In another example of consistently meeting customer demands and leading the marketplace, Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) today announced the on-time shipment of samples for its fifth-generation chipset including the MSM3000™ single-chip Mobile Station Modem™ (MSM™) and the IFT3000 and IFR3000 fully integrated Intermediate Frequency (IF) chipset. The new low-power chipset and software solution enables design of small form-factor handsets with very long stand-by times and support for much higher data-rate services.Featuring data rates up to 86.4 kbps, a new microprocessor architecture, enhanced sleep controller and several other new features, the MSM3000 continues the high standards set by Qualcomm for integrated, single-chip solutions for manufacturers. The high data rates will be supported by IS-95B compliant infrastructure and enable effective use of handsets for a new breed of Internet applications with fast packet switched access to databases, e-mail and web browsing.The new IFT3000 and IFR3000 are the first chips incorporating the complete IF functionality for a Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) handset, from digital baseband converters to Automatic Gain Control (AGC), offering an area reduction of 45% over previous IF solutions and substantially lower power consumption.The MSM3000 interfaces directly with the IFT3000 and IFR3000, and with an RF front end, makes up the system hardware necessary for an entire IS-95A or IS-95B CDMA compliant subscriber unit. Coupled with Qualcomm's superior software and after-market support, Qualcomm's ASIC Products Division delivers the most comprehensive CDMA solution available."As predicted and on schedule, we are shipping samples of our new MSM3000, IFT3000 and IFR3000 CDMA chipset enabling our customers to continue their fast-paced development of new highly optimized CDMA products. Qualcomm has again delivered a superior solution with higher performance, lower power consumption and more versatile capabilities than our competitors. This is an important step in allowing our customers to design even more feature rich CDMA handset and data products with confidence," said Donald Schrock, president of Qualcomm's ASIC Products Division.The MSM3000 includes highly optimized CDMA building blocks, an ARM7TDMI® core MCU and several DSP cores integrated onto a single chip. The IFT3000 and IFR3000 integrate all previous IF components and provide a new power control feature, allowing dynamic power control of individual function blocks using a new Serial Bus Interface (SBI) for control by MSM3000. Target applications include subscriber units for multi-mode cellular and PCS handset and data communications devices."Qualcomm's commitment to meeting its deadlines and delivering superior, high performance products helps us meet our own customers' demands. Our relationship with Qualcomm has been built on a sense of trust and reliability in satisfying our needs in producing world-class products for consumers," said Mr. Ki Tae Lee, senior vice president and general manager, Wireless Terminals Division, Samsung Electronics.The new SuperFinger™ demodulator architecture in MSM3000 supports simultaneous demodulation of up to six or eight channels, depending on rate-set used, for a maximum speed of 86.4 kbps. The data capabilities are optimized for typical client-server, e-mail and web-browsing applications. The SuperFinger architecture uses a minimum of silicon real estate for a very cost-effective and low-power implementation.With the introduction of ARM7TDMI, the MSM family gets a higher performance microcontroller with lower power consumption and smaller relative compiled code size. To facilitate software development, the ARM peripherals have been customized by Qualcomm to facilitate in-phone debugging capabilities of production handsets. The existing MSM code base and RTOS has been ported to the ARM ensuring the smooth migration and fast implementation of new differentiated services and user interfaces.The IFT3000 includes Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs), IF mixer for upconverting analog baseband to IF, Tx power control through 85 dB dynamic range AGC, programmable PLL for generating Tx IF frequency and a general purpose Analog-to-Digital Converter (ADC) with multiple inputs. The IFR3000 includes Rx power control through 90 dB dynamic range AGC, IF mixer for downconverting IF to analog baseband and ADC for converting analog baseband to digital baseband."With our extensively tested chipset and software products and technical support, customers are guaranteed timely high-quality results without sacrificing flexibility to add their own innovations. The MSM3000 combined with IFT3000 and IFR3000 is the first CDMA single-chip baseband and fully integrated IF solution for any cellular or PCS standard supporting data rates that exceed 64 kbps enabling very long stand-by times. We are delivering a CDMA product that is highly optimized and cost efficient with feature sets carefully developed in close interaction with our customers worldwide," said Johan Lodenius, vice president of marketing for Qualcomm's ASIC Products Division.The MSM 3000, IFT3000, IFR3000 and software features:
- Data rates as high as 86.4 kbps, with full error correction;>
- Speaker dependent and independent voice recognition and voice memo functions, meeting the increasing practical and legal need for new user interfaces with hands-free operation;>
- Enhanced sleep controller for both CDMA mode and AMPS mode cutting power consumption significantly, both in the chip and entire phone. When used together with IFT3000 and IFR3000, customers can achieve an estimated 200 hours of stand-by time using an 800 mAh battery in CDMA mode and about a 2x improvement of AMPS stand-by time;>
- Support for 8k and 13k QCELP(r) and EVRC vocoders. The full EVRC solution including acoustic echo cancellation and noise suppression runs at less than 20 MIPS using an optimized DSP architecture for low power consumption;>
- The MSM3000 interfaces directly to Qualcomm's new IF chips, IFT3000 and IFR3000, which perform all transmit and receive signal processing required between digital baseband and RF. This provides customers with a complete chipset solution that when coupled with software and aftermarket support delivers the most comprehensive CDMA solution available;>
- The MSM3000, IFT3000/IFR3000 and RF front end make up all the system hardware necessary for an entire IS-95A or IS-95B CDMA compliant subscriber unit;>
- The chipset is supported by a full featured software product including functions for long stand-by times, IS-707 and IS-95B high data rates, PCS, roaming and more. All software is extensively tested and debugged in Qualcomm's CDMA laboratories and in the field, with multiple infrastructure providers' equipment, for solid CDMA performance customers can count on;>
- A Reference Design that demonstrates the new chipset and software will be available for customers in September of this year and, together with a complete suite of software design tools, will provide a platform for rapid design and differentiation; and>
- The MSM3000 has a new pinout with many similarities to previous MSM generations making it backwards compatible with existing radio designs and allowing for flexibility in design. It will be fabricated in a 0.35 um process at 2.7 V min. and later in a 0.25 um process with 2.3 V min. in 196-pin PBGA and 176-pin TQFP packages. The IFT3000 and IFR3000 are provided in 48-pin TQFP packages.
The chipset will be manufactured by several world-class foundries to ensure security of supply. Production quantities are expected in late 1998.Headquartered in San Diego, Qualcomm develops, manufactures, markets, licenses, and operates advanced communications systems and products based on its proprietary digital wireless technologies. The Company's primary product areas are CDMA wireless communications systems and products, the OmniTRACS® system (a geostationary satellite-based, mobile communications system providing two-way data and position reporting services) and, in conjunction with others, the development of the Globalstar™ low-earth-orbit (LEO) satellite communications system. Other Company products include the Eudora Pro® electronic mail software, ASIC products, and communications equipment and systems for government and commercial customers worldwide. For more information on Qualcomm products and technologies, please visit the Company's web site athttp://www.qualcomm.com/
.Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward- looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including timely product development and commercial implementation of the Company's products, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 28, 1997 and most recent Form 10-Q.# # #Qualcomm, OmniTRACS, QCELP and Eudora Pro are registered trademarks and MSM andMSM3000 are trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated. Globalstar is a trademark of Loral Qualcomm Satellite Services, Incorporated and ARM is a registered trademark of Advanced RISC Machines Limited.
June 10, 1998June 10, 1998