Dec 17, 1997SAN DIEGO
Qualcomm products mentioned within this press release are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ:QCOM), a world leader in wireless communications and advanced electronic messaging solutions for the Internet, today announced the availability of Eudora WorldMail Server 2.0, a follow up to its highly-successful and award-winning Internet and intranet email server product.
Eudora WorldMail Server 2.0 is an advanced, scaleable solution perfect for small- to medium-sized businesses that are looking to add electronic messaging to their business, or bring control of its email in-house but have been concerned with potential administrative burden. It is also ideal for Internet service providers who need a powerful and reliable solution to serve their customers. Eudora WorldMail 2.0 offers enhanced features and performance while simplifying administration and automating Eudora® client software set-up.
"As the developer of the world's most popular Internet email solutions, Qualcomm continues to offer the most comprehensive solutions for electronic messaging needs," said James DeBello, vice president and general manager, Qualcomm's Eudora Division. "When installed along with our market-leading Eudora Pro client software, Eudora WorldMail Server 2.0 software gives our customers a feature-rich and scaleable communications solution."
Key benefits of Eudora WorldMail Sever 2.0 include:
- Lower cost of ownership than closed, proprietary systems because of native support for Internet standards which helps to reduce overhead and increase reliability,
- Easier email administration with browser-based management tools and remote console capabilities,
- Greater ease-of-use through the group account management Java applet and enhancements to the management center, and
- Open, Internet standards-based messaging which eliminates the need for gateways and provides superior interoperability.
New features of the innovative server software, available for the Windows NT® platform v. 4.0 or later, include:
- Group Account Manager (GAM) allows "group managers" to add, modify or delete users and distribution lists from a Java-enabled browser. Group managers can effectively administer user accounts from any computer that has browser software.
- Automatic client configuration of Eudora software makes setting up new users easier for both the administrator and the user; only a few clicks on the server are required--supported by Eudora Pro and Eudora Light™ for Windows v.3.0.5 or higher and Eudora Pro and Eudora Light for Macintosh v3.1.3 or higher.
- Dramatically faster LDAP directory services significantly increases the speed of database queries due to a high-powered, fully-indexed database engine replacement.
- Domain specific connection schedules may be specified by the administrator for defining when email is sent and retrieved for specific domains from the Internet host.
- Simplified individual account management options give the administrator easy to administer check boxes to enable/disable accounts, make user accounts time expiring, or specify log-in time restrictions.
Pricing and Availability
Estimated street price (ESP) is $159 for a 10-mailbox system which includes Eudora Light and Eudora Migration Utilities on a single CD-ROM. Also available is a 10-mailbox add-on pack for $99 ESP. Volume licensing is available for those sites that require 25 or more mailboxes.
For those users who require advanced client email features and functionality, Eudora Pro Email 4.0 or Eudora Pro CommCenter(TM) 4.0 is available at an additional cost as an alternative to Eudora Light.
Eudora WorldMail Server 2.0 will be available within 30 days through resellers worldwide as well as the Division's website at http://www.eudora.com.
For existing Eudora WorldMail Server 1.x customers, Qualcomm is offering a free upgrade. Details of this upgrade will be emailed to the registered users of WorldMail 1.x.
With 18 million users, the Eudora family of software products is the world's most popular Internet email solution, providing comprehensive client/server solutions for both Internet and intranet messaging. For more information regarding the Eudora family of products, visit the Eudora World Wide Web site at http://www.eudora.com.
Headquartered in San Diego, Qualcomm develops, manufactures, markets, licenses and operates advanced communications systems and products based on its proprietary digital wireless technologies. In addition to the Eudora family of software products, the Company's primary product areas are the OmniTRACS® system (a geostationary satellite-based, mobile communications system providing two-way data and position reporting services), CDMA wireless communications systems and products and, in conjunction with others, the development of the Globalstar™ low-earth-orbit satellite communications system. Other Company products include ASIC products and communications equipment and systems for government and commercial customers worldwide. For more information on Qualcomm products and technologies, please visit the Company's web site at http://www.qualcomm.com.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 28, 1997 and most recent Form 10-Qs. Information regarding the number of Eudora Light and Eudora Pro users provided by the Research Spectrum, December, 1996.