Let’s Get Ready! Mobile Safety Project
The Let’s Get Ready! mobile safety project uses a 3G mobile website,1 mobile application2 and fun content featuring Sesame Street characters to create an interactive and engaging experience that empowers families in China with young children to learn about emergency preparedness. The project emphasizes the importance of knowing your name and address, having an emergency plan, packing an emergency kit, and learning about people and places within your community that can help in an emergency.
Using a structured interview protocol as a guide, the research team conducted one-on-one interviews with a parent from each family. Of participants who responded:
- Most of the parents interviewed expressed their enthusiasm for the Let’s Get Ready! project, saying that their involvement heightened their awareness of the importance of emergency preparedness.
- Parents said the program showed a new educational approach to the topic and expressed appreciation for specific activities around emergency preparedness, such as putting together an emergency kit as a family and remembering full names and telephone numbers.
- One parent described his child’s learning of the program content, stating “He especially likes the emergency bag activity. Now he knows that he can look for the teacher, the doctor, and the policeman when he encounters an emergency. He can also call Mom and Dad.”
- Parents liked the mobility of the program, which enabled them to interact with their children in many locations other than the home, such as bus stops, relatives’ homes, school, and the police station.
- Most parents would recommend the program to other parents. In fact, during the study period, about one quarter of them spontaneously recommended the “Let’s Get Ready!” program to parents of their child’s classmates, family relatives, friends and colleagues. They offered the links and demonstrated how to download the program in some cases. A few parents also brought back positive feedback from those indirect participants.