Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM), a leader in wireless communications and advanced electronic messaging solutions for the Internet, today announced the availability of Eudora Pro Email 4.0 for the Macintosh platform. With increased performance and functionality, Eudora Pro Email 4.0 offers new features and enhancements to elevate users' productivity.
Eudora Pro Email 4.0 for Macintosh now offers multi-threading—the ability for users to send and receive messages in the background, while simultaneously performing other functions within Eudora such as creating or reviewing a message. There is also support for industry standards including LDAP and HTML. Additionally, users can now set-up a powerful filter in one step with the new "make filter" command and automatically route unwanted "spam" mail to a trash folder without having it clutter their inbox.
"Mac users now have available to them the highest degree of functionality in an Internet email client to date," said James DeBello, vice president and general manager of Qualcomm's Eudora division. "Eudora Pro Email 4.0 is the latest evolution of the world's first Internet email client, which now offer users the power to perform more efficiently and effectively."
An integral part of Qualcomm's initiative to provide users the most powerful, flexible and productive means to communicate via the Internet, Eudora Pro Email 4.0 for Macintosh combines the features of the award-winning 3.0 client with new tools to increase user productivity.
The key new features for Eudora Pro Email 4.0 for Macintosh include:
- Background Mail Checking and Sending (Multi-threading) - Users can perform multiple tasks at once and be more productive with multi-threading. Now, email messages can be downloaded and sent in the background, while users simultaneously perform other functions.
- Compose and Display Rich HTML Messages - Eudora Pro Email 4.0 supports the MIME/HTML standard, which allows users to create richer, more visually compelling messages with in-line graphics and stylized text.
- Enhanced Directory Services - Users can search Internet white pages to look up friends' and associates' email addresses. Eudora Pro Email 4.0 supports LDAP, Ph, and Finger directory services, which allows users to query multiple servers that return information in an easy to navigate user interface.
- Advanced filter system - By simplifying its powerful filter process, users can more easily manage their flow of email. Now, users can create powerful filters in one step with the new "make filter" command.
- Enhanced windows management - Users have greater flexibility and usability with the customizable interface. Users can group the windows used most into special container windows for easy access.
- Auto-expand nicknames - Users have quick and easy access to their designated nicknames. Users can type the first few characters of a nickname and the application will finish it for them.
- Auto-Configuration - Configure Eudora clients automatically through the use of ACAP (Application Configuration Access Protocol) from an ACAP server, such as Eudora WorldMail Server 2.0. This saves system administrators time getting end users up and running.
Other standard features include a built-in spell-checker, support for multiple email accounts, and Macintosh Drag-and-Drop support to attach files and manipulate text, messages, mailboxes and folders. Eudora Pro Email 4.0 continues to provide the tools to address email's three key challenges: security, virus protection and file compression.
Eudora Pro Email 4.0 software for the Macintosh platform is now available for an estimated street price of $39. All Eudora products are available on our website at http://www.eudora.com/ and through major commercial retail distributors worldwide. All Eudora Pro software has extensive on-line help, including context sensitive help for users, and 90-day telephone and email technical support.
With over 18 million users, the Eudora family of software products is the world's most popular Internet email solution, providing comprehensive client/server solutions for both Internet and intranet messaging. For more information regarding the Eudora family of products, visit the Eudora World Wide Web site at http://www.eudora.com/.
Headquartered in San Diego, Qualcomm develops, manufactures, markets, licenses and operates advanced communications systems and products based on its proprietary digital wireless technologies. In addition to the Eudora family of software products, the Company's primary product areas are the OmniTRACS® system (a geostationary satellite-based, mobile communications system providing two-way data and position reporting services), CDMA wireless communications systems and products and, in conjunction with others, the development of the Globalstar® low-earth-orbit (LEO) satellite communications system. Other Company products include ASIC products and communications equipment and systems for government and commercial customers worldwide. For more information on Qualcomm products and technologies, please visit the Company's web site at http://www.qualcomm.com/.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including timely product development and commercial implementation of the Company's CDMA technology, continued growth in the CDMA subscriber population and the scale up and operations of CDMA systems, timing and receipt of license fees and royalties, the Company's ability to successfully manufacture significant quantities of CDMA or other equipment on a timely and profitable basis and those related to performance guarantees, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 28, 1997 and most recent Form 10-Qs. Information regarding the number of Eudora Light and Eudora Pro users provided by the Research Spectrum, December, 1996.
# # #
Qualcomm, OmniTRACS, Eudora, Eudora Pro and Eudora Light are registered trademarks and Eudora WorldMail is a trademark of Qualcomm Incorporated. Globalstar is a trademark of Loral Qualcomm Satellite Services, Incorporated. Windows and Windows NT are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries. Macintosh is a registered trademark of Apple Computer, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.