Jan 6, 2015
Qualcomm products mentioned within this post are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Can you feel that? The energy? The excitement? The rush? Everyone wants MU-MIMO-enabled devices. Why? Because as more of us are carrying more devices, the need for speed is paramount. The good news is the first wave of retail networking products featuring Qualcomm® VIVE™ with the groundbreaking Qualcomm® MU | EFX technology are coming to market!
- Amped Wireless Athena – High Power AC2600 Router with Qualcomm 11ac plus MU-MIMO, is an extreme-range router.
- Linksys AC2600 Dual-Band Smart Wi-Fi Router – The ultimate home entertainment router for lag-free gaming and streaming.
- Buffalo WXR2533 router provides powerful connectivity and performance.
- TP-LINK Archer C2600 provides consumers an unexpectedly robust connection, ensuring each connection operates at the fastest capacity possible.
- TRENDnet selected the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9880 VIVE 801.22ac chipset in its extreme performance AC2600 dual band wireless router, model TEW-827DRU, because of its ground breaking performance and Qualcomm MU | EFX technology.
- And let’s not forget the first over-the-air live demonstration with AVM’s FRITZ!Box and Qualcomm Atheros’ MU-MIMO chipset at Broadband World Forum in Amsterdam…
You’ve heard us talk about it before … MU-MIMO is the crown jewel of features in the second wave of 802.11ac Wi-Fi. The first wave of 802.11ac made gigabit Wi-Fi possible. The second wave uses multitasking features like MU-MIMO to make Wi-Fi networks more efficient than ever to deliver faster connections for every smartphone, tablet and laptop.
But the trick is—while MU-MIMO does indeed make even legacy devices faster – to truly get its full benefit, you need it on both your network and the device you’re using. Its impact will continue to multiply as more MU-enabled smartphones, laptops and tablets come to market. That is why we’re excited that Acer has already committed to integrating the latest, most innovative technologies – including Qualcomm® MU | EFX – into its next-generation Aspire notebooks.
Our pioneering research on MU-MIMO technology has given us a LOT of data and information on how to optimize this fantastic feature. We studied algorithms, weighed tradeoffs, and determined the ideal solutions to bring to market to deliver the best possible performance. (Learn more here.) With gigabit Wi-Fi, users can get a “user experience with performance in line with Gigabit switches” —or, said another way, wired performance on Wi-Fi.
The bottom line is that home routers, laptops, smart phones and other devices that use our Qualcomm MU | EFX technology can support more devices while delivering up to 3x better performance for each Wi-Fi device on increasingly crowded networks. And only Qualcomm Atheros is delivering a full ecosystem of 802.11ac solutions with Multi-User MIMO to make better use of 11ac bandwidth in home and enterprise networks. Let’s face it. You know you like an adrenaline rush. So will your devices once they experience 3x faster performance with Qualcomm MU | EFX MU-MIMO technology coming soon to a retailer near you.
To learn more, check out the main Qualcomm booth at CES 2015, located in Central Hall #8252.