Nov 20, 2013
Qualcomm products mentioned within this post are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
The world now has its first truly end-to-end commercial mobile Ultra HD solution. We at Qualcomm Technologies just introduced the next generation mobile processor in the Snapdragon 800 tier, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor. While earlier Snapdragon 800 series processors supported mobile industry-leading features like Ultra HD video capture and playback, Snapdragon 805 is the first commercial mobile processor to enable on-device Ultra HD display, including support for Ultra HD UI, gaming and imaging, as well as video capture and playback.
The Snapdragon 805 process or is our most advanced mobile processor yet and includes breakthrough connected user experiences for the next generation of smartphones and tablets.
End-to-end Ultra HD Display:
- Not only will users of Snapdragon 805 powered devices be able to enjoy the crystal-clear Ultra HD on-device display resolution, but they’ll also be able to simultaneously output Ultra HD content to an HDTV.
- With devices based on the Snapdragon 805 processor, users will be able to capture and stream Ultra HD video content on device or to an external monitor. Our own Hollywood Quality Video (HQV) format delivers further video post processing and video enhancements. And the mobile industry’s first commercial hardware support for HEVC (H.265) decode helps ensure extremely low-power HD video playback.
- Snapdragon 805 processors also enable users to take, edit and share higher quality photos in low light conditions. The world’s first commercial mobile 1GPixel/s (Giga-pixel per second) ISP (image signal processor) packs a large increase in ISP and CPP (camera postprocessor) speed and throughput, empowering users to take sharper, higher resolution photos with advanced post-processing features for low light conditions.
Graphics and Gaming:
- Snapdragon 805 powered devices are also expected to deliver smooth, sharp UIs and games at Ultra HD resolution. The new Adreno 420 GPU is the first commercial mobile GPU to introduce hardware tessellation and geometry shaders, which provide greater detail for visually stunning, realistic scenes and objects in a manner that requires less memory bandwidth and lower power consumption.
Fast, Seamless Connectivity:
- Users of devices based on the Snapdragon 805 processor will enjoy fast, seamless connected mobile experiences, thanks to our 4th generation LTE modem, the MDM9x35. It is the industry’s first commercial 20nm modem chipset and the first commercial chipset to support 40MHz LTE Advanced CA on both LTE TDD and LTE FDD duplexing modes. It also allows LTE Category 6 data rates of up to 300 Mbps download.
Using a smartphone or tablet powered by Snapdragon 805 processor is like having an Ultra HD resolution home theater in your pocket, with Ultra HD video, imaging and graphics, all built for mobile. We’re delivering the mobile industry’s first truly end-to-end Ultra HD solution, and coupled with our superior Gobi LTE modems and RF transceivers, streaming and watching content at Ultra HD resolution will finally be possible.
The Snapdragon 805 processor is sampling now and expected to be available in commercial devices by the first half of 2014.
Keep an eye out for Snapdragon 805 powered devices and other things Snapdragon via our website, Snapdragon.com.