With nearly eight out of ten smartphone owners now using their device to assist with shopping at least once a month, retailers and brands are clearly taking notice. That’s why Qualcomm Retail Solutions, Inc., (QRS) is demonstrating the Gimbal™ Context Aware platform at NRF, Retail’s BIG Show in New York City this month.
More consumers are becoming “smartphone shoppers” and retailers are looking to mobile to better engage their customers when they’re shopping. The new path to improved in-store customer engagement is derived from a deeper understanding of the customer’s individual interests and tying these interests to their current location. This enhanced context awareness leads to higher click-through rates, faster conversion, more sales and superior customer loyalty. Context awareness is the ability to understand the customer’s interests, locations, and habits. This benefits both retailers and customers by delivering more personalized, timely, and relevant content.
Context awareness sets the stage for scenarios like:
- A shopper looking at dresses in the women’s department receives a digital coupon for a pair of her favorite brand of shoes in the retailer’s shoe department.
- Fans at a sporting event receive notifications for a free drink with the purchase of a meal at the nearest concession stand to their seat.
- An art museum sends multimedia content to a visitor, describing the works of art closest to her and suggesting other art of interest.
- Tourists passing a digital kiosk receive personalized signage and advertisements based on their specific interests.
Gimbal combines the elements needed for context awareness – geofencing, proximity detection, location-specific notifications, analytics, and, most importantly, privacy protection for consumers. In fact, Gimbal earned Truste certification due to its focus on consumer privacy. The Gimbal platform includes a front end that enables retailers and brands to easily administer content and provides APIs that developers can easily incorporate into the retailer’s apps.
Gimbal has gained tremendous momentum lately, including:
- The Miami Dolphins successfully tested Gimbal Proximity Beacons at Sun Life Stadium. As football fans move around the venue, they can enjoy an interactive game-day experience with discounts, highlight videos and personalized greetings.
- Gimbal Proximity Beacons have been designed and certified by Qualcomm Retail Solutions, Inc. to meet Apple performance standards and support apps running on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that incorporate the iBeacon™ protocol.
- Dentsu Inc., Recruit Holdings and Blogwatcher have built several branded apps for Japanese consumers around the Gimbal SDK and API. Results include higher click-through, increased gift card redemption and overall higher conversion.
For retailers, Gimbal is designed to increase sales and build loyalty by sending relevant communications to in-store customers. For online only brands, Gimbal is a way to add real-time location context to offers and content when customers are out and about.
If you’re in New York City January 13-14, visit us at NRF and see demos of apps built around Gimbal. We’ll be at Booth #601, Level 1, Hall B at the Javits Convention Center. You can also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.