Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. is building a comprehensive set of proximal connectivity solutions based on a number of technologies. Wi-Fi is a key pillar of the overall Qualcomm proximal connectivity solution.
Currently, most social networking applications rely on an infrastructure network, either cellular or Wi-Fi, for data exchange. However, enabling proximity based social networking opens up a new world of applications and user experiences ranging from mobile-to-mobile proximal gaming to IoE devices.
Imagine that a bunch of kids happened to meet together at a park, and they want to play a multi-player game. Wouldn’t it be nice if they could just open the application, and start playing their favorite game with their friends who are nearby, or share pictures and videos, and not have to worry about what network to use, how to connect and so on? In fact, it could simply be a group of co-located people at any venue that discover and participate in proximal services and applications of mutual interest.
Qualcomm Research is building an infrastructure-less, multi-peer connectivity platform that integrates discovery & connectivity, and provides a new seamless experience for proximity based applications. In addition, the technology is extremely power efficient and provides secure and robust connectivity. In addition, it is resilient to devices joining or leaving the network, allowing for a plethora of adhoc multi-peer connectivity use cases.
How does it work?
All the devices are synchronized with each other using a distributed synchronization mechanism. This distributed synchronization mechanism enables the devices to discover each other and exchange data in an extremely power efficient way. Based on this underlying synchronization, the devices wake up at predefined intervals to exchange data. The underlying technology allows you to run multiple proximity based applications at the same time.
- Always on, Low-power operation:
- Devices are synchronized, which enables low-power wake-up for discovery & data connection.
- Multimedia data speeds
- Can use any underlying 802.11 PHY
- Provides Wi-Fi like range for connectivity.
- Seamless connectivity
- Fast service discovery & connection upon application launch.
- Continuous background discovery to detect new devices, changes to existing ones
- Security & Privacy
- Provides security & user privacy for individual and group communications
- Connectivity doesn’t depend on any single device
- Seamless to devices moving in and out of network coverage
- Proximal ranging
- Accurate peer-to-peer ranging using IEEE 802.11 defined mechanism