Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ:QCOM), a leader in wireless communications and advanced electronic messaging solutions for the Internet, today announced the availability of Eudora Light™ 3.0.1 software for the Windows platform, an enhanced, feature-rich version of its award-winning Internet e-mail freeware. With 18 million users, the Eudora® family of software products is the world's most widely-used Internet e-mail solution.
Eudora Light 3.0.1 software for the Windows platform is now available as afree download from the Qualcomm Eudora division's website http://www.eudora.com, which also features Eudora Light 3.0.1 for the Macintosh® freeware. Eudora Light 3.0.1 software for Windows can also be downloaded at CNET's SHAREWARE.COM and DOWNLOAD.COM for the first seven days of its availability.
"We have built a strong and loyal customer base of 18 million people bymaking our products, such as Eudora Light, the most powerful and accessible of any Internet software product in the world," said Craig Brenner, director of Worldwide Marketing for Qualcomm's Eudora division. "According to a recent study by The Research Spectrum, a majority of the Eudora Pro software users surveyed used Eudora Light software before upgrading to commercially available Eudora Pro."
Brenner noted that The Research Spectrum study confirmed the success ofQualcomm's marketing strategy of building interest among users through distribution of highly functional freeware. That strategy will also be bolstered by the inclusion of Eudora Light software for Windows in Qualcomm's incentive program for Internet Service Providers (ISPs), which was announced in December. Brenner noted that participating ISPs can earn cash and other incentives for Eudora software purchased and registered by their customers. ISPs can get further information about the program at http://www.eudora.com/ISP.
Leveraging its reputation as an easy-to-use e-mail solution for new Internet users, Eudora Light 3.0.1 software now offers some of the same productivity-enhancing features as Eudora Pro™ software, making it the perfect start-up e-mail software for home and small business users. Major features include:
- Basic Filters: Offers the power and flexibility to organize and manage e-mail automatically.
- Mail Server Interaction: Allows control of mail transfers and storage on the POP server. Users can limit the size of messages they want automatically downloaded or limit how long they want deleted messages to stay on the server.
- Floating Dockable Mailbox Window: Provides users with a window for simple mailbox and folder management (works with Windows 95 or Windows NT only).
- Drag-and-Drop Capabilities: Simplifies making file attachments and manipulating mailboxes, messages and large amounts of text.
- Active URL Links: Users can double-click on a URL inside of a message to automatically open their favorite web browser or other Internet application.
- New Extended Messaging Services API (EMSAPI): Programming interface that makes it easier for other software applications to simply plug into Eudora software. For example, language conversion software may be developed that can translate a message from English to another language, or a security application may be created that can automatically encrypt/decrypt messages. Third-party developers interested in EMSAPI can get information on the Eudora website.
- Interpretive Stylized Text: The ability to read stylized text as created by Eudora Pro 3.0 software and other e-mail applications following the MIME specification for Rich Text Formatting.
- MAPI: The Windows version supports Microsoft's Messaging Application Programming Interface, which allows users to send messages from within MAPI-compliant applications without having to switch out of that application.
While Eudora Light 3.0.1 software offers significant productivity enhancements over previous versions of the popular freeware, Eudora Pro 3.0 software will continue to provide the much higher level of functionality and flexibility needed by users who process e-mail on a regular basis. Some of the key Eudora Pro 3.0 software features that are not included in Eudora Light 3.0.1 freeware are the user configurable toolbar; access to multiple e-mail accounts; more extensive set of filtering capabilities, including auto-reply and forwarding; spell checking; composition of stylized text; expanded address book capabilities and creation of stationery templates.
With over 18 million users, the Eudora family of software products is the world's most widely-used Internet e-mail solution, providing comprehensive client/server solutions for Internet/intranet messaging. Available for the Windows®, Macintosh® and Newton® platforms, Eudora Light and Eudora Pro are best-of-class Internet e-mail client software products. Eudora Pro3.x has powerful features that deliver exceptional levels of productivity, ease-of-use and flexibility for users who process high volumes of Internet e-mail, while Eudora Light 3.0.1 software sets new standards for Internet e-mail freeware with a wide range of enhanced capabilities. Eudora WorldMail™ Server is a powerful server software that provides fast, reliable messaging services for the Windows NT™ platform.
OEM and bundling agreements include industry leaders such as Microsoft, IBM, NETCOM and 3Com. Eudora Pro software has been licensed to a wide range of corporations including MCI, Cisco, GTE, Lockheed Martin and Schlumberger. Many of the world's leading universities, including MIT, Stanford, The University of California, Brown and Cornell, also use Eudora Internet e-mail software.
Headquartered in San Diego, Qualcomm develops, manufactures, markets, licenses and operates advanced communications systems and products based on its proprietary digital wireless technologies. The Company's primary product areas are the OmniTRACS® system (a geostationary satellite-based, mobile communications system providing two-way data and position reporting services), CDMA wireless communications systems and products and, in conjunction with others, the development of the Globalstar™ low-earth-orbit (LEO) satellite communications system. Other Company products include the Eudora family of electronic messaging software, ASIC products, and communications equipment and systems for government and commercial customers worldwide. For more information on Qualcomm products and technologies, please visit the Company's web site at http://www.qualcomm.com.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, including timely product development and commercial implementation of the Company's CDMA technology, continued growth in the CDMA subscriber population and the scale up and operations of CDMA systems, timing and receipt of license fees and royalties, the Company's ability to successfully manufacture significant quantities of CDMA or other equipmenton a timely and profitable basis and those related to performance guarantees, change in economic conditions of the various markets the Company serves, as well as the other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 29, 1996 and most recent Form 10-Qs.
# # #