Sep 11, 2000SAN DIEGO
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leader in digital wireless communications and advanced electronic messaging solutions for the Internet, today announced it plans to release the commercial version of Eudora Internet Suite™ (EIS™) 2.0 by the end of this month. EIS 2.0 software includes Eudora's email client and Web browser for Palm-based handheld devices. Now in beta release, EIS 2.0 software can be downloaded at: www.eudora.com/betas. With the improvements to the Eudora® email software included in EIS 2.0, users will be able to manage multiple email accounts on their Palm-based handheld device via HotSync™ or a wireless connection. Other new features include an option for multiple signatures for each email account, the ability to perform an action on multiple messages and an expanded sort capability for email messages. EIS 2.0 software also supports beaming of bookmarks and email messages between Palm OS™-based devices.
"Qualcomm is helping to drive the wireless-Internet convergence," said Jeffrey K. Belk, senior vice president and general manager of Qualcomm Eudora Products. "With Eudora Internet Suite 2.0, Qualcomm makes access to email and the Web as easy and convenient on Palm-based devices as it is on the desktop."
Eudora Internet Suite
EIS 2.0 software includes three components, which will be available in one easy download:
- Eudora for the Palm OS platform: EIS 2.0 allows users to send and receive email from multiple email accounts using their Palm OS handheld device.
- Eudora Mail Conduit™: The Eudora Mail Conduit software enables users to synchronize their Windows desktop email with their Palm OS handheld device quickly and efficiently. EIS software is compatible with Eudora email and other common desktop email programs, such as Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express. EIS software syncs mail especially well with Eudora 5.0, released today.
- EudoraWeb browser for the Palm OS platform: With a dial-up Internet access account, users can browse virtually any destination on the Web with EIS 2.0 software. The browser is based on TCP/IP, HTTP/HTML standards, eliminating the need for a proxy server.
Users will have access to EIS 2.0 software in one of three ways: unregistered, registered and unlimited sync. All three options allow for POP/SMTP access via any Internet or data connection. Unregistered and registered use is free and syncs only with desktop Eudora software in versions 4.3.2 and higher in Sponsored and Paid modes. Registered installation uses the registration code from the user's desktop Eudora email software. Unlimited sync costs $29.95 (MSRP) and is compatible with most other desktop email programs.
To take advantage of the Internet functionality offered by EIS 2.0, a user must have:
- A Palm device with 450 KB RAM free and either a wireless or wired modem; or
- A data-capable mobile phone with a cable connection to a Palm OS device (Palm OS 3.3 or higher when using I.R.); and
- Dial-up access to an Internet service provider.
Qualcomm Incorporated (www.qualcomm.com) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company's Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital technology. The Company's business areas include integrated CDMA chipsets and system software; technology licensing; Eudora email software for Windows® and Macintosh® computing platforms; satellite-based systems including portions of the Globalstar™ system and wireless fleet management systems, OmniTRACS® and OmniExpress™. Qualcomm owns patents which are essential to all of the CDMA wireless telecommunications standards that have been adopted or proposed for adoption by standards-setting bodies worldwide. Qualcomm has licensed its essential CDMA patent portfolio to more than 80 telecommunications equipment manufacturers worldwide. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Qualcomm is included in theS&P500 Index and is a 2000 FORTUNE 500® company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the ticker symbol QCOM.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the Company's ability to successfully design and have manufactured significant quantities of CDMA components on a timely and profitable basis, the extent and speed to which CDMA is deployed, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 26, 1999, and most recent Form 10-Q.