Nov 29, 2018
Qualcomm products mentioned within this post are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
As intelligent devices and services become increasingly integrated and essential in our daily lives, the demand for AI research and products is skyrocketing. If you are deep into AI, then you already know that the Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS, but formerly known as NIPS) conference is the largest gathering of AI researchers and engineers of the year. Whether you are attending NeurIPS this year or just curious what Qualcomm Technologies has in store, read on to learn about our latest papers, demos, sessions, and other highlights.
At academic conferences like NeurIPS, novel papers are the primary way to contribute innovative and impactful research in the field of AI to the rest of the community. As follow-up work to the Steerable Convolutional Neural Networks (CNNs) paper, our AI researchers co-authored the 3D Steerable CNNs paper, which was accepted by NeurIPS. The big deal about 3D Steerable CNNs is that they are equivariant to object rotations (e.g., a chair is still identified as a chair regardless of its orientation) and are data efficient (several times less data is needed to train the AI model). This makes 3D Steerable CNNs useful for a broad range of visual recognition use cases, from augmented reality (AR) and mobile phone applications to analyzing a protein.
This year, you’ll find us in booth #507, where we’ll be bringing our AI research to life through demonstrations. A few to highlight are:
- AI Model Compression: Neural-network models can be very large and compute intensive, which can make them challenging to run on the end device. Our AI research in compression techniques allows us to shrink the models, making them fast and power efficient. Our side-by-side demo of commercial phones shows how we are accelerating a human pose estimation model, resulting in an up to 4X speedup in frames per second.
- AI Voice UI: Voice is a transformative user interface (UI) that is proliferating across product categories, from smartphones and smart appliances to XR headsets and automotive. Our AI research is focused on making always-on, conversational, personalized, and private voice UI possible within the strict power and thermal budget of the end device. Our smart home demo showcases comprehensive voice UI processing on the device — what’s notable is that the file size of quantized model is less than 300 KB, which is 10X smaller than well-known smartphone models.
- AI Automotive: AI is fundamental to enhancing in-vehicle experiences as well as improving safety with Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS) as cars move towards autonomy. Our autonomous driving research is focused on developing differentiated solutions in key technology areas. We are demonstrating precise positioning and localization, camera-based perception, radar-based object detection and velocity estimation, behavior prediction, and behavior planning.
In addition to demos, we are also participating in several workshops, talks, and poster presentations as part of the NeurIPS agenda:
- December 7 (8:00 AM - 6:30 PM): Bayesian deep learning workshop
- December 7 (2:30 PM): Spotlight talk
- December 8 (8:00 AM - 6:30 PM): Intelligent transportation systems workshop
We hope to meet you at NeurIPS or future AI conferences to share our impact on AI. At Qualcomm Technologies, we make breakthroughs in fundamental research and scale them across devices and industries. This past May, to further accelerate our AI research, we created a single initiative that unifies our dedicated efforts in cutting-edge machine learning research across the company: Qualcomm AI Research. Qualcomm AI Research works hand-in-hand with the rest of company to integrate the latest AI developments and technology into our products, shortening the time between research in the lab and AI enriching our lives.
If you are excited about solving big problems with cutting-edge AI research and improving the lives of billions of people, we’d like to hear from you. We’re recruiting for several machine learning openings, such as our novel Research Associate PhD position. Come join us as we make AI breakthroughs.