Nov 14, 2013
Qualcomm products mentioned within this post are offered by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Whether you’re visiting family or escaping to a tropical destination for the holidays, the stress of finding an affordable flight can make it hard to leave home. Fortunately, there are some great flight-finding apps that do the hard work for you, and with a multi-tasking Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ processor at the heart of your smartphone or tablet, you can pull up flight finding apps quickly, compare prices and get ready for takeoff.
OnTheFly by ITA Software for Android offers an easy and intuitive 30-day fare finder calendar that displays price changes as you rollover different dates. Filter your search by carrier, number of stops, travel dates, airports, total mileage and carbon emissions. Once you’ve started looking, you can save recent searches and itineraries to organize your travel plans and monitor prices.
Kayak by Kayak.com, ranked the #1 trip planning app for Android and Windows Phone 8, compares and pulls flights from hundreds of travel sites, and gives you a choice of which site to book through. Flights, airlines and prices are all in one comprehensive display with the lowest fares are listed first. You can also view and manage your itinerary, look up baggage fees and track your flight status.
Hipmunk for Android wants to take the agony out of travel planning with a quick, visual timeline of flight options sorted by price, time of day and airline. You can also view city-to-city price graphs for the upcoming 90 days with the most inexpensive travel days color-coded in green. Once you’ve found your flight, get fare alerts when prices drop and then book straight from the app.
SkyScanner by Skyscanner Ltd for Android and Windows Phone 8 scans over 1,000 airlines (including low-cost carriers) and travel agents to quickly give you the best flights and trips available. The app also provides flexible flight search options like prices by month or even year. Looking to get away on a budget, but not sure where to go? SkyScanner’s “search anywhere” feature crunches billions of options and gives you the cheapest countries to visit at any given time. Plus, you can purchase airline tickets straight from the app so you can grab the last 2 seats before another traveler does.
CheapTickets by CheapTickets.com for Android lets you set a target travel price, then negotiates the best deals for you. Sign up for a CheapTickets account and get email alerts when cheap flights to the cities you want to visit are available. You can also choose to mix and match carriers for special savings and receive travel deals on vacation packages. With more than 200 searchable destinations worldwide, you’re sure to find yourself on the right flight at the right price.
Extra booking tips & tricks
Keep these tips and tricks in mind when using these apps to book your travel.
- Try booking at least 6 weeks in advance for better flights and deals.
- Don't overlook small carriers.
- Search airline sites to double check prices and deals.
- Military discounts are offered by some airlines when you book over the phone.
- One of the best times to book tickets is on Tuesday at 5 p.m. EST.
- Try waiting 24 hours after checking flights to make sure prices haven’t dropped.
- Wednesdays tend to be the cheapest days to fly.
- The first flight of the morning is usually cheapest and red eye flights can also be less costly.
- Airlines also offer discounts and deals on Twitter and Facebook.
- Mixing and matching one way tickets on different airlines can be cheaper than one roundtrip ticket
- Be sure to enroll in frequent flier and e-Reward programs to earn free flights.