Mar 13, 2019
Qualcomm products mentioned within this post are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Sustainability is an important part of who we are at Qualcomm. From cutting company-wide greenhouse gas emissions by 15 percent, from our 2014 baseline, to positively impacting 15 million lives through our Qualcomm Wireless Reach program, since its creation in 2006, our sustainability and corporate responsibility efforts demonstrate our commitment to achieving tangible social good.
The newly launched Qualcomm Sustainability Report highlights our key accomplishments in 2018 across six sustainability priority areas: Transformative Technology, STEM education, Inclusion and Diversity, Sustainable Product Design, Privacy and Security, and Ethical Governance.
Sustainability is a strategy that drives long-term growth and profitability by including environmental, social, and governance issues in our business decisions as they relate to our key sphere of influence: our workplace, supply chain, local communities, our industry, and the public policy realm. The achievements highlighted in this year’s report help us move forward in meeting our 2020 sustainability goals and enable us to reach our 2030 sustainability vision.
Whether it’s unlocking 5G or expanding beyond mobile into industries, such as automotive and IoT, Qualcomm invents the breakthrough technologies that transform how the world connects, computes, and communicates. And sustainability remains an integral part of that roadmap.
In 2018, our key accomplishments included:
- Combining Qualcomm’s wide-ranging social impact and sustainability programs into a unified Corporate Responsibility organization, which streamlines and strengthens our mission going forward.
- Remaining committed to minimizing our environmental impacts and meeting our 2025 greenhouse gases (GHG) reduction goal. To date, we have reduced our absolute Scope 1 and Scope 2 GHG emissions by over 15 percent.
- Through our Qualcomm Wireless Reach initiative, continuing to broaden the impact of transformative technology in underserved communities throughout the world. In 2018, our programs helped enrich the lives of 3 million people by fostering entrepreneurship, improving access to education and health care, aiding in public safety, and promoting sustainable development.
- Expanding the footprint of the Qualcomm Thinkabit Lab by collaborating with over 30 institutions across the United States and abroad, serving over 47,000 students since its founding in 2014.
- Strategically collaborating for the 12th year with FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology). Through our ongoing partnership, we continue to provide hands-on experience with our technology to over 180,000 students from more than 25 countries.
- Updating our Code of Business Conduct—The Qualcomm Way—to address today’s ethical issues and introduced a refreshed set of company values that reinforce the behaviors and culture that build integrity into everything we do.
Through our products and programs, across our value chain and in our communities, the opportunities to enable customers, transform industries, enrich lives, and protect the planet for future generations are endless.