, subject and status. It also includes an expanded sort capability.
- A detailed message display shows abbreviated, full or raw message headers and full message priority. Users can tap on the message headers to address a new message.
- The address capture feature allows users to save addresses from received messages to the Palm address book. Users can select any address in the header.
- Extended authentication supports the SMTP AUTH protocol, needed to send email with some ISPs. EIS 2.0 software's SMTP AUTH and POP support all popular authentication mechanisms and automatically selects the most secure mechanism.
- The new account creation wizard guides users as they create new email accounts.
- Support for multiple signatures that can be appended to outgoing messages.
- Support for beaming of email messages between Palm OS-based devices running EIS 2.0 software.
- The automatic disconnect option allows users to disconnect from the network after an email check is complete.
Eudora Mail Conduit - The Eudora Mail Conduit software enables users to synchronize their Windows desktop email with their Palm OS device quickly and efficiently. EIS software is compatible with Eudora email and other common desktop email programs.
EudoraWeb browser for the Palm OS Platform - With a dial-up Internet access account, users can browse virtually any destination on the Web with EIS 2.0 software. The browser is based on TCP/IP, HTTP/HTML standards, eliminating the need for a proxy server. EIS 2.0 software adds support for beaming bookmarks between Palm OS-based devices running EIS 2.0.
EIS 2.0 can be accessed three ways: unregistered, registered and unlimited sync. Unregistered and registered uses are free and sync only with desktop Eudora software in versions 4.3.2 and higher in Sponsored and Paid modes. Unlimited sync costs $29.95 (MSRP) and is compatible with most other desktop email programs. Eudora Internet Suite 2.0 software is available now for download at www.eudora.com.
To take advantage of the Internet functionality offered by EIS 2.0 software, a user must have a Palm OS device with 500Kb RAM free and modem access to the Internet (wireless or wired). The Internet functionality of Eudora email for Palm OS devices can also be accessed via the HotSync feature.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company's Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital technology. The Company's business areas include integrated CDMA chipsets and system software; technology licensing; Eudora email software for Windows and Macintosh® computing platforms; satellite-based systems including portions of the Globalstar™ system and wireless fleet management systems, OmniTRACS® and OmniExpress™. Qualcomm owns patents which are essential to all of the CDMA wireless telecommunications standards that have been adopted or proposed for adoption by standards-setting bodies worldwide. Qualcomm has licensed its essential CDMA patent portfolio to more than 90 telecommunications equipment manufacturers worldwide. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in theS&P500 Index and is a 2000 FORTUNE 500® company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the Company's ability to successfully design and have manufactured significant quantities of CDMA components on a timely and profitable basis, the extent and speed to which CDMA is deployed, change ineconomic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 26, 1999, and most recent Form 10-Q.