Qualcomm® Wireless Reach™ initiative has teamed up with School in the Park (SITP), The San Diego Museum of Art, the San Diego Zoo, and the San Diego History Museum to develop unique educational Augmented Reality(AR) experiences through 3G-connected mobile devices. SITP is using Qualcomm Vuforia™, a product of Qualcomm Connected Experiences, Inc., on MoGo’s FreshAiR™ platform to enhance teaching and engage students. By supporting learning in informal settings, museums and educational institutions in San Diego’s Balboa Park are helping students to understand focal topics and draw connections between what they are learning in class and the real world.
- Museum educators reported that the activities were completely student-driven versus teacher directed, providing the students with a different sense of ownership over the experience.
- Teachers noticed that AR experiences helped students that are learning English as a second language better understand complex ecosystems, vocabulary and pronunciation.
- Educators stated that the mobile devices helped to structure students’ movement through the experience and guided their interaction with the outdoor environment, museum exhibits and with classmates. The students were able to work independently, at their own pace, with the teacher acting as a facilitator.
- Overall, student survey responses showed a positive shift in their attitudes about their ability to understand focal topics and draw connections between what they are learning in class and in the real world.
- Technology-rich activities tended to sustain high levels of student engagement and peer collaboration in comparison to less technology focused activities.