Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ:QCOM), a leader in wireless communications and advanced electronic messaging solutions for the Internet, today announced the worldwide availability of Eudora Pro 3.0 software for Windows. Eudora Pro 3.0 software offers numerous new features, including enhanced message filtering, a new plug-in architecture and support for multiple email accounts, making it one of the most powerful email management and productivity tools available. EudoraPro 3.0 for Windows supports the Microsoft® Windows 3.1, Windows 95 and Windows NT operating systems.
As part of Qualcomm's initiative to deliver the most powerful, productive and easy-to-use messaging environment, Eudora Pro 3.0 software features a new plug-in architecture called Extended Messaging Services Application Programming Interface (API). With it, users will have access to plug-in applications that significantly enhance the functionality of Eudora Pro software, including human language translation, compression, image format conversion, content analysis, and data security services.
"Eudora Pro 3.0 software is the premier messaging solution for Internet andintranet communications," said Craig Brenner, Director of Worldwide Marketing, Eudora Division of Qualcomm. "The new features and plug-in architecture, combined with our ongoing commitment to standards-based messaging, give Eudora Pro 3.0 software the highest functionality, interoperability and usability possible. With this latest version, Eudora Pro software eclipses simple text-based email and takes electronic messaging to the next generation."
Key features of Eudora Pro 3.0 include:
- More Powerful Filters: Greater power and flexibility to organize and manage email automatically. Actions include automatic reply, forward and notify applications.
- Multiple Email Accounts: Users can now access different Internet mailserver accounts from within a single copy of Eudora Pro 3.0.
- Capability-Enhancing Plug-ins: The new Extended Messaging Services API allows other applications that support the API to work directly with Eudora Pro software. Plug-in applications could include human language translation, data compression, image format conversion, content analysis, and data security services.
- Improved Text Formatting: Users can incorporate various fonts, font sizes, styles, colors, and layout options to give messages the look of word-processed documents (works with Windows 95 or Windows NT only).
- Drag & Drop Capabilities: Simplifies making file attachments and manipulating mailboxes, messages, and large amounts of text.
- New Configurable Toolbar: It is now even easier to access key commands and customize the toolbar to suit each individual user. Users can create new buttons for many Eudora commands (works with Windows 95 or Windows NT only).
- Floating Dockable Mailbox Window: Provides users with a window for simple mailbox and folder management (works with Windows 95 or Windows NT only).
- Enhanced Address Book: Users can create multiple address books that include email addresses, group lists, physical addresses, telephone and fax numbers.
- New Support for Stationery: Users can now create templates for outgoing messages and use them in automatic responses.
- Improved Mail Server Control: Allows control of mail transfers and storage on the email server. Users can limit the size of messages they want automatically downloaded or limit how long they want deleted messages tostay on the server.
- Multiple Signatures: Users can create and use many different signatures to personalize messages.
Eudora Pro 3.0 software helps users be more productive by managing their electronic communications. This is accomplished through sophisticated sorting and labeling, hierarchical mailboxes, and its powerful message filtering capability. Message filtering is the feature email users say is most important, according to a recent survey of over 2,000 computer magazine readers. Moreover, the new configurable toolbar makes it even easier to access key commands and customize the toolbar to suit individual users. Users can also set buttons to correspond to function keys and create new buttons for most Eudora commands.
The software also supports Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) standard stylized text so users can incorporate various fonts, font sizes, colors, and layout options to give messages the look of word-processed documents. In addition, just as web browsers can be configured so that hot-links for email can automatically open a Eudora Pro message, Eudora Pro 3.0 software recognizes active Internet hot-links (Uniform Resource Locators or URLs) for the World Wide Web, FTP and email. Now with Eudora Pro and your favorite browser, you can double-click an email link in your browser to switch to Eudora Pro and double-click a web link in an email message to have Eudora Pro software signal your browser to jump to that web page.
With over 10 million users worldwide, Qualcomm's Eudora software products are the industry's most popular Internet email solution. A study by International Data Corporation concluded that Qualcomm with its Eudora Pro software is the dominant leader in the worldwide Internet email software market, with 63.5 percent of installed mailboxes and 70.9 percent share of all new Internet mailboxes, as of December 1995. A survey of Internet users conducted by Matrix Information Directory Services (MIDS) of Austin, Texas, a leading authority on the Internet and its growth, concluded that over 60 percent of educational institutions and over 50 percent of organizations on the Internet use Eudora software for communication.
Price and Availability
Eudora Pro 3.0 software for Windows is now available through over two dozen worldwide distributors, including Ingram Micro, where Eudora Pro software has been on the best seller list for nearly a year. The software is available to consumers through a wide variety of retail outlets, including Egghead Software, Comp USA, MicroCenter and Fry's, as well as through major computer catalogs and on-line software stores.
Eudora Pro 3.0 software for Windows carries a suggested list price of $89 and is available now. Current Eudora Pro 2.x software users can purchase the 3.0 upgrade at suggested list price of $39. Both the full version and the upgrade can also be purchased electronically from the Eudora Web site for $69 and $29, respectively (U.S. and Canada only). Customers who purchased Eudora Pro 2.x software for Windows after Monday, July 15, 1996 are eligible to receive the electronic upgrade free with proof of purchase. For additional product or dealer information, contact Qualcomm's Eudora division at 1-800-2-EUDORA or visit the Eudora web site at http://www.eudora.com.
Introduced in 1988, Eudora software was among the first applications to enable user-friendly Internet email management via a graphical interface. Products in the Eudora software family have been either licensed for distribution or purchased for use by a large number of key industry players. These companies include Microsoft, AT&T, Apple, MCI, Cisco, GTE, Lockheed Martin, and Schlumberger. Eudora software is also used for Internet email by many of the world's leading universities including MIT, Stanford, the University of California, Brown and Cornell.
The company is currently shipping its Macintosh®-based Eudora Pro 3.0 product, which adds many of the same features in Eudora Pro 3.0 for Windows software.
About the Eudora Family
Qualcomm's award-winning Eudora Pro™ and Eudora Light™ software are Internet-based email packages that deliver exceptional levels of functionality, ease-of-use and flexibility. Originally introduced in 1988, Eudora® software is the world's most popular Internet email software with an estimated 10 million users worldwide. Available for the Microsoft Windows, Macintosh® and Newton® platforms, the Eudora family of software products delivers best-of-breed Internet email capabilities. Eudora Pro software offers a wide range of features including, built-in spellchecking, stylized text, user-definable message filtering, native 32-bit support for the Microsoft Windows 95 and Windows NT operating systems, support for long file names, MAPI support, color-coded message labeling and Internet hot link (URL) capabilities. The Eudora division of Qualcomm recently announced a partnership with Software.com, signaling its intent to develop comprehensive client/server solutions for electronic messaging. For more information regarding the Eudora family of products, visit the division's World Wide Web site at http://www.eudora.com.
Headquartered in San Diego, Qualcomm develops, manufactures, markets, licenses and operates advanced communications systems and products based on its proprietary digital wireless technologies. The Company's primary product areas are the OmniTRACS® system (a geostationary satellite-based, mobile communications system providing two-way data and position reporting services), CDMA wireless communications systems and products and, in conjunction with others, the development of the Globalstar low-earth-orbit (LEO) satellite communications system. Other Company products include the Eudora Pro electronic mail software, ASIC products, and communications equipment and systems for government and commercial customers worldwide. For more information on Qualcomm products and technologies, please visit the Company's web site at http://www.qualcomm.com/.