Feb 8, 1999NEW ORLEANS
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, today announced it has signed an agreement with Matsushita Electronic Components Co. Ltd., contemplating the formation of an alliance for the development and manufacture of the new CRM3000™ CDMA Radio Modules (CRMs)."Our alliance with Matsushita Electronics Components will be aimed at enabling a broader array of applications to utilize CDMA technology," said Don Schrock, president of Qualcomm CDMA Technologies. "Qualcomm CDMA Technologies' proven experience in chip and software design, coupled with Matsushita Electronics Components' expertise in radio circuitry modules, are expected to provide our customers with an alternative way to access our leading solutions through simplified RF design.""We are excited about the opportunity to work with Qualcomm to provide solutions to the broad range of existing CDMA equipment manufacturers as well as to new entrants into the market," said Keisuke Utsunomiya, general manager, HFPD, Matsushita Electronics Components Co., Ltd. "The worldwideCDMA market is expanding rapidly. By leveraging Matsushita's Radio Frequency (RF) technologies in building high quality RF modules for the consumer industry into CDMA applications, customers can quickly get a new product ready for production."These highly compact pre-tested CRMs will contain complete RF circuitry for CDMA handsets and interface with Qualcomm's MSM3000 chip, enabling very fast design and manufacture of CDMA subscriber products, even with limited in-house RF design resources. The normal design effort and know-how associated with the radio section will be simplified and development taskswill be streamlined for all CDMA-based wireless communications solutions. In addition, the small footprint of the new CRM will allow customers toutilize them in a wide variety of small form-factor devices.In addition to cellular handsets, other CDMA-based applications for the CRM3000 modules will include smartphones, PDAs, personal computers, PC cards, telemetry and monitoring equipment, and a variety of data transmission equipment. The new CRM3000 module will be on display at the CTIA '99 trade show in New Orleans, La. this week in Qualcomm's booth,number 3125. Initial shipment of the modules is anticipated in late 1999.Features of the CRM3000 modules will include:
- All transmit and receive signal processing circuitry from baseband through RF;
- Qualcomm's IFT3000™ and IFR3000™ fully integrated Intermediate Frequency (IF) chipset in Bump Chip Carrier (BCC) packages which interface with the MSM3000;
- Compliance with various CDMA systems, including IS-95/98, J-STD-008/018, ARIB-T53;
- High density mounting and ultra-miniature Surface Mount Device (SMD) components; and
- Supply voltage compatibility for platforms utilizing a single-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery design.
The CRM3000 modules will provide numerous advantages for customers:
- Significantly reduced development and production lead times Full advance verification of radio performance allows handset manufacturers toefficiently utilize their radio engineering resources to pursue additional development efforts concurrently and to substantially shorten overall product development cycles;
- A complete CDMA wireless air interface functional module The fully functional modules will be designed to utilize the capabilities of the MSM3000 chipset and software;
- Small handset design Matsushita's high-density mounting technology and its small SMD components offer an extremely compact radio design solution, giving manufacturers greater flexibility in the design and development of their handsets; and
- Certified quality assurance and reliability for volume production Matsushita's quality assurance system ensures the consistency of performance necessary for high reliability and production yield of the CRM.
Japan-based Matsushita Electronic Components Co., Ltd. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. (MEI) (NYSE: MC), one of the world's leading producers of electronic and electric productsfor consumer, business and industrial use.Qualcomm CDMA Technologies is the leading developer and supplier of CDMA chipsets, hardware and software solutions and tools with more than 30 million MSM chips shipped worldwide. The division supplies chipsets to the world's leading CDMA handset and infrastructure manufacturers including: ALPS ELECTRIC CO., LTD.; CASIO COMPUTER CO., LTD.; DENSO CORPORATION; FUJITSU LIMITED; Hitachi, Ltd.; Hyundai Electronics Industries Co., Ltd.; KYOCERA CORPORATION; LG Information and Communications, Ltd.; Samsung Electronics Ltd.; SANYO Electric Co., Ltd.; and Toshiba Corporation, among others.Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on the Company's CDMA digital technology. The Company's major business areas include CDMA phones; integrated CDMA chipsets and systems software; wireless infrastructure; technology licensing; and satellite-based systems including OmniTRACS® and portions of the Globalstar™ system. Qualcomm is headquartered in San Diego, Calif. Qualcomm's fiscal 1998 revenues exceeded U.S. $3 billion. For more information, please visit the Company's web site athttp://www.qualcomm.com. Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including timely product development, the Company's abilityto successfully manufacture significant quantities of CDMA or other equipment on a timely and profitable basis, and those related to performance guarantees, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 27, 1998, and most recent Form 10-Q.###